Author Topic: Asiminaholics Anonymous  (Read 106950 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: Asiminaholics Anonymous
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
Thanks Adam! This is a multi grafted tree planted in the ground. The cluster of 3 is PA Golden and the other cluster is the Wells variety.

Ed,

is this plant in the ground or in a pot?

what variety?

nice pic amigo!
A few clusters of hand pollinated fruit from my only variety that was blooming at the time of pollinating.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 11:05:30 PM »
Pawpaw growing and fruiting in Texas. Notice how it is planted against the east side of the house. Null and other growers in Florida I would recommend the same either against a house or other structure to provide protection from after noon sun.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
Pawpaw growing and fruiting in Texas. Notice how it is planted against the east side of the house. Null and other growers in Florida I would recommend the same either against a house or other structure to provide protection from after noon sun.

Have you tried allegheny? I was trying to decide between that one and wabash. I went with allegheny but now you have me wanting a wabash too.
 My only problem is that my yard pretty much has areas of full sun or almost no sun. I put the three newly purchased whips in a full sun area since the tree that I have had in shade has grown ridiculously slow in the last 2 years. I'm just  planning to see how they handle the sun and I'll put up a shade cloth if they don't seem to do well.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »
I have not tried Allegheny. Wabash has been the best pawpaw fruit that I have tried out of all varieties that I sampled so far. I have seen the trees grow kinda slow till established then they take off after a couple years.

Ed

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »
I have not tried Allegheny. Wabash has been the best pawpaw fruit that I have tried out of all varieties that I sampled so far. I have seen the trees grow kinda slow till established then they take off after a couple years.

Ed

Is the wabash a patented variety? I was hoping to avoid buying another tree but I guess I'll have to if they can't be grafted. Just have to figure out where to plant it.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
I'm looking for good varieties too but realized that my tree is still too small to graft much onto. I was able to make one graft to the extra rootstock growth so I now has 2 varieties.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »
I'm in zone7b (Raleigh NC) and mine do best growing on the edge of shade, so they get some sun but not long extended periods of full sun. Mine are all offspring from named varieties, grown from seed, about 5 years old and 12 feet tall. They have started to sucker but I am afraid to dig the babies up for fear of damaging the long tap root. All the fruits from my 5 trees tastes the same but come in different sizes and shapes and ripens at different times (sometimes even from the same tree). One of my trees blooms and sets fruit twice each year - the normal early Spring bloom with summer fruits and an August bloom with October fruits. This same tree also goes to sleep in the fall earlier than all the others. This is the tree that happened to be blooming when my Cherimoya (greenhouse) was in bloom so I tried to hand pollinate them. I have those seeds sowed and isolated from all the other pawpaw seeds to see if they will sprout. I should be able to tell when they get their first set of true leaves since the pawpaw leaves are long and thinner than the Cherimoya. To me the pawpaw fruit flavor is as good a grocery store Cherimoya, not as good as a perfectly ripe Cherimoya in South America or California but still pretty good.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
I'm really interested in hearing more about the one that fruits twice per a year. Has it done this several years in a row?

Ed

I'm in zone7b (Raleigh NC) and mine do best growing on the edge of shade, so they get some sun but not long extended periods of full sun. Mine are all offspring from named varieties, grown from seed, about 5 years old and 12 feet tall. They have started to sucker but I am afraid to dig the babies up for fear of damaging the long tap root. All the fruits from my 5 trees tastes the same but come in different sizes and shapes and ripens at different times (sometimes even from the same tree). One of my trees blooms and sets fruit twice each year - the normal early Spring bloom with summer fruits and an August bloom with October fruits. This same tree also goes to sleep in the fall earlier than all the others. This is the tree that happened to be blooming when my Cherimoya (greenhouse) was in bloom so I tried to hand pollinate them. I have those seeds sowed and isolated from all the other pawpaw seeds to see if they will sprout. I should be able to tell when they get their first set of true leaves since the pawpaw leaves are long and thinner than the Cherimoya. To me the pawpaw fruit flavor is as good a grocery store Cherimoya, not as good as a perfectly ripe Cherimoya in South America or California but still pretty good.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 11:44:32 PM »
Asimina hybrids

By R Neal Peterson

of A. triloba and A. reticulata and A. obovata

https://m.facebook.com/100007916506104/albums/1476153569325179/?refid=17

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2015, 11:48:04 PM »
Pawpaw Orchards

By R Neal Peterson

Throughout the country.

https://m.facebook.com/100007916506104/albums/1477229989217537/?refid=17

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »
But he successfully created interspecific hybrids by crossing Asimina obvovata, A. longifolia, A. incana, and A. reticulata with A. triloba. The A. triloba x A. obovata hybrids appeared fertile. Unfortunately, Zimmerman died in 1941 before his other crosses matured. Only a tiny portion of his varietal collection was donated by his widow to the Blandy Experimental Farm: eight interspecific Asimina hybrids and four controlled crosses of 'Ketter', 'Buckman' and 'Taylor' (Flory, 1958).

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/PDF/conference/peterson03.pdf

That is great news that it hybrids with A. reticulata. Some strains of A. reticulata are really good, it could also open up the hybrids to subtropical/tropical climates.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2015, 12:57:23 AM »
Lots of work left to do! Great information for pawpaw breeders.

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »
man I can't think of a prettier tree to grow in temperate regions...or a more tropical looking one!

is that tree at your house Ed?

Make me want to plant a bunch of those here at my house, even if they don't fruit!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 02:49:01 AM »
Adam,

That tree is at the house that I lived at in the Houston area.

man I can't think of a prettier tree to grow in temperate regions...or a more tropical looking one!

is that tree at your house Ed?

Make me want to plant a bunch of those here at my house, even if they don't fruit!

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Edself65 - Last year was the first year for my trees to fruit. They all had a few flowers on them the year before but only one of them made fruit. Last year they were covered in flowers and I got all the fruit I could eat. The tree that fruited twice is one of the weaker trees in the row. It seems to suffer from drought stress even after a rain or I have hand watered it and it starts to turn yellow months before the rest of them - so I'm not too sure it is healthy. Only a few of its branches bloomed a second time last year. I was grateful for late season fruit because I got to enter them in our state fair where they won a blue ribbon! Last year I left everyone alone and most of them formed clusters of fruit (sometimes as many as 5 fruit per cluster) and this kept the fruit small. This year I plan on thinning them to see if I can get larger fruit.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
Triangle John,
I would mulch the tree that looks to be suffering from drought with a nice layer of leaves and pine needles. You may also want to provide some temporary shade from direct sun.

Ed

Edself65 - Last year was the first year for my trees to fruit. They all had a few flowers on them the year before but only one of them made fruit. Last year they were covered in flowers and I got all the fruit I could eat. The tree that fruited twice is one of the weaker trees in the row. It seems to suffer from drought stress even after a rain or I have hand watered it and it starts to turn yellow months before the rest of them - so I'm not too sure it is healthy. Only a few of its branches bloomed a second time last year. I was grateful for late season fruit because I got to enter them in our state fair where they won a blue ribbon! Last year I left everyone alone and most of them formed clusters of fruit (sometimes as many as 5 fruit per cluster) and this kept the fruit small. This year I plan on thinning them to see if I can get larger fruit.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:40 PM »
Pawpaw flower buds swelling and getting close to flowers opening.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:35:41 PM by edself65 »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »
just ordered gainesville 1 & 2 from www.justfruitsandexotics.com (looks like I got the last of the gainesville)

also got collins....

I'm ready to see if I can get some fruits at my new location (gainesville is like 1.5hr north of here..not far at all)...I'm think cold enough and wet enough for sure!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
just ordered gainesville 1 & 2 from www.justfruitsandexotics.com (looks like I got the last of the gainesville)

also got collins....

I'm ready to see if I can get some fruits at my new location (gainesville is like 1.5hr north of here..not far at all)...I'm think cold enough and wet enough for sure!

I have flowers forming on my "mango" variety. I don't have anything to pollinate with this year but it looks like it is going to flower pretty nicely. I do wish I would have planted my new ones where they get shade in the afternoon but I'm going to leave them in full sun until I see how they do.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:58 PM »
Pollinate it with itself.

also got collins....

I have flowers forming on my "mango" variety. I don't have anything to pollinate with this year but it looks like it is going to flower pretty nicely. I do wish I would have planted my new ones where they get shade in the afternoon but I'm going to leave them in full sun until I see how they do.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »

Ed
Hello my friend! The seeds you sent me last year are from wabash variety? By the way, the seedlings are doing great!  ;D

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
Glad to hear! Yes those seeds are from Wabash. That is the only variety that I have blooming and fruiting everything else is rootstock to me.

Ed

Ed
Hello my friend! The seeds you sent me last year are from wabash variety? By the way, the seedlings are doing great!  ;D

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
Glad to hear! Yes those seeds are from Wabash. That is the only variety that I have blooming and fruiting everything else is rootstock to me.

Ed

Ed
Thank's a lot!  ;D http://www.ohiopawpaw.com/PawpawProd.pdf

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:21 PM »
Great thread....thanks Ed for linking me over to it, and also thanks a ton for the pictures - that helps me a lot, as i've never seen the buds or flowers on a tree before, only fruit.

Newbie question - how long is the harvested pollen viable if kept in a sealed container? Or is the goal to immediately do the hand pollination when there is a favorable mix of mature and receptive flowers on the tree?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:31:53 PM by Triloba Tracker »

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2015, 08:36:14 AM »
No problem! Hope it can help folks successfully pollinate their pawpaw flowers.

I have stored pollen in the fridge for a couple days in a prescription bottle with good success. I haven't stored any beyond that time frame.

Ed
Great thread....thanks Ed for linking me over to it, and also thanks a ton for the pictures - that helps me a lot, as i've never seen the buds or flowers on a tree before, only fruit.

Newbie question - how long is the harvested pollen viable if kept in a sealed container? Or is the goal to immediately do the hand pollination when there is a favorable mix of mature and receptive flowers on the tree?