Author Topic: Bananas look like blossom end rot?  (Read 1155 times)

derekcentrico

• Miami Dade County, FL
    • View Profile
Bananas look like blossom end rot?
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:55:56 AM »
Howdy folks. I noticed about three weeks ago these are looking as shown in the photo. The plants have good nutrition. Another plant started dropping today so now I'm concerned on if I need to remove the old plant now to save the others if this isn't a result from the overload of rain and standing water we had for about a month. I was hoping to save some.

Any opinions appreciated.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Bananas look like blossom end rot?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »
I'm not sure.  I've never had that problem but I would for sure cut off the bananas that have the rot.  Then see what happens.  Or go to bananas.org and get educated.

Bill

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »
I know it’s usually caused by either a calcium deficiency, or tons of water following a dry period. I’ve had that happen with melons, squash and tomatoes.  I’ve usually noticed it when heavy rains follow a dry period. I always thought the plant was growing faster than it could uptake calcium due to the heavy rains.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
Could very well be a rot caused by fungus.
Biodiversity is key.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
Commercial growers in high rainfall areas all deflower the hands, removing the dried up flowers on the tips. That may reduce the source of your problems. They also use blue perforated bags.
You can see the flower removal at 1:50 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCBRKNKXl4

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Checking further looks like this has a name "Cigar end rot"

http://farmextensionmanager.com/English/Banana%20technology%20bank/pest%20doctor/Cigar%20End%20Rot.html

Cigar end rot is caused by the fungus Verticillium theobromae. The incidence of the disease is found to be high during summer season. The fungus is commonly seen in leaf trash and flowers. Conidia are disseminated in air currents and infect drying flower parts.

Mechanism of damage   
A black necrosis spread from the perianth into the tip of immature fingers. The pulp of the affected fruit undergoes a dry rot. The dry rot can spread up to 2 cm from the tip. And such fingers are readily rejected in the market.

Ideal management strategy   
• Field sanitation, such as the removal of dead, hanging leaves from plants, will reduce inoculum level.
• The floral remaining should be removed immediately after flower emergence and bunches should be covered with polyethylene bag.
• Packing stations and ripening room need to be kept clean to minimize the chances of post harvest infestation.
• Infected fingers should be removed immediately.
• Spray bunches with Indofil M 45 (0.25 %) or Bavistin (0.05 %) and later cover the bunch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk