Author Topic: Looking for a source of bulk rock dust  (Read 1724 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Looking for a source of bulk rock dust
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:35:06 PM »
Looking for a source of bulk rock dust that can deliver in Palm Beach County.
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a source of bulk rock dust
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
Consider local stone countertop makers they may have rock dust to clean up?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
I think hes specifically taking about azomite rock dust

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »
7springsfarm will drop ship a full pallet. Their prices, even with freight, are pretty reasonable. I order soft rock phosphate from them, and it comes out about $25 / 50 pound bag with freight, which is pretty decent.

http://www.7springsfarm.com/azomite-for-plants-animals-micronized-full-pallet-50-bags-price-743-75/

Although, I'm a little skeptical that it will have much in the way of benefit. Looks like mostly aluminum and silica: http://www.7springsfarm.com/content/AzomiteAnalysis.pdf

Helena Chem's 0-0-6 micronutrient package would probably be a better choice, and they deliver if you order more than $250.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:44:20 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 06:13:29 PM »
A couple of years ago, I heard of an Azomite destributor in Loxahatchie Groves.
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 06:16:06 PM »
I have seen bulk soft rock Phosphate available bulk truckloads from Tennessee and from Minnesota.
Har

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
This thread is a bit pathetic. All you need is  dust from a gravel operation that is crushing granite (because it happens to be local) into gravel. I shoveled my own load into the back of my  pickup in 1988 near Atlanta GA for free. You don't even know the original book on rock dust written about 1985 and the author said a huge global cooling was coming.

Bottom line is rock dust is very interesting. I got first hand testimony from an organic farmer who put it in his animals feed.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:07:55 AM by zands »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
This thread is a bit pathetic. All you need is  dust from a gravel operation that is crushing granite (because it happens to be local) into gravel.

Currently granite countertops are a big business and cutting/grinding/polishing creates a source for granite dust.

The idea behind rock dust is sound in that fresh finely ground rock would contain slow-release minerals. Mostly these would be igneous type rocks but sedimentary is especially good for calcium. Many soil amendments are just that- ground rocks.

If your soil contains rock you can release it's mineral content by ph adjsutment and in healthy soil plant roots can find them andd use exudates or microbial association to release them. If your soil is old and weathered, abused by cropping, or washed out sand the minerals may just be absent.

For about $20 you can get a couple of gallons of micronutrients (enough for acres) and drench or foliar spray them or like CM said use a granule.

In sand, I think lots of that runs out. To make my own slow release micronutrient package I soaked three drums of homemade charcoal with the liquid micronutrients then added that material to a high quality home made compost for a few weeks. I've put a wheelbarrow load of that around each tree and expect that should hold enough micronutrients for quite a while.

Making the charcoal:

Soaking the crushed charcoal:

Spreading the product:

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
hi pineislander , can you tell me where you find your micronutrients that cheep????

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
hi pineislander , can you tell me where you find your micronutrients that cheep????
This is from a local wholesale supplier in Florida, cost was 2.5 gal jug $18.95 gal rates are 1 gal per acre in fertigation and 1/2 gal to 1 gal for foliage or  drench application. You need to have a business license to trade with companies like this.
I think this formulation is produced generically and the price is what citrus and winter vegetable growers here in Florida expect to pay.
You may need to look for something similar in Cali among similar suppliers.