Author Topic: Today’s Harvest from the orchard  (Read 14945 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: Today’s Harvest from the orchard
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2018, 11:01:32 PM »
I’m going to be looking for cherimoyas to buy in SoCal In the next week or two if anyone here is selling some of theirs or know of a good grower to recommend, it would be appreciated. Thank you

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
looks yummy! which dragon fruit types are your favorites this year? Did you take a brix reading?

My American Beauty vine (got cutting from Simon last summer) set 3 fruits - still in green stage. The Simon's purple had 3 flowers but none set despite my effort to hand pollinate them with AB or Sugar Dragon pollen (which was probably no good since I saved/froze them a couple of months earlier). Looks like AB is self-fertile.

Since my AB fruits are so late in the season, they probably won't be as sweet. Will see in a few weeks.

I like all the dragon fruits to be honest.  S8 overall best plant probably.  A lot of the others are doing really well also.  American beauty won for taste and brix just barely over S8 but not fruiting as much as the others. 

Im going to try and move some potted plants that already fruited into the greenhouse and run Xmas lights on them. Will see if I can get winter fruit off them by extending the photoperiod.  It should be hot and sunny enough to ripen the fruit in the GH during winter.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:14:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2018, 04:19:25 PM »
The Sugar Dragon you sent me Brad is the best df I've tasted. Waiting on AB, so time will tell.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
Cosmic charlie was pretty good out of these ones we sampled today. 

Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks to Brad for the mini fruit tasting at the orchard. Today we sampled 4 different Dragonfruit varieties along with Gold Rush Apple and two different varieties of Guava.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
Dragonfruit varieties were Dark Star, Natural Mystic, San Ignacio and Physical Graffiti. The Dragonfruit were delicious and the Gold Rush Apple is the best home grown apple I’ve ever tasted. The Gold Rush Apple was solid, firm and crunchy with Dense flesh that was sweet with a perfect acid Balance. This can be one of the best apples out there.

I forget which DF variety was my favorite today, maybe Brad remembers .

Simon

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Out of the 4 DFs samples today, I like the dark star the best. Other three were also delicious. I am thinking of grafting dark star over natural mystic.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
Out of the 4 DFs samples today, I like the dark star the best. Other three were also delicious. I am thinking of grafting dark star over natural mystic.

If you are growing makisupa, its really similar to natural mystic.  Natural mystic being slightly better.  So maybe ditch the makisupa if you are getting rid of some. 
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »
That’s a good suggestion. I have two natural mystic and one makisupa so I will probably leave one NM and graft dark star and potentially condor on the two that I don’t need.

Thanks for the invite Brad. Your plants are so amazing. I’ve never seen passion fruits so big.

I don’t recall seeing your Lilikoi passion fruit though?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 05:27:20 PM »
The lilikoi is behind the banana plants next to the fredrick.  Its not that big yet, it has has had a rough start.    Animals got it a couple times but its back and had flowers on it.  I would have showed you.  It hasnt set any fruits yet but has been flowering for a few weeks.  I tried some fredrick pollen on it a few days ago so we will see.  I think I read the flavicarpas dont self pollinate which sucks.
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »
Mine lilikoi set a dozen fruits so far. I did hand pollinate most of them. They are smaller than Fredrick. Will find out if they taste better.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
Mine lilikoi set a dozen fruits so far. I did hand pollinate most of them. They are smaller than Fredrick. Will find out if they taste better.

Nice, Did you use its own pollen?  Post pics when they are ripe.
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »

Nice, Did you use its own pollen?  Post pics when they are ripe.
Agreed. I just got a cutting from Brad for the wife. Please let us know how they taste!
-Kris

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
Will do! Brad I use pollens from Fredrick whenever possible.

The Fredrick did almost nothing prior to August. It get most of the fruits from the second crop. It appears that passion fruit vines need a lot of heat to do well. In my coastal area we doesn’t get much heat prior to the summer.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2018, 06:11:06 PM »
We had a lot of successes and positive results here but today was a really bad day.  A lot of trees and plants got battered in the nasty santa ana wind the last couple days.  I went out to look at things and its not pretty.  Trees blown over, potted plants blown over, trees defoliated, fruit on the ground.  Single digit humidity, strong winds, no bueno.  Thought my house was going to lift off over the night.

Still we are lucky to not have a fire to really destroy things here.  My focus the next year will be wind and fire hardening the orchard. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »
Winds breaking my trees too. fortunately, it us clearing out dome smoke. (Not helping the fire though)Looks post apocalyptic here from the camp fire when they aren't blowing. I can barely breathe outside.
-Kris

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2018, 09:29:45 PM »
Damn, I have a bunch of potted trees knocked over too so I can only imagine how bad it is at your place where it more windy.

Simon

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
Sorry to hear, Brad.
I just put support for my sapodilla tree which was
being bent violently in these winds.

-FruitFool

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2018, 10:27:41 PM »
We had a lot of successes and positive results here but today was a really bad day.  A lot of trees and plants got battered in the nasty santa ana wind the last couple days.  I went out to look at things and its not pretty.  Trees blown over, potted plants blown over, trees defoliated, fruit on the ground.  Single digit humidity, strong winds, no bueno.  Thought my house was going to lift off over the night.

Still we are lucky to not have a fire to really destroy things here.  My focus the next year will be wind and fire hardening the orchard.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the trees will recover soon. How do you plan to wind/fire harden the plants?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2018, 09:02:23 PM »
Kang, I will clear all the native vegetation around the orchard to keep fire risk down.  And cover the fence line in vines and exterior shade trees to block the wind.

Things actually come out pretty well here.  Still getting harvests like this one from today.

Brad Spaugh

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2018, 11:49:51 PM »
Kang, I will clear all the native vegetation around the orchard to keep fire risk down.  And cover the fence line in vines and exterior shade trees to block the wind.

Things actually come out pretty well here.  Still getting harvests like this one from today.

Nice harvest Brad !
Warren

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »
pick two Lisa ripening on tree today , taste good and little chewy , second years grafted on cherimoya , still have 28 on tree .lol

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2018, 01:00:23 AM »
That's nice looking Lisa!
My super lisa scion has not been doing much for the
last 2 years,  maybe I should move it to a more dominant
branch...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:04:39 AM by Samu »
Sam

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Thanks to Brad for the mini fruit tasting at the orchard. Today we sampled 4 different Dragonfruit varieties along with Gold Rush Apple and two different varieties of Guava.

I assume the Gold Rush apple is a low chill requirement apple?

shaxs

• SoCal Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »
I am so jealous of your harvests! My dragon fruit cuttings from Brad seem to be doing well according to my parents who are shepherding them until I move to Cali. I also have started some passion fruit from seed (purple possum, banana, and granadilla sprouted. Really want the giant granadilla to sprout) and found a blue passion fruit (caerulea) locally I took some cuttings from.

I'd love to visit the Poway farm after I move Brad and see your orchard. It looks amazing.