Author Topic: When to pick Passion Fruit?  (Read 8185 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
When to pick Passion Fruit?
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:30:51 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick Passion Fruit?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
Really nice vine you have there..:)

For the purple variety... you will see all your fruit that is green right now turn to a nice purple color...

You can pick whenever they are purple...if they just start getting a small wrinkle then you're sure they are sweet and juicy.. and if too wrinkled, may turn out a bit dry cuz they've dried.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:32:49 PM by GreenThumb »

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 02:29:39 PM »
I would pick them when they start turning purple, otherwise the squirrels would beat me to them. Then you just need to wait until they get wrinkled to eat for max. sweetness. They fall when ripe, but I would try to get them off earlier to avoid spoilage on the ground, and squirrels getting them.

Jaime

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
I grow some on a small scale selling about 500 kilo per season . We always wait till they fall on the ground and if you keep them till they are really wrinkled I find them sweeter .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
yes, when ripe, they do fall .. so need to pick, but i have to fight the critters for them, so i just pick them before they do... beside, I can't wait..:P

Luc, what varieties do you grow?

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
yes, when ripe, they do fall .. so need to pick, but i have to fight the critters for them, so i just pick them before they do... beside, I can't wait..:P

Luc, what varieties do you grow?

Several local edulis , 2 big ones from Brazil , maliformis , alata , quadrangularis , the purple Hendrick ?? was removed not doing well in this climate , and a few more , no ornamental passionfruit . All the acid ones are bought by bars , restaurants and people who sell ice-cream .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Luc,
Thanks ... I've purple possom, and a seedling of quadrangularis.. I haven't heard of the Purple Hendrick..

Of the ones you have, which one would you recommend that's purple, big fruit, and really sweet?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:16:08 PM »
I grow some on a small scale selling about 500 kilo per season . We always wait till they fall on the ground and if you keep them till they are really wrinkled I find them sweeter .
Yup...if you pick them early and let the"ripen", or wrinkle, they are not much different then a store bought.  You miss a lot of flavor and quality by doing this.
- Rob

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
Luc,
Thanks ... I've purple possom, and a seedling of quadrangularis.. I haven't heard of the Purple Hendrick..

Of the ones you have, which one would you recommend that's purple, big fruit, and really sweet?

The purple is very common , the Hendrick ( maybe I wrote it wrong ) is an improved variety I got from a friend/grower in CA.
I am very happy with one ( yellow ) that I brought back from Brazil the Embrapa GA2 , really big fruit , like a small quadrangularis , this one was crossed with a regular local edulis and the new ' hybrid ' produced a lot more big and heavy ( thats what I want since I sell per kilo ) almost grapefruit size fruits .
This year I had to prune drastically , they were invading my fruit trees , so I do not expect a big crop but I did plant probably close to 100 more seedlings , also improved alata , I hear this one fetches a good price in the US . By growing the alata you are also rewarded with gorgeous red flowers .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
I have a large "Frederick" vine... the fruit is primarily used for beverages and desserts.

Recipe for Passion Fruit Caipirinha:

* 2-3 Passion fruit, juice strained into rocks glass
* 2-3 spoonfulls of sugar
* (mix juice and sugar thoroughly with spoon)
* fill glass half full with crushed ice
* add Cachaca to level of top of ice
* (mix)
* add water to 3/4 full
* (mix & enjoy responsibly)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 11:40:05 PM »
I let the cockatoos pick them for me. They chew the stems off and drop them from the tree. The ones that burst open they fly down and take back to their favourite trees, the others I'll pick up once or twice a week.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
You can let them drop and then they will be ideal.Sample a few at various stages of color change to pick when they are sweet.My panama gold and african yellow (local types actually) have their first fruit on at the moment and my war with the cockatoos is about to begin.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 01:03:36 AM »
Should be picked when fully purple. Passionfruits don't continue to ripen once picked. Also they will contain toxic levels of cyanogenic glycoside if picked green. http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/passionfruit.html#Toxicity
Best is to let them fall to ground as sure sign of ripeness. All passion fruits fall to ground when ripe, except for giant passion (Passiflora quadrangularis) which has to be cut down or will rot on the vine.
Oscar

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »
I have a large "Frederick" vine... the fruit is primarily used for beverages and desserts.

Recipe for Passion Fruit Caipirinha:

* 2-3 Passion fruit, juice strained into rocks glass
* 2-3 spoonfulls of sugar
* (mix juice and sugar thoroughly with spoon)
* fill glass half full with crushed ice
* add Cachaca to level of top of ice
* (mix)
* add water to 3/4 full
* (mix & enjoy responsibly)

Thank you for the correct name , Frederick it is , not Hendrick ....But I was close hahaha
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Luc, I thought you had a new cultivar!

Oscar - thx for info regarding toxicity - some of my rodent friends "pick" the fruit for me when it's still green, but they don't seem to be able to carry it all back home... the fruit turns from green to purple on the ground, but I'm guessing that doesn't solve for the issue you brought up.

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »
Luc,

The purple is very common , the Hendrick ( maybe I wrote it wrong ) is an improved variety I got from a friend/grower in CA.
I am very happy with one ( yellow ) that I brought back from Brazil the Embrapa GA2 , really big fruit , like a small quadrangularis , this one was crossed with a regular local edulis and the new ' hybrid ' produced a lot more big and heavy ( thats what I want since I sell per kilo ) almost grapefruit size fruits .
This year I had to prune drastically , they were invading my fruit trees , so I do not expect a big crop but I did plant probably close to 100 more seedlings , also improved alata , I hear this one fetches a good price in the US . By growing the alata you are also rewarded with gorgeous red flowers .

Luc,
Thank you for the info. Embrapa GA2 sounds great. Has this Hybrid been around for a while? or just recently crossed?
Alata.. I haven't seen one personally, but it does look pretty, some call it the fragrant granadilla...:)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
I will be able to tell you later this year if useing mint to hold off squirels and rats works well. I did it last year and it did not have any taken but I had a very small crop. This year the older plant is covered with fruit and blooms are still setting fruit so I should get a very good test.
I have large pots of mint that I put under the vines so the fruit will drop into them hipefully. I keep the mint potted because it can be very invasive.
My Schnauzers keep the fruit rats under control but the squirels are have learned not to venture very far from a tree.