Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 941492 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2275 on: September 09, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Hey fellow dragonfruit growers! I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this. Have a couple questions!

My plants (where I got them from) were started as tissue cultures. I read that growing from seed can take years to produce, are tissue cultures the same? Or would it be similar to a small cutting?

Also, what size pot do y'all recommend for small plants? (Under 1 foot tall)

A one gallon nursery pot should be fine for a small Dragon Fruit plant under 1 foot tall.

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #2276 on: September 10, 2017, 05:51:46 AM »
Since 2nd June 2017 to yesterday,they are growing so healthy and quickly! this is only a part of my 40+ varieties here in South Italy ;D

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: September 10, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »
How long will it take for a 6" cutting to bear fruit ?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: September 10, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »

Depends. Nor Cal? 2 - 3 years.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: September 10, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »
Depend on how long it takes for you to make it grow big. I think Richard's estimate is if you do everything right.
Just start right now and you'll get fruits sooner. Get at least one self-pollinating plant so you don't have to wait for different varieties to flower at the same time for pollen. It's frustrating for beginning growers when they have the first flower and no others to get pollen from.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: September 10, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

Thanks! I had a Cutting that arrived broken and was only left with a 6"  piece, bigger piece fell out of the packaging during transit thanks to the mail carrier and non ideal packaging...ugh...so I was worried that I might have to wait at least 4-5 yrs.
2-3 yrs gives me hope. Thanks!

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 10, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
Depend on how long it takes for you to make it grow big. I think Richard's estimate is if you do everything right.
Just start right now and you'll get fruits sooner. Get at least one self-pollinating plant so you don't have to wait for different varieties to flower at the same time for pollen. It's frustrating for beginning growers when they have the first flower and no others to get pollen from.

Thanks! I just got it started yesterday so hopefully I'll see new growth next year. And I'm planning on making the trellis only 4 ft high since I'm short so hopefully it'll reach the top and hang over sooner.
Thanks again!

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 11, 2017, 12:55:06 AM »
After some thought I think I like my design for the bottom of the trellis and Tim's for the top. So I modeled it in Sketchup:

There's a free version of Sketchup (see link, above), so anyone can download the model, view it, modify it, etc. It's dimensionally accurate, so you can click on segments and get lengths, etc.

It's a pretty big trellis; the center 4 x 4 post is 6' tall. The upper "clear" distance/radius around the center post is 1' in both directions, and the bottom arms extend 2' from the center post. It could probably be scaled down, but I like to overbuild things. ;D

Minor changes when I actually built it:

and an updated SketchUp file.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 11, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »

I got lucky with a big-box bought plant. It took right around ~18 months to give me my first two fruit.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 11, 2017, 02:16:40 PM »

under the right condition 12 months.  I have 3 plants bloomed and 2 fruited from cuttings I got last year.  all of the cuttings were matured with blooms before rooted them.  I only kept 1 upward stem from my plants.  once they reached the top of my trellis I cut it to promote side growths (like an umbrella).  SoCal weather has been warmer than usual this year.  probably one of the reasons contributed to faster growth.

1) bruni 12" cutting in 5gal container - 11 months (1 flower and fruit is set)
2) unknown white 12" cutting in 10gal container - 13 months (1 flower bloomed last week, not sure if it will set.  most likely does cuz it seems like a self pollinate variety)
3) S8 hybrid 8" cutting in 5gal container - 12 months ( 3 flowers and all set)

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 11, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »

under the right condition 12 months.  I have 3 plants bloomed and 2 fruited from cuttings I got last year.  all of the cuttings were matured with blooms before rooted them.  I only kept 1 upward stem from my plants.  once they reached the top of my trellis I cut it to promote side growths (like an umbrella).  SoCal weather has been warmer than usual this year.  probably one of the reasons contributed to faster growth.

1) bruni 12" cutting in 5gal container - 11 months (1 flower and fruit is set)
2) unknown white 12" cutting in 10gal container - 13 months (1 flower bloomed last week, not sure if it will set.  most likely does cuz it seems like a self pollinate variety)
3) S8 hybrid 8" cutting in 5gal container - 12 months ( 3 flowers and all set)

Thanks!
The 6" cutting I have, I don't belive is a mature cutting. I think it's this year's growth. It's on the thin side and not filled up and plump like older cuttings. I was concerned that the 6" cutting wouldn't make it. It broke into 2 pieces during transit and the mail carrier lost then other half which I belive could've been the bigger of the 2 pieces.
I also acquired an mature S8 cutting that has bloomed the previous year so I'm hoping if everything goes as planned, I might see it bloom within 12 months like yours.
Can I ask where did you acquire mature Bruni Cutting?

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 12, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »
Hi guys,

Hi have a couple of doubts about DF varieties I hope you can help me out with:

Anybody has tasted or grown Pepino Dulce? There is little info in internet. Being white, is as good as the top tier purple flesh ones?

I have preselected 4 purple flesh varieties to plant: Condor, Cosmic charlie, Halley's Comet and S8 Sugar Dragon. Would you replace some of the list for other variety/s? I rate first taste, then autofertile/autopollination and then to extend the harvest AMAP (I already have yellow megalanthus).

Thanks,

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #2287 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:41 AM »
I grow pepino dulce, but not yet fruited. Is considered good, but you mentioned the best

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:36 PM »
Hi guys,
Anybody has tasted or grown Pepino Dulce? There is little info in internet. Being white, is as good as the top tier purple flesh ones?
I have preselected 4 purple flesh varieties to plant: Condor, Cosmic charlie, Halley's Comet and S8 Sugar Dragon.
Would you replace some of the list for other variety/s? I rate first taste, then autofertile/autopollination and then to extend the harvest AMAP (I already have yellow megalanthus).
Thanks,

Taste is subjective. I doubt that many (anybody) would rate Pepino Dulce's taste as good as top tier purple flesh varieties.

I would substitute Physical Graffiti for one of your preselected varieties. Physical Graffiti is in the same taste range and is a high yield flower/fruit producer.

I do not consider S-8 (Sugar Dragon) a purple-flesh variety. It is more of a red-flesh variety.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 12, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »

Hi Everyone, I was looking for some advice.  I have a few dragonfruit in various stages of ripeness.  I also have a few friends who are coming into town next Sunday (9/17) who i have promised said dragonfruit to.  I would like the fruit to be as good as possible and was wondering if it would be better to pick the fruit that is dead ripe now and store in the fridge, or if it would be better to leave the ripe fruit on the vine until next Sunday even though it is perfectly ripe now.  I have previously left dragonfruit in the fridge for a little over a week and it seemed good, just wondering if anyone knows if it is better to leave on the vine.  Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I will not call it dead ripe. Normally I leave the fruit on the vine as long as I can. Watch for rodents and splits though.
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 12, 2017, 10:19:34 PM »
I hope this question doesn't sound silly. But how do you tell if the flower you pollinated set or not? Thanks!

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »
I hope this question doesn't sound silly. But how do you tell if the flower you pollinated set or not? Thanks!

The way I can tell is in a couple days the main part of the flower connected to the stem does not turn yellow.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 12, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »

The way I can tell is in a couple days the main part of the flower connected to the stem does not turn yellow.

Thanks Ric !!

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 12, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »

Hi Everyone, I was looking for some advice.  I have a few dragonfruit in various stages of ripeness.  I also have a few friends who are coming into town next Sunday (9/17) who i have promised said dragonfruit to.  I would like the fruit to be as good as possible and was wondering if it would be better to pick the fruit that is dead ripe now and store in the fridge, or if it would be better to leave the ripe fruit on the vine until next Sunday even though it is perfectly ripe now.  I have previously left dragonfruit in the fridge for a little over a week and it seemed good, just wondering if anyone knows if it is better to leave on the vine.  Thanks for any help and suggestions.

I will not call it dead ripe. Normally I leave the fruit on the vine as long as I can. Watch for rodents and splits though.

Thanks for the reply, i started seeing some splits on a few of my Physical Graffiti.  Seems to be limited just to them though.  I have never left them on the vine past the point that they are totally bright pink, is there any way they will become washed out or lose flavor if left on too long?

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 12, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »
I'm thinking about experimenting with growing DF from seeds. How long can the seeds stay viable for if kept refrigerated and when's the best time to sow?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: September 13, 2017, 12:42:39 AM »
I'm thinking about experimenting with growing DF from seeds. How long can the seeds stay viable for if kept refrigerated and when's the best time to sow?

??? Why do the seeds have to be refrigerated?

I would just clean them good, dry them, and store them in a small zip-loc bag.

SandyL

• Nor Cal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51:40 AM »

??? Why do the seeds have to be refrigerated?

I would just clean them good, dry them, and store them in a small zip-loc bag.

My friend has some seeds but he said he had them in the fridge since April. I'm wondering if it's still any good.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 13, 2017, 05:26:38 AM »
Hi guys,
I have preselected 4 purple flesh varieties to plant: Condor, Cosmic charlie, Halley's Comet and S8 Sugar Dragon.
Would you replace some of the list for other variety/s? I rate first taste, then autofertile/autopollination and then to extend the harvest AMAP (I already have yellow megalanthus).
Thanks,

Taste is subjective. I doubt that many (anybody) would rate Pepino Dulce's taste as good as top tier purple flesh varieties.

I would substitute Physical Graffiti for one of your preselected varieties. Physical Graffiti is in the same taste range and is a high yield flower/fruit producer.

I do not consider S-8 (Sugar Dragon) a purple-flesh variety. It is more of a red-flesh variety.

Thank you both for the help.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 13, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
Post hurricane recovery for dragon fruit.
Need some help and info.
Some branches snapped right off and I assume a clean cut believe the break is in order.
Some bent, broke but did not break off.
What should I do about those?
A couple have flours and I want to save them if possible.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 13, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »
Post hurricane recovery for dragon fruit.
Need some help and info.
Some branches snapped right off and I assume a clean cut believe the break is in order.
Some bent, broke but did not break off.
What should I do about those?
A couple have flours and I want to save them if possible.

dont worry about the bend and break.  you could prune back after fruit season.  meanwhile let them be and they will be fine.