Author Topic: Lucky Day  (Read 3170 times)

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Lucky Day
« on: July 19, 2019, 01:03:48 PM »
I was lucky today. As I was driving to visit my brother I remembered growing up in that neighborhood and that 2 or 3 of the homes on his street had trifloliata growing in there yard. I decided I would turn 2 blocks down from his house to take a look. A lot of the homes have been abandon and a lot of them are being rebuilt. Wala there it was.  Do they root easily?

cuttings in the back of the car.

My name is Cindy

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky Day
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
This year's growth trunk suckers from a low position might be the easiest to root. The growth should be mature enough so it doesn't desiccate. Rooting hormone is helpful. The base of the cutting has the greatest rooting potential. Old mature growth from high positions will be much less likely to root. If cuttings wilt, the likelihood of rooting is diminished.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
   Trifoliata poncirus is extremely easy to grow. It sprouting stage is so vigorous then slow down after a couple of months. The pace of growth also varies between seedlings from different seeds. One seed might grow up to 4 seedlings, but only one is vigorous. I threw a bunch of seeds from diffrent poncirus fruits into a garden bed, and there was one that was extremely vigorous that grew out doubled the size of other seedlings in the same bed.

Poncirus had a very deep tap root just as other citrus trees. Many claimed that pocirus does not have tap root, but it does. I've dug up the most vigorous seedling and put it in a 1ft deep pot to observe the root in later months. I dug it up a few weeks ago and noticed that the roots grew out of the container through the drain hole at the bottom. I took the roots carefully out of the container to observe further. I found that the tap root was not in straight form like other citrus tap roots but curled up; however, the tap root went very deep into the soil, at least 1 ft deep as a young seedling. The mentioned seedling was almost 1 ft tall at the dug up time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:02:19 PM by lavender87 »

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
I removed the seed from the green fruit, will it sprout? They look like mature seed. I will plant some and see. There must have 20 or more seed per fruit and the fruit is small. I read that they must be in full sun to bear fruit. This tree is in full shade. I will go back when the fruit is ripe and pick some of the fruit.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:48:19 PM by will2358 »
My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
It definitely does not have to be in full sun to bear. Most poncirus grows as an understory tree in the wild. Most of the poncirus I harvest are in filtered sunlight at best. They are extremely prolific. They will grow and beR fruit in full sun but it is not a must. Its a very hardy and adaptable plant. Hard to kill even.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »
This tree has to be at-least 50 years of age. As I said I remember it as a child and I am 61 years of age. I managed to cut the large limb into smaller cuttings and I managed to avoid most of the Jurassic thorns.

My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »
You will have better luck starting cuttings if you take the wood from younger growth. Good start is to take water sprouts and do cuttings with them. They are usually very vigorous and they root easier than old growth. Use a good rooting hormone, water well and keep them in the shade to start.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
That's an old tree, how tall is it ?

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
That's an old tree, how tall is it ?
I would say more than 10ft. As you can see by the pic it is as tall as the house.

My name is Cindy

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »
I was asked the height of the tree and the diameter of the trunk.The tree is as tall as the house well over 10ft. the trunk is actually several trunks together. My sister and I went today and we both dug up seedlings.

My sister's seedlings

My seedlings

My name is Cindy

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »
Will2358, the trifoliate  seedlings that you dug up, do they have an attached root system?  Poncirus is not impossible to root, but it certainly difficult.  Know that about 50 percent of Poncirus seed comes true.   Wishing you luck in your endeavor.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
Yes they do have the roots and some still have the seed pod attached. I did not know I had collected so many. There are 60 seedlings in the cup.
I planted up 24 seedlings

I have 36 still in the cup.

My name is Cindy

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
Plant them all. One can never have enough rootstock. You will find lots of things that you want to graft to it. I grow several hundred rootstock each year and I usually have none when I get a bunch of budwood...I am a freak collector..
.I have a problem.

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
Plant them all. One can never have enough rootstock. You will find lots of things that you want to graft to it. I grow several hundred rootstock each year and I usually have none when I get a bunch of budwood...I am a freak collector..
.I have a problem.
I think we all have a plant addiction.  ;D I just finish potting them all up.
My name is Cindy

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
I love eat the weeds. Here is page on the hardy orange.
http://www.eattheweeds.com/hardy-orange/
My name is Cindy

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 02:00:37 AM »
Will2358, the trifoliate  seedlings that you dug up, do they have an attached root system?  Poncirus is not impossible to root, but it certainly difficult.  Know that about 50 percent of Poncirus seed comes true.   Wishing you luck in your endeavor.
Millet when you say 50%, what else is possible form a trifoliata that has no other citrus around? Can it get worse than trfoliata?  :(
My name is Cindy

will2358

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Surprise to me! The seed from the green trifoliata sprouted. As you can see the cuttings did not make it.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:36:50 PM by will2358 »
My name is Cindy