Poll

Which is the better (tastier) mango?

Mallika
17 (56.7%)
Nam Doc Mai
13 (43.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Nam Doc Mai or Mallika  (Read 14100 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Nam Doc Mai or Mallika
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:44:44 PM »
I think I might have room for one more mango tree. ;)  I've already planted Angie, Pickering, Maha Chanok, Neelam, and Beverly.  I'm debating between Mallika and Nam Doc Mai for the last mango tree.  Mid-season crop and small tree are the requirements, and, of course, GREAT (WORLD-CLASS) FLAVOR! ;D 
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Nam Doc Mai or Mallika
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:01 PM »
I voted for Mallika.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
I ignored your criteria and voted for the one I like better.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
I have both trees (the NDM on dwarfing rootstock, have not tasted the fruit off it yet to see if rootstock has any effect on taste) but I favor the Mallika in terms of taste.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
I ignored your criteria and voted for the one I like better.

??? You mean you didn't vote for the one that you think tastes better?
John

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »
John I would go for Mallika if you want a small tree.  One thing to keep in mind: You have to pick the Mallikas green since it is an indian type mango.  If you don't have time to do that, then try the Nam Doc Mai with the dwarfing rootstock how was mentioned.
Adiel

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:04 AM »
John I would go for Mallika if you want a small tree.  One thing to keep in mind: You have to pick the Mallikas green since it is an indian type mango.  If you don't have time to do that, then try the Nam Doc Mai with the dwarfing rootstock how was mentioned.

In my experience, Mallika is not a small tree; its actually a fairly vigorous grower. I would even say more than the NDM #4, dwarfing or regular rootstock. For some reason it has been promoted as a 'semi-dwarf' when it is nothing of the sort. Mallika could probably benefit more from being grafted to dwarfing stock than NDM.

I voted for Mallika because I think it just tastes better. So like sheehan I ignored the OP's requirements.  :P Sorry.

On the ripening issue, there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on this, but the Mallika fruit that I've had tree ripened has been good. I know the practice in India is to pick it mature green; they also let it ripen in camel dung, which I suspect most people here neither have or want.  :D

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
I've never had Mallika...I've heard the word "carrot" taste in some of the descriptions. Is it true? I personally wouldn't think I would like a Mango with that flavor in it...but I can't be sure of course till I actually taste one.

Then again, isn't NDM very prone to splitting?

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »
I've never had Mallika...I've heard the word "carrot" taste in some of the descriptions. Is it true? I personally wouldn't think I would like a Mango with that flavor in it...but I can't be sure of course till I actually taste one.

Then again, isn't NDM very prone to splitting?

I don't detect any "carrot" in Mallika's flavor at all...."honey" is the dominant flavor note but it does have more subtle undertones. NDM tastes like honey too, but to me that's about all it tastes like. Others see more in it though.

And yes, NDM #4 is definitely prone to splitting. And while they typically remain very disease resistant on the tree , it also has a tendency to get post-harvest anthracnose.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
I voted for Mallika, but actually recommend you rethink adding another mid season mango and instead consider something thats very early to extend your mango season.  You have late season covered well with the Neelam maybe consider adding a Rosigold to start your season off in April. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:43:58 PM »
I voted for Mallika, but actually recommend you rethink adding another mid season mango and instead consider something thats very early to extend your mango season.  You have late season covered well with the Neelam maybe consider adding a Rosigold to start your season off in April.
While having mangoes early is nice but I do not have much good to say about Rosigold other than it is probably the earliest mango.  There is nothing exceptional about its flavor....just my 2 pennies.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
I wouldn't vote since I haven't tasted mallika, but I've tasted NDM. It does taste like honey. Mangoey honey to be more specific.  :) I liked it.  They usually split in high nitrogen soils such as muck and if it experiences dry weather then all of the sudden wet weather, it can split. But if you have sandy soil and keep the soil moisture at a constant level, it should keep the splitting issue at bay. I'm watering mine every two to three days during the dry season. I also used pine bark mulch. It's mostly pine nuggets but it contains small fine pieces also. My ndm #4 is currently going through a nice growth spurt and has the "elephants foot" so I think it's not a dwarf root stock.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:43:12 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
In my opinion, Malika is excellent and Nam Doc Mai is also excellent!
In my taste scale,  both of them are a good five (5) on a one to five scale.
If I had a small space to plant and had to choose only one, I would choose Malika.  My malika tree is kept fairly small tree and my  Nam Doc Mai is a medium size tree despite the heavy prunning every year.
I guess I have an old regular Nam Doc Mai.  My tree is approximately, fifteen (15) years old.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
FYI... the book called "Mangos:  A guide to mangos in Florida" says about Mallika... "irregular producer in Florida, but good eating quality; aroma is one of the strongest and most pleasant."  The irregular producer part got my attention.

Book is out of print, but you can find it at the Palm Beach County Library.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »
FYI... the book called "Mangos:  A guide to mangos in Florida" says about Mallika... "irregular producer in Florida, but good eating quality; aroma is one of the strongest and most pleasant."  The irregular producer part got my attention.

That is Fairchild's mango book.  If anybody has one they'd like to get rid of I am a taker.  From what I have seen, they "irregular" is based on the fact that some trees produce well and some don't produce at all (as opposed to the trees themselves being a shy or poor producer).
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »

That is Fairchild's mango book.  If anybody has one they'd like to get rid of I am a taker.  From what I have seen, they "irregular" is based on the fact that some trees produce well and some don't produce at all (as opposed to the trees themselves being a shy or poor producer).

Rob:  you can get them on Amazon.com...but they run $69 or so because they are out of print.  I would check it out at the library before buying it.  I borrowed mine from the library and have no intention of buying my own copy.  The book is copyright 1992, so it is missing many of the newer mangos.  For instance, PPK and Pickering are not included in the book. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Rob:  you can get them on Amazon.com...but they run $69 or so because they are out of print.  I would check it out at the library before buying it.  I borrowed mine from the library and have no intention of buying my own copy.  The book is copyright 1992, so it is missing many of the newer mangos.  For instance, PPK and Pickering are not included in the book.
Yes, I know...I actually have a copy in front of me but its not mine.   
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
Rob, Echo still has Guide to Mangos in Florida, by Campbell, listed for original price $29, instead of jacked up out of print price of $70+. I'd like to get a copy of it from them myself, but unfortunately they don't seem to sell online:
http://www.echonet.org/content/fruitInformation/601
Oscar

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
I got my used, in new condition copy on ebay a few years ago for 10.00, so I would check Ebay every so often.   

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
I got my used, in new condition copy on ebay a few years ago for 10.00, so I would check Ebay every so often.
I have been checking there, that was first thought.
- Rob

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »
While having mangoes early is nice but I do not have much good to say about Rosigold other than it is probably the earliest mango.  There is nothing exceptional about its flavor....just my 2 pennies.

During June or July your right Rosigold would be just a decent mango, nothing to write home about...But in April, its an excellent mango thats far better then anything else available. I had my first one of the season yesterday and it was outstanding. It certainly gets bonus points for fruiting in April when its the only mango.   

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
...From what I have seen, they "irregular" is based on the fact that some trees produce well and some don't produce at all (as opposed to the trees themselves being a shy or poor producer).

Rob, very interesting observation!  I have a young Mallika tree in the ground now for maybe 1.5 years.  It did not flower this year.  Hopefully it will flower next year.   ;D
Adiel

natsgarden123

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
...From what I have seen, they "irregular" is based on the fact that some trees produce well and some don't produce at all (as opposed to the trees themselves being a shy or poor producer).

Rob, very interesting observation!  I have a young Mallika tree in the ground now for maybe 1.5 years.  It did not flower this year.  Hopefully it will flower next year.   ;D

Interesting-my very young little mallika flowered like crazy this year ( I cut them all off).

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »

You can get it on eBay right now at the buy it now price of $70

SWRancher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »

You can get it on eBay right now at the buy it now price of $70

For that price I might just put my copy up for sale on ebay.