Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183165 times)

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
jtnguyen333,

I got it from Atkins Nursery in Falbrook.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:42 PM »
Hi Alan,

How often do you do foliar feed on your GEM?  Do you feed it when the flowers are blooming?

-James

jtnguyen333,

I got it from Atkins Nursery in Falbrook.

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 07, 2019, 04:29:35 PM »
Hi Alan,

How often do you do foliar feed on your GEM?  Do you feed it when the flowers are blooming?

-James

I do it maybe 2-4 times a month on all my young/small trees and yes I have done it during flower bloom.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »
Ardith, about 6' tall now and branching, was grafted to a shoot late last year.  Huge volunteer dill plant is in the pot, 5' long and drooped on the ground from the weight.

The way things grow in this house I bet Ardith will finish out this year at 10' and flower next year heavy.

Reed at 12' + is ready for some loppers.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »
Ardith wants to go straight up.  My trees are blooming now.  Heres one of the hawaiian avo trees I grafted last summer.  Its starting to grow good. 

Fujikawa

Mex grande looks like it will grow fast too.  This one was grow from seed and grafted last year.  Its got a kink at the bottom from how the graft grew.  Trying to straighten it out without breaking it.

Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 10, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »
Looking good.   That kink should straighten out over time, not that it's hurting anything.  It's owner is just showing a slight case of OCD.  ;D

Am glad to know Ardith grows straight up as Reed and some citrus is crowding it a bit.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 10, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
Looking good.   That kink should straighten out over time, not that it's hurting anything.  It's owner is just showing a slight case of OCD.  ;D

Am glad to know Ardith grows straight up as Reed and some citrus is crowding it a bit.

Mark, I think you need a Lychee tree in your GH.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:08:55 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 10, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
I bought a GEM on a salt tolerant and possibly on a clonal rootstock. It was tiny for my taste but was the last one left at sub tropica. I transplanted it in a 15 gallon after bringing it home. It is full of flowers. Is it a good idea to pinch off the flowers now, or wait till it forms fruits and pinch off the fruits?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 10, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
That GEM tree looks too small for a 15gallon pot.  Is it in a regular 15g pot with potting soil?  Its likely to get root rot as the bottom of a pot that large isnt going to dry up enough with something that small in it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:58:54 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 10, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
It was in a tall 5 gallon nursery plastic bag and about 5" shorter than a tall 15 gallon pot side by side. It developed big roots and almost filled the bag with roots to my surprise. I was able to put a few inches (~4) of potting soil at the bottom pot because of the root size.

alangr088

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 10, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »
I bought a GEM on a salt tolerant and possibly on a clonal rootstock. It was tiny for my taste but was the last one left at sub tropica. I transplanted it in a 15 gallon after bringing it home. It is full of flowers. Is it a good idea to pinch off the flowers now, or wait till it forms fruits and pinch off the fruits?

Why not just put it in the ground?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »

Why not just put it in the ground?

That was my intention, but I need to cut down a Bougainvillea first to free up some space.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »
I don't think it was the last one.  I pick one up from Eli yesterday too  ;D

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2019, 04:07:03 PM »

Did you get it on a salt tolerant, root rot resistant rootstock? Cashier said they might get a few left overs from farmers market in 2-3 hours but I didn't wait. Your's look even smaller than mine  ;)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
It is on a clonal Dusa root stock.   He said it is better than a seedling root stock.  He used Zutano as seedling.

Did you get it on a salt tolerant, root rot resistant rootstock? Cashier said they might get a few left overs from farmers market in 2-3 hours but I didn't wait. Your's look even smaller than mine  ;)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »
It is on a clonal Dusa root stock.   He said it is better than a seedling root stock.  He used Zutano as seedling.

Yeah, we don't have to worry about root rot in the future. Also clonal varieties are vigorous grower than regular ones.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2019, 02:36:23 AM »
eli has a neat collection. Did any of you also pick up rio hass? Am I the only one who bought one?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2019, 03:02:19 AM »
eli has a neat collection. Did any of you also pick up rio hass? Am I the only one who bought one?
I am out of space in my backyard and couldn’t get anything other than a Gem.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 13, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
Going against the grain of those in the know who have low expectations on Avo seedlings, and against my better judgement I planted a Lula seedling I grew from seed off a friend's tree. Hers was 25+ years old, had ZERO care... no water, fertilizer, trimming, or pest control and despite that the tree was extremely precocious. The last I saw it the tree was in very sorry shape weeping copious amounts of sap and white flaky crusty "stuff" , I expect it's gone by now.

If my tree bears fruit anywhere near as good as hers and is amenable to regular care, I'll be very happy.

Things look good though, I had it in my "murder, death, kill" cement pot that killed every single tree I put in it and lived in it for around three years happy as a clam. It's been in the ground a week and not one bud died after snatching it out of the pot and it's ALREADY taken off like a rocket.

Regards,

Gary

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 13, 2019, 05:03:24 PM »
Does anyone have a mature Holiday tree?  Can you post a photo of it?  Both of my trees are all droopy and top of the tree is exposed bark because of the weepy growth.  Seem like a junk tree to be honest.  I'm thinking of removing them.  Anyone think thats crazy?
Brad Spaugh

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
My Brogdon is recently planted and has not grown any yet. It stopped dropping leaves a few weeks back and looks decent. Now its leaves have developed light spots all over.

Can someone help me diagnose? Thinking it could be something to do with watering, too much sun exposure, or anthracnose.

Thanks much.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2019, 08:33:28 AM »
Going against the grain of those in the know who have low expectations on Avo seedlings, and against my better judgement I planted a Lula seedling I grew from seed off a friend's tree. Hers was 25+ years old, had ZERO care... no water, fertilizer, trimming, or pest control and despite that the tree was extremely precocious. The last I saw it the tree was in very sorry shape weeping copious amounts of sap and white flaky crusty "stuff" , I expect it's gone by now.

If my tree bears fruit anywhere near as good as hers and is amenable to regular care, I'll be very happy.

Things look good though, I had it in my "murder, death, kill" cement pot that killed every single tree I put in it and lived in it for around three years happy as a clam. It's been in the ground a week and not one bud died after snatching it out of the pot and it's ALREADY taken off like a rocket.

Lula is the rootstock of choice and a commercial fruit for the Rio Grande valley....... or it used to be until the decline of the avocado/citrus industry to real estate developers.

Sounds like yours is on steroids!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:04 AM »
My Brogdon is recently planted and has not grown any yet. It stopped dropping leaves a few weeks back and looks decent. Now its leaves have developed light spots all over.

Can someone help me diagnose? Thinking it could be something to do with watering, too much sun exposure, or anthracnose.

Thanks much.

Insect damage, fungi, nutritional issues?  Need more info.

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 14, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
I don’t know how to tell if it is fungus or insect damage. I do not believe it to be insect damage as I have not seen many bugs besides spiders. The tree gets full sun. I transplanted them into 7’ diameter raised planters 1.5 months back. I used native sandy soil and mixed in a bag of compost into the top couple inches. Have not seen any growth since planting besides originally red leaves turning green and slightly larger. Mulch is about 2 inches thick at the moment. Soil drains well.  Appreciate the help mark.

I have used no fertilizer or treatments thus far other than a very diluted spray of neem a month back.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 14, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »
Does anyone have a mature Holiday tree?  Can you post a photo of it?  Both of my trees are all droopy and top of the tree is exposed bark because of the weepy growth.  Seem like a junk tree to be honest.  I'm thinking of removing them.  Anyone think thats crazy?
My trees are far from mature, but of five not ideally situated 2yr trees, the Holiday looks the worst of the bunch.  It's also the worst sun-burned on its topside due to the droopy, low foliage situation.