Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 185955 times)

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #775 on: April 19, 2020, 11:16:24 PM »
Does anyone know what variety this might be? My daughter brought a few home from a friend.  All they know it is a large tree at their back yard that bear plenty of fruits every year.   The skin is thin and easily to peel off.  It is quite buttery. It is twice as big than the Haas that we bought from supermarket.  I am thinking of asking for few scions for grafting on the Carmen or Reed once they got older.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 20, 2020, 12:23:55 AM »
Fuerte. Those late hangers are some of the best of the crop.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 20, 2020, 12:53:07 AM »
What !! You got that Ota!! My new favorite Avocado. Not quite as thick and rich as kahu’ulu but just right for me. You got a good scion source to have added all these great Hawaiian avocado’s.
The most kind’s I have heard of someone growing outside of the Islands.

Yeah a nice guy from this forum sent me much of the wood.  He had it inspected and all.  Havent seen him on here much in a while.  If you are out there, thanks.  All the trees are looking nice.

The Ota has one of the best growth patterns of all the avocado trees growing here.  Super erect and strong.  Ill be using an interstock on some new plantings here.  This will make an excellwnt interstock to hang more droopy or weak growers and large types onto. 

We will hopefully get another 50+ trees in the ground this year, Im scrambling to get a new block of avocado trees going.  Heres how they look at the moment.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:55:04 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 20, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »
Ardith is growing normal here.  My tree has a bunch of fruit, I havent picked and tried any yet.  Probably should soon.  We are drowning in avocados...  Reed hasnt flowered here yet either.  My guatemalans are about to bloom but not yet.  All the new hawaiian trees heres are budding up.  Lots of good stuff.

Drowning in avocados?  Wow, fate worst than death.  I can help. ;)

Everything looks great.  You're planning, care, etc. is first rate.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »
Hi,

I've had a Hass mounded for half a year and some of the new growth leaves have been browning and falling off, and some of the limbs are yellowing. Is this root for? Please see the photo.
Thanks

Need more info. Did you amend clay backfill by chance?

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 20, 2020, 09:34:37 AM »
No I built an entirely new mound out of bulk soil from a nursery that they said would be good for avocado trees. I originally planted the tree in a hole and two weeks later I realized my mistake and dug it up and put it in a mound. That was 7 months ago and there has been a lot of new growth since then, but now the new growth is struggling.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 20, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
What !! You got that Ota!! My new favorite Avocado. Not quite as thick and rich as kahu’ulu but just right for me. You got a good scion source to have added all these great Hawaiian avocado’s.
The most kind’s I have heard of someone growing outside of the Islands.

Yeah a nice guy from this forum sent me much of the wood.  He had it inspected and all.  Havent seen him on here much in a while.  If you are out there, thanks.  All the trees are looking nice.

The Ota has one of the best growth patterns of all the avocado trees growing here.  Super erect and strong.  Ill be using an interstock on some new plantings here.  This will make an excellwnt interstock to hang more droopy or weak growers and large types onto. 

We will hopefully get another 50+ trees in the ground this year, Im scrambling to get a new block of avocado trees going.  Heres how they look at the moment.

Nice collection Brad, it just keeps growing and looking really good have any of your Hawaiian avo's fruited yet?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 20, 2020, 11:06:10 AM »
No I built an entirely new mound out of bulk soil from a nursery that they said would be good for avocado trees. I originally planted the tree in a hole and two weeks later I realized my mistake and dug it up and put it in a mound. That was 7 months ago and there has been a lot of new growth since then, but now the new growth is struggling.

Its been winter, just wait now the weather is turning and trees are starting to grow. 

What soil did you get?  Pretty much anything from a store is probably not the greatest.  What you want is decomposed granite soil from the local foothills. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 20, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »
Scott the only one that fruited is sharwil so far which I bought at a local nursery.  The others I grafted a year and half ago and are now flowering.  They really need another year before being allowed to hold fruit.  I dont see why any won't fruit here though, they are all blooming and growing well. 
Brad Spaugh

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »

Its been winter, just wait now the weather is turning and trees are starting to grow. 

What soil did you get?  Pretty much anything from a store is probably not the greatest.  What you want is decomposed granite soil from the local foothills.

I think they said it was 50/50 compost and top soil.

We did get a ton of rain, I'm hoping it has just been a temporary waterlogging and the tree can recover.

Can these trees recover once they have been through a waterlogging?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 20, 2020, 11:27:33 AM »
Compost and top soil is no bueno.  Top soil is usually just silty loam that has no grit or coarseness in it.  And compost breaks down into something similar.  You want something with lots of sand or coarse mineral that wont break down and also drains and breaths easy.

You tree will probably start growing again but next tree you plant get some regular native soil from the hills around here, avocados love it.  You can have some of mine if you need some. 

Maybe even your own soil is not so bad, whats it look like?  Remind me what part of SD you live?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:29:51 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 20, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
Ugh. Okay thanks for the info. I live in Encinitas.
My soil gets wet and thick. I planted a Hass a couple of years ago and lost him to root rot. So I remember what the end looks like but wasn't paying close enough attention to recognize early signs, which is why I'm asking now.

I don't have a ton of space. I planted some pits and put on a few grafts (thanks for the scions) but I'm a beginner grafter so we'll see.
 Should I add some native hill soil or sand to my current tree's environment? Or cut my lossess, pull it, add soil/sand, and replant? My avocado sensibilities have hardened a bit and I've grown accustomed to having to rip them out when things go South.
Thanks again.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 20, 2020, 12:23:35 PM »
I would wait and see what it does in the coming months. 

They have really strong trees at clausons for around 20$ if you need a replacement tree down the road. 
Brad Spaugh

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 20, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
Alright I'll do that thanks. By the way can you point me to a spot (landmark) that has the soil you're talking about so I can see the correct texture? I'm not looking to go mining but just seeing what it should be would be helpful.

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 20, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »
Alright I'll do that thanks. By the way can you point me to a spot (landmark) that has the soil you're talking about so I can see the correct texture? I'm not looking to go mining but just seeing what it should be would be helpful.

If you have the time, go on YouTube and look up Gary from Laguna Hills Nursery on topic of Avocado.  He very much reinforced Brad’s points on the soil.

nanewnanew

• San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 20, 2020, 11:53:11 PM »
Sounds good, thanks for the reference, I'll check it out.

hademarqvce

• Columbus Indiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 21, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »
I like avocado, I hope that I can grow a plant from avocado. It's great that there is a forum where I can find all the recommendations and get useful tips.

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 21, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »
I like avocado, I hope that I can grow a plant from avocado. It's great that there is a forum where I can find all the recommendations and get useful tips.

Logee’s has container avocado listed on their website. Maybe they worked for your area as indoor and outdoor by season.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 22, 2020, 07:16:13 PM »
Dang I went to my local nursery for strawberries which they were out of and just stopped by some avocado's that just arrived and left with a Gwen tree. That makes the 5th new avocado tree this spring. I've added a Carmen, D'Arturo, Reed, Gem and Gwen to my collection. My other trees are Pinkerton, Fuerte, Bacon, Mexicola, Stewart and Wurtz.

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 22, 2020, 11:12:35 PM »
Dang I went to my local nursery for strawberries which they were out of and just stopped by some avocado's that just arrived and left with a Gwen tree. That makes the 5th new avocado tree this spring. I've added a Carmen, D'Arturo, Reed, Gem and Gwen to my collection. My other trees are Pinkerton, Fuerte, Bacon, Mexicola, Stewart and Wurtz.
Nice! I wish I can do the same but I have too small of a back yard.

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 22, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
only 3/11 are in the ground the other 8 are in containers and raised beds

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 23, 2020, 12:32:21 AM »
Where'd you find the Reed.  I've been searching around for one for a few years.  I'm growing in containers as well.  I have five in container and three older ones in the ground.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 23, 2020, 01:40:00 AM »
Hey Naysen,
I have around 30 avocado seeds started and will be grafting several to Reed if I can get scions. I'll keep you in mind In case I have spares. I've seen a Reed at green acres before but haven't made it out your way in a while...
Where'd you find the Reed.  I've been searching around for one for a few years.  I'm growing in containers as well.  I have five in container and three older ones in the ground.
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »
Thanks Kris.  I remember you mentioning that Green Acres had some in your areas from a year or two back (four winds growers was the source I believe).  I've stopped into that nursery and checked many times since but have yet to get lucky.  I sometimes ask if they can special order, but it never works out.  I have a single seed I started here as well, which I may try my hand at grafting on again.

Pnguyen

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 23, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
I bought the Reed at Laguna Hills Nursery in Santa Ana this late March.  At my last week, they are out of Reed.  Carmen and Reed went very fast relatively to other varieties.  Unfortunately, the Reed that I have is about a foot tall and too young for scion.  How are the containers work out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk