Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 76076 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Here's the latest update. There are seven slips coming from the stalk. I can see more of the flower petals sticking out of the bracts and slowly moving up the pineapple. I'm also starting to see a bit of green which makes me think that the fruit is starting to form now.

Simon

they are doing great can't wait to see how they turn out
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2017, 06:05:56 PM »
That looks great Simon. Do you still have it in a 3 gal pot? I find that I don't get much suckers or slips in my pineapples. I wonder if I should've used larger pots. The fruits are fine though.

I just got some of those calcium carbide pebbles to force my white jades. Winter fruits may not be as good but I've waited so long already.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 12, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »
I'm terrible with pot sizes and these are special MicroKote treated pots from the manufacturer. I believe they are either in 5 or 7 gallon pots. Only a few of my White Jades have produced suckers and they are mostly the damaged plants. The plant where I got the most suckers is from a mother plant that completely died back and threw about 8-12 suckers. It seems like damaging a main plant gets me the most suckers. I accidentally threw too much pelleted fertilizer in the middle of the crown to kill back the mother plant.

My fruiting plant is throwing off tons of slips so I guess fruiting can be another way to get baby plants. I read that even if the plant doesn't produce slips, after you harvest the fruit, there is a good chance the plant will produce suckers or ratoons or whatever you call it.

Jimmy, I can't wait to see how they turn out as well. The slips are growing fast and may overgrow the fruit in time.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2017, 01:42:05 AM »
Haha, I also did the Jim Neitzel thing of using osmocote in the center and it didn't really force it to fruit. The first time I tried it it burned the center and I had to wait for it to grow a new center. Later times it only burned a couple of leaves.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2017, 04:12:51 AM »
Here is possibly the worlds smallest, non tissue cultured, White Jade. I was removing some small White Jade suckers a while back and accidentally knocked off a tiny 1.5 Inch sucker. It didn't really have any roots but I stuck it in a pot anyways. Well, it appears the original sucker is dead or at least almost dead but now I just noticed that the plant produced a tiny baby which must have formed from the roots which eventually developed.

Simon

another way you can do this form of 'micropropagation' and increase your plant numbers is by sectioning the slips into quarters or 3rds. then planting the inner core in the soil, keep moist and new growth should occur in a matter of weeks, which you can later twist off and replant these baby plants.  theoretically its easy to get 3-6 plants from 1 slip. we used this technique at frankies using a paper cutter, you don't have to use one but it was good for making straight and precise cuts.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
I use an encapsulated 12 mo. food in the pots and fertilize the top of the leaves and cup with 1/2 tsp./gal. of Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro as often as I can remember, at least once a week.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2017, 09:21:59 AM »
Pineapple planting material

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
My White Jade pineapple finally opened up its first flower so I guess this is stage 3. The petals are sticking out really far on many of the other flowers and I think they will open very soon.

The other side, flower not opened yet

Top view, pic taken couple days ago

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
your best bet to getting the biggest pineapple growth would be to drill out the center of the crown
so it doesn't grow that big the crown that is and than you can just leave the suckers and slips on to
keep growing i always take the suckers and slips off once there around 12 Inchs or so than repot them
so they can grow

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Jimmy, I decided I'm just going to let this one grow out naturally instead of trying to grow the largest fruit possible in my yard and circumstances. I'll probably try for a large fruit size with my next flowering White Jade.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2017, 12:54:23 AM »
This White Jade plant keeps on surprising me. I was checking out the plant this morning and noticed it had a baby ratoon coming out of the ground next to the much older ratoon and it also has multiple suckers coming out from in between the leaves. All this is on top of the multiple slips coming off the peduncle!

That would have been enough surprising for the day but as I inspected the baby pineapple, I noticed some flecks of green growing from the uppermost portion of the baby pineapple, adjacent to the crown of the baby pineapple. Does anyone know what this is? Is the pineapple adding additional bracts or flowers? I was thinking the pineapple has a set number of flower sections as soon as it emerges?
Side view of flowering White Jade and her larger ratoon

Small ratoon

Suckers

What's this green growth?

Current state of the fruit

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
This White Jade plant keeps on surprising me. I was checking out the plant this morning and noticed it had a baby ratoon coming out of the ground next to the much older ratoon and it also has multiple suckers coming out from in between the leaves. All this is on top of the multiple slips coming off the peduncle!

That would have been enough surprising for the day but as I inspected the baby pineapple, I noticed some flecks of green growing from the uppermost portion of the baby pineapple, adjacent to the crown of the baby pineapple. Does anyone know what this is? Is the pineapple adding additional bracts or flowers? I was thinking the pineapple has a set number of flower sections as soon as it emerges?

Small ratoon

Suckers

Simon

if its growing close to the crown than it could be a slip starting to grow sometimes slips can grow on some pineapple plants
under the crown just keep track of it let us know how it turns out. if you check the photo below you will see that it has
slips growing below the crown

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 02:29:05 PM by Evildeadguy »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the picture Jimmy! After seeing that picture, I bet it's more slips. I just can't believe how many daughter plants this pineapple has.

Simon

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »
planted a bed of white jade pineapples. a few have fruited but this one monster seems to be sucking up all the nutrients. still no fruit from it yet.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2017, 11:58:34 PM »
Beautiful plants apresser! How does the White Jade taste compared to a White Sugarloaf? Are they pretty much the same except for the spines?

In my opinion, the larger the plant, the better. The larger the plant, the larger the fruit. Hopefully it will bloom for you soon. If it doesn't fruit for you soon, you can use calcium carbide to induce blooms.

Simon

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »
Beautiful plants apresser! How does the White Jade taste compared to a White Sugarloaf? Are they pretty much the same except for the spines?

In my opinion, the larger the plant, the better. The larger the plant, the larger the fruit. Hopefully it will bloom for you soon. If it doesn't fruit for you soon, you can use calcium carbide to induce blooms.

Simon

The Kona Sugarloaf which I think is the same as White Sugarloaf is sweeter than the White Jade. But both are excellent quality.. although neither of them compare to the sweetness of Mele Kalima which was developed by Frankie's Nursery. They have that one patented and I've collected a few seeds from some fruits so (hopefully) will find out in a few years how those seedlings compare to the parent. Have you had a chance to try "Mele Kalima"? 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
Thanks for the info appresser! I have not had a chance to try the Meli Kalima yet. Too bad it is patented. If you ever find extra Meli Kalima seeds that you would like to sell, please let me know because I would be very interested in getting my hands on its genetics even if it's from seeds.

I am growing White Sugarloaf and White Jade but I've only tasted White Sugarloaf and it is the best tasting pineapple Ive ever tried. I hope the White Jade will taste similar.

Simon

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
will definitely keep you in mind, the pineapples run about $15-20/each and I think they somehow keep them from getting pollinated because there are very few seeds. But if one day I ever hit the motherload and get a bunch of seeds ill send some to you for sure! Otherwise we just have to wait until the few seeds I've collected eventually fruit.... its gonna be a while.

Thanks for the info appresser! I have not had a chance to try the Meli Kalima yet. Too bad it is patented. If you ever find extra Meli Kalima seeds that you would like to sell, please let me know because I would be very interested in getting my hands on its genetics even if it's from seeds.

I am growing White Sugarloaf and White Jade but I've only tasted White Sugarloaf and it is the best tasting pineapple Ive ever tried. I hope the White Jade will taste similar.

Simon

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2017, 02:35:49 PM »
will definitely keep you in mind, the pineapples run about $15-20/each and I think they somehow keep them from getting pollinated because there are very few seeds. But if one day I ever hit the motherload and get a bunch of seeds ill send some to you for sure! Otherwise we just have to wait until the few seeds I've collected eventually fruit.... its gonna be a while.

Simon
Do the Meli Kalima not come with a crown when purchased?  I thought you could propagate a patented variety and maybe even give them away as long as you didn't sell it?  I bought 10 patented thornless blackberry plants a few years ago and now their like a weed all over the place.  I give the cuttings to whoever wants them.  Maybe I'm not suppose to? 

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »
It comes with the crown removed and a special tag on it that says "vegetative propagation is prohibited" in addition to a patent number. If I had some of the crowns I would definitely grow them for personal use at home since its the best pineapple I've ever tasted by far.

Simon
Do the Meli Kalima not come with a crown when purchased?  I thought you could propagate a patented variety and maybe even give them away as long as you didn't sell it?  I bought 10 patented thornless blackberry plants a few years ago and now their like a weed all over the place.  I give the cuttings to whoever wants them.  Maybe I'm not suppose to?

vanman

• Jenks, OK 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:24 PM »
I wonder if you can tissue culture from near the crown.  I've read that it is not that hard to TC pineapples.  Again, I don't think it's illegal to propagate for your personal use.  Don't tell anybody but I took some scion off of my parents gold nugget mandarin. 

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 26, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
You can not clone it because of the patent. There are hormones you can use to induce roots and shoots, I've used them many times in my previous job. I wouldn't do it to Frankie's patented pineapple however as he must have spent a lot of time and money to develop and patent this variety.

Simon

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 26, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
Yea I agree if they went out of the way to patent it, not going to make any effort to clone it, even for personal use. But who knows, maybe can win the genetic lottery on seeds collected from this plant and end up with something great for the home garden. Otherwise the White Jade is a really high quality pineapple, and although its not as sweet as the Meli Kalima-- its more complex in flavor.

You can not clone it because of the patent. There are hormones you can use to induce roots and shoots, I've used them many times in my previous job. I wouldn't do it to Frankie's patented pineapple however as he must have spent a lot of time and money to develop and patent this variety.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2017, 01:27:42 PM »
So far I've got two ratoons, two suckers, seven slips and seven of those green thingies that I'm still not sure what they are yet. One of the green thingies is fattening up a bit and shape is similar to the flowers but the color is green instead of purple.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:15 PM »

Small ratoon

Suckers

Simon

if its growing close to the crown than it could be a slip starting to grow sometimes slips can grow on some pineapple plants
under the crown just keep track of it let us know how it turns out. if you check the photo below you will see that it has
slips growing below the crown

Jimmy, you were right, the green growth is an under the crown slip. I counted 10 of them so far. I read that too many slips, suckers or ratoons can sometimes be considered detrimental to commercial growers but I don't mind it as I'm trying to increase the number of plants I have.

After all the planting material is harvested from this single plant I will probably remove all but one or two clones on each remaining plant so that more energy can go into the growth of the pineapple and the fewer number of clones.

I'm going to stick with my original intent to let this plant grow undisturbed. Seems like it's going to be super bushy with all the clones.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk