Author Topic: papaya trees  (Read 1097 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
papaya trees
« on: October 11, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
hello to everyone, i have 2 papaya trees i think both were from seeds red lady papayas that i bought from Ebay, anyway somewhere i read that seeds from red lady papayas always produce fruit but the seeds produced by the fruits is a different story, and i want your opinions about this if this is true and in general, is the first year of producing fruits both of the trees, soon i will upload photos of the trees and the fruits they have, Thanks
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:22:02 PM by Petros45 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: papaya trees
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Red lady is an F1 hybrid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid#Disadvantages
The main advantage of F1 hybrids in agriculture is also their drawback. When F1 cultivars are used as parents, their offspring (F2 generation) vary greatly from one another. Some F2s are high in homozygous genes, as found in their grandparents, and these will lack hybrid vigour. From the point of view of a commercial seed producer who does not wish customers to produce their own seed via seed saving, this genetic assortment is a desired characteristic.

If the seeds you bought were truly F1 Red lady the above situation would apply but buying from ebay the seller may have just taken seeds out of a fruit. Also, if the tree you grew were self or cross pollinated from another variety it is a total gamble what the resulting generation might be.
You can buy quality F1 hybrid seed for Red Lady here:
https://www.shop.alohaseed.com/

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: papaya trees
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:12:50 AM »

these are the trees i want your opinions if u know what variety it is and what opinions do you have in general if u have something to suggest me. Thanks for reading
also i uploaded these small papaya and mango plants if u have something to suggest me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk