Author Topic: Favorite Banana Variety?  (Read 21657 times)

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Favorite Banana Variety?
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
Where I live we have 40 different kinds of edible bananas, some exquisite dessert bananas...

my favorites are
Golden Pillow
Silk Fig
FHIA-18

Anyone out there like bananas?

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Banana Variety?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:58 AM »
roboto ----------- This topic was sorta covered here ----------- http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=920.msg12245#msg12245
Dan

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:55 AM »
So far Nam Wah and Blue Java. Here some recent harvest:

Blue Java

Unknown cultivar

Manzano

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:40:17 AM »
Silk Fig is name in Hawaii for what usually gets called elsewhere Manzano. That is also one of my favorites.
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »
Cuban Red
- David Antonio Garcia

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:31:12 AM »
Cuban Red
is that the variety with red/burgundy peel with orange flesh?
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:45:54 AM »
Cuban Red

Mine too for the way the plant and fruit look. Fantastic red to reddish banana and the plant has lot of red in it. I just planted mine a few months ago. My best looking banana plant by far. As far as best tasting, from my limited tasting of varieties, a ripe backyard banana tastes the same as the next one. Then you have plantains. I like them ripe as possible, even beyond ripe. I never deep fry them. I slit them in half and fry in a pan with a bit of oil. They come out so sweet! I am well aware of the traditional "Spanish" ways of cooking them as platanos fritos and tostones. Cooking them green etc. I ate mofongo once at Dominican-American restaurant (and would eat it again) which is fried green plantain, then smashed together, formed into a mound on the plate, then covered with a stew of pork or shrimp or many others. People from the Dominican and Puerto Rican cultures go crazy over this down home peasant dish
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 12:22:51 AM by zands »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
Among the "older" varieties I've had the chance to taste, my favorite is Pisang Raja.  The Going Bananas web site describes it.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
Hi Chris? CoconutChrisHawaii?

Welcome to the forum ;)

I very much enjoy my unknown naner...similar to a Manzano and I also like Prata :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
While my favorite is an orange fleshed/red skinned variety fhough not readily available...my second favorite is Ice Cream.
- Rob

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
Cuban red is a very good looking tree and fruit but for me, the Manzano tops it in flavorful. It is great in batidos as well.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
Cuban red is a very good looking tree and fruit but for me, the Manzano tops it in flavorful. It is great in batidos as well.

el platanito con guagui o harina LOL manzanos are my favorite too

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
I have a red banana planted ( not sure what variety) - but I heard that they are more cold sensitive than the other varieties.  Does anyone have experience with this?

And my favorite is ice cream

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »
there are only two people in this thread wth their listed locations as hawaii,me and oscar and niether on of are coco chris...my real name is josh

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
btw golden pillow has also been called goldfinger...

very similar to silk fig, but richer flavor, even more of a pillow texture, simply divine...small bananas than silk fig unfortunately

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Manzano.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
there are only two people in this thread wth their listed locations as hawaii,me and oscar and niether on of are coco chris...my real name is josh

Hi Josh,

Yikes, I assumed it was you. :-[ I watch alot of vids on YouTube and invite people that are interested in fruits to the forum...Just spreading the word and doing my part to keep the forum running :)

Here's the dude...CocoChrisHawaii, he has a huge collection of nanners 8)

fehi banana harvest
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »
btw golden pillow has also been called goldfinger...

very similar to silk fig, but richer flavor, even more of a pillow texture, simply divine...small bananas than silk fig unfortunately

The Goldfinger I am familiar with is the name now given to the FHIA 1 banana.  It is an excellent banana.....very productive and with extremely stout, strong pseudostems.  Is the Golden Pillow the same thing or do we have multiple Godfingers? Here are some shots of mine.

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
I have very limited experience with varieties, but from what i have tried, nothing has beat the Manzano.

Cuban Red

Mine too for the way the plant and fruit look. Fantastic red to reddish banana and the plant has lot of red in it. I just planted mine a few months ago. My best looking banana plant by far. As far as best tasting, from my limited tasting of varieties, a ripe backyard banana tastes the same as the next one. Then you have plantains. I like them ripe as possible, even beyond ripe. I never deep fry them. I slit them in half and fry in a pan with a bit of oil. They come out so sweet! I am well aware of the traditional "Spanish" ways of cooking them as platanos fritos and tostones. Cooking them green etc. I ate mofongo once (and would eat it again) which is fried green plantain, then smashed together and covered with a stew of pork or shrimp or many others. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans go crazy over this down home peasant dish

I also prefer plantains super ripe,  Platano Frito maduro, is used  just past yellow,  but platano maduro, that is made with brown sugar and cinnamon sticks stuck in them is a delicious treat from heaven. the plaintains for those are usually used when the skin is black already.

http://www.elgranchef.com/sites/www.elgranchef.com/files/imagecache/primera/platanos%20tentacion%20.jpg

mod edit: Removed the hot linked image.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:31:59 PM by murahilin »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
I have very limited experience with varieties, but from what i have tried, nothing has beat the Manzano.

Cuban Red

Mine too for the way the plant and fruit look. Fantastic red to reddish banana and the plant has lot of red in it. I just planted mine a few months ago. My best looking banana plant by far. As far as best tasting, from my limited tasting of varieties, a ripe backyard banana tastes the same as the next one. Then you have plantains. I like them ripe as possible, even beyond ripe. I never deep fry them. I slit them in half and fry in a pan with a bit of oil. They come out so sweet! I am well aware of the traditional "Spanish" ways of cooking them as platanos fritos and tostones. Cooking them green etc. I ate mofongo once (and would eat it again) which is fried green plantain, then smashed together and covered with a stew of pork or shrimp or many others. Dominicans and Puerto Ricans go crazy over this down home peasant dish

I also prefer plantains super ripe,  Platano Frito maduro, is used  just past yellow,  but platano maduro, that is made with brown sugar and cinnamon sticks stuck in them is a delicious treat from heaven. the plaintains for those are usually used when the skin is black already.

http://www.elgranchef.com/sites/www.elgranchef.com/files/imagecache/primera/platanos%20tentacion%20.jpg

mod edit: Removed the hot linked image.

Hi William,
I truly love this...i do the same and kick it up a notch, with star anise...YuMMY ;D Just let the star anise(break them up) slowly infuse the butter and on low heat...ya  know the drill after that ;) I don't know why...I prefer to eat this with white rice :o
Time is like a river.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »
I haven't tried allot of bananas, but Manzano (known also as Silk Fig in Trinidad) is my favorite.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
I want to try African Rhinohorn http://www.going-bananas.com/bananaplantdescriptions.htm#AFRICAN RHINOHORN

I have also been told Praying Hands are pretty good, but never tried them
- David Antonio Garcia

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2012, 10:11:13 PM »

Save yourself some trouble.  Unless you are interested in growing bananas that stick together and have very little edible flesh propotionately to others.....don't waste your time with Praying Hands.  Looks good, but is lousy as far as overall eating quality.  The only one it it better than is Thousand Fingers. And that isn't saying very much.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
Save yourself some trouble.  Unless you are interested in growing bananas that stick together and have very little edible flesh propotionately to others.....don't waste your time with Praying Hands.  Looks good, but is lousy as far as overall eating quality.  The only one it it better than is Thousand Fingers. And that isn't saying very much.

I thought the Praying Hands tasted pretty good. It was like banana pudding/custard inside of a banana. It was one of the only three banana trees I actually chose to grow before I chopped them all down because they are too messy.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »
ice cream blew my mind
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com