Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528750 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #1625 on: July 09, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »
YouRascal, your tree is full of new growth in your pictures.

And next time when you worry that it has been a while since the last flush of new growth, remember that trees alternate between flushes of root growth, and flushes of branch growth---  month or two between branching flushes, except on ridiculously fast growers like VP.
Har

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: July 11, 2020, 06:55:23 AM »
Har I meant to say that this new growth seems to have stalled. its been like you see in the pictures for about a month.

Also what about the large brown spots on the leaves of the honey kiss?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: July 11, 2020, 11:52:32 AM »
y0rascal,

I see two spots of sunburn or oil burn, such as from spraying in hot weather.
Har

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: July 19, 2020, 03:01:55 PM »
Hi All,
Please help with issues affecting new growth on Kesar tree. Tree is 3 year old and was growing fine so far. Starting this year, the new growth leaeves are very thin and curly. Also many shoots come out of one node - sometimes as many a 8-10 - some of them get aborted and then again tree pushes with more shoots but none of the new shoots are in healthy condition. Tree is received enough water and 0-3-16 fertilizer. I will appreicate any help. Thank you.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: July 19, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
Looks like a minor nutrient deficiency maybe more than one and the tree is fighting with grass growing right in the root zone. Have you given it any micronutrients at all?

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: July 19, 2020, 08:42:00 PM »
Looks like a minor nutrient deficiency maybe more than one and the tree is fighting with grass growing right in the root zone. Have you given it any micronutrients at all?
I am giving it fertilizer 0-3-16 (Har's mix) which is supposed to contain all micronutrients. The grass is not next to trunk for 4 foot diameter area. after that grass is there but it is same for other mangoes as well and no such problems on other trees?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: July 19, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »
I am giving it fertilizer 0-3-16 (Har's mix) which is supposed to contain all micronutrients. The grass is not next to trunk for 4 foot diameter area. after that grass is there but it is same for other mangoes as well and no such problems on other trees?

That tree looks a little small/young to be using that fertilizer (the 0-3-16 is for a tree that is more on the mature side).  Hard to tell how big the tree really is, maybe post a full picture.

If I am right about its suze, you might want to use a micro nutrient foliar and a more rounded fertilizer like 8-2-12 or 8-3-9.
- Rob

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: July 20, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »

That tree looks a little small/young to be using that fertilizer (the 0-3-16 is for a tree that is more on the mature side).  Hard to tell how big the tree really is, maybe post a full picture.

If I am right about its suze, you might want to use a micro nutrient foliar and a more rounded fertilizer like 8-2-12 or 8-3-9.

Sorry for missing to state size of the tree. The pictures are just one branch of the tree. The entire tree is about 12 foot tall and about 9-10 foot wide in diameter with 4 wide trunk. So far it was given 8-3-9 (Excalibur) every 2 months in summer. However this year it developed this problem right from spring and so I tried with 0-3-16.

If you think it needs foliar spray then please recommend product name. Thank you.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: July 20, 2020, 09:14:09 AM »
In the spring up till the beginning of June we were in drought conditions so fertilizers had a better chance of causing burns. And also watering is very subjective. There are so many factors that effect how much water gets down to the roots which I won’t get into that also could have effected those leaves. Additionally when I used the Har’s fertilizer I got the same problem you did on many of my trees. Please don’t think I am badmouthing the fertilizer. I just probably misused it by applying too much to those trees at the wrong time without enough rain to stop it from causing burns. So your signs and symptoms of a problem will probably pass if you let Mother Nature get that tree back to neutral by flushing out the fertilizer as it continues to rain during our rainy season. Good luck. I know your frustration with this problem it’s a horrible to experience this big unknown. PS I just remembered that when I had your problem it occurred mostly on smaller trees than yours and I thought that perhaps the fertilizer had too much boron. But that was a wild guess. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/boron-toxicity-symptoms.htm
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:33:59 AM by weiss613 »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: July 20, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
Sanpatel,
It may be an infection of Fusarium fungus which causes Mango Malformation disease;  if you cut it off, you did the right thing.  I hope you sanitized your clippers or saw, before doing any other cuts.

Mango Malformation typically makes a much tighter ball of buds, with no leaves developing;  that is why I am not sure that your tree has it. 

I saw one similar case, with less-narrow leaves, at a commercial mango grove in western Florida.  My fertilizer had never been there.

If Boron is at issue, it is deficiency, not excess.  Excess causes blackish brown marginal burns on leaves.  Deficiency causes tip die-back and buds that don't develop properly.  So this actually could be the problem.  The fertilizer manufacturer did change my customer-request-formulation, reducing all the micro-nutrients, including Boron.

Another possibility is volatilization of an herbicide being applied up-wind, even on another property, or weed-and-feed application anywhere within five times the radius of the mango's canopy.
Har

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: July 20, 2020, 05:32:25 PM »
I had a similiar problem last year and it was suggested it may need Zinc.
I sprayed with Southern Ag 2 weeks apart the suggested dosage for trees
that are deficient. This month the tree is flushing and looks much better

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southern-Ag-1-pint-Citrus-Plant-Nutritional-Spray-100048939/100599817?mtc=&cm_mmc=---&msclkid=e129d324a4791aa4662d8c32a8b4bcff&gclid=CNe4wK3j3OoCFRbfDQodXS4G5A&gclsrc=ds

I also have/use miracle grow and the Southern Ag has more Zinc

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 20, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Latest flush was very chlorotic, although it has greened up a little

However, seeing yellowing in the previous flush, and older, throughout the leaves but more towards the tips

Had applied a thin (1") mulch a few months ago, mostly fine wood chips screened from bagged "bark" for other potting purposes, so I'm thinking I messed up the nutrient balance but I'm not familiar enough with mangos to guess at what might be wrong.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 20, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »
mbmango,

Bacteria beginning to digest mulch, can consume any nitrogen available in the upper topsoil.  Give the tree some complete fertilizer, with 6-10 percent Nitrogen--- preferably mostly nitrate.
Har

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 20, 2020, 11:28:41 PM »
Thanks Har!  Very much appreciated!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 21, 2020, 03:16:13 PM »
My mallika just set fruit to 6 mangoes(about 2 inches long now). I have a question. Should I thin them or will all 6 grow to be medium sized mangoes. I would like good sized mangoes, not 6 tiny ones. So is it wise to thin or just leave them alone. Thanks

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: July 21, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
All on one pannicle?  What size tree?
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 21, 2020, 11:12:15 PM »
My mallika just set fruit to 6 mangoes(about 2 inches long now). I have a question. Should I thin them or will all 6 grow to be medium sized mangoes. I would like good sized mangoes, not 6 tiny ones. So is it wise to thin or just leave them alone. Thanks

In addition to the question abive, how big/old is the tree and what size pot is it in?
- Rob

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 22, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »

In addition to the question abive, how big/old is the tree and what size pot is it in?
Over 3 panicles. Tree went inground this spring as I am getting a big enough greenhouse for it. Tree is a little less than 6 feet and about 4 years old from nursery.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: July 22, 2020, 11:03:18 AM »
Your tree should be able to handle those six Mallika fruits.
Har

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 22, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 22, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
just want to say thanks to Guanabanus for my neighbor. He was talking about Dwarf Hawaiian,  how he wanted one and I never asked him why. Why bother. I told him to go to Truly Tropical in Delray for a grafted Dwarf Hawaiian. He headed up there with family in tow and got a dwarf Hawaiian and a Carrie tree too.  What great choices! He has Keitt too so is mango covered for long months.

Both are already planted so I looked at them. I  saw but did not inspect the Carrie tree but the graft on the Dwarf H was exquisite and probably done by Har/Gunabanus
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:18:34 AM by zands »

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 22, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
I have an in ground Orange Sherbet tree (4 months from 7 gal) that is showing the same signs mentioned in post #1609. I know the recommendation in that case was to cut the tree below the damaged area but if I do that I will lose 3/4 of the tree as the damage is just above the first set of branches. Is there any way I can repair the tree or leave it alone in hopes that it grows fine, since it’s an otherwise beautiful and healthy tree, or am I risking problems down the line by going that route?

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 22, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
I had a similar mango tree problem 6 months ago. I came home one day and the Lemon M almost 3 y/o sized tree was laying on its side. I was pissed because I thought someone took a baseball bat and knocked it over. I looked where the impact was and could not find any. Then I saw why it went down. In Irma the tree was blown over and because the bark on the side the tree was leaning on separated bacteria etc were eating away more bark from underneath. So I started to remove the not attached bark until it was almost 3/4ths of the entire diameter. The most famous avocado expert on this TFF told me to leave it when I asked him if I should top it as high as I can but below the diseased part. I topped it and I'm glad I did because I have at least 10 branches coming out and it's exploding with growth. Your case looks way worse than mine with serious deep trunk damage so in my opinion do it because you'll be very happy when you see how fast it will recover unless it's rotten down the insides. Believe me with the rain and this high growth time within 3 weeks you will be soooo happy when you see the buds popping out and really taking off. I put a short video below of 4 Mango trees I had to do this to in the last 6 months and you will see exactly what I mean. These 4 mango trees I tried to nurse them back to health with various problems and then treatments for at least a year and they never got healthy so I just went ahead and topped them above their respective grafts as high as possible.
https://youtu.be/TLDtSCASWSg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 04:57:00 PM by weiss613 »

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 22, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Between that injury and the strap below it is a nice green, already swollen bud.  Cut the tree off about half-an-inch above that bud, without injuring the bud, and it will be fine.
Har

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 23, 2020, 02:49:59 AM »
Thank you Weiss and Har for your your advice and encouragement.