Author Topic: Dragon fruit plant in pot  (Read 19017 times)

miracle

• Los Angeles, California, 10A
    • View Profile
Dragon fruit plant in pot
« on: October 02, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
Here are some pictures of my dragon fruit plants in pots that I want to share.  Plants grows very healthy in a simple design supports. :D

Simple life is the best...cause life is too short.
Let it be....

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon fruit plant in pot
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
looks great! more information on how you built the structures?

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
Very nice trellis . What kind of material that you used to build the trellis? Please share your  ideas since I want to plant a dragon fruit in the container but don't know how to build the trellis.

arc310

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
looks like inside is like a tomato cage? and the bars are support beams (daiso or homedepot has them) to help give it more support...but the top portion i'm not too sure. one of the picture looks like iron pipes? the first picture is what..a bike tire of somesorts?  ;D

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:05:11 PM »
Nice job with your DF!
Brad Spaugh

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:15 AM »
Hello Arc310 and dragon,
Here is my trellis details you can build too.

I used onr 54" tomato cage ($6), two pieces 10-ft EMT (1/2" diameter ($2.6 for 10-ft)) cut in half to make four pieces, and two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit (electrical or water). Some 1-ft electrical wires to tie the conduit, pipe into the tomato cages. I used whatever are available around our house. All above materials are available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Soil:
I miss 60% my backyard soil with 40% organic mulch. Fill up 80% of 7-gal or 10- gal tall black plastic pot and put inside the clay pot that I bought about $26$ from Sam Club. Whatever size clay pot that look nice with your plastic pot.

Assembly:
I insert the 54-in tomato cage in the middle of the plastic pot.  Inserted four 5-ft EMT conduits even space around the cage and tied them up together. Finally I put two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit on the top then tie them up with cage and 5-ft EMT conduit.  Tara your trellis is done.

It is very simple and long last than wooden trellis.

Plant:
I like to grow only four dragon branch in center. I will pinch off all the new shoots below except two shoots on the top. When they reach over the 54"tomato cage I bend the dragon fruit  branch side way and cut the top of the df branches when they reach 2-ft. I like to train them as an umbrella shape. Simple, clean and nice...

Water and fertilizer:
I water once a week normally and two times per week if the temperatures over 100 degree F.
I used organic fertilizer as cow manure, chicken manure ,egg shells, coffee ground and banana peels on the top.  Some Alaska fish emulsion about 2 times a year. Or spray Epsom salt when I spray my other fruit trees.

If the dragon fruit plant too heavy on top in future. You can put some rocks on the clay pot of to counter balance. So far I  do not have a problem.
I hope that can help you arc310 and dragon.  Good luck :-)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:51:40 AM by miracle »
Let it be....

arc310

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
thanks for the DETAILED explanation. going to home depot/lowes tomorrow to give this a try!

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
thanks for the DETAILED explanation. going to home depot/lowes tomorrow to give this a try!
You are welcome.  If you have any questions, please let me know, arc310
Let it be....

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Hello Arc310 and dragon,

I used onr 54" tomato cage ($6), two pieces 10-ft EMT (1/2" diameter ($2.6 for 10-ft)) cut in half to make four pieces, and two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit (electrical or water). Some 1-ft electrical wires to tie the conduit, pipe into the tomato cages. I used whatever are available around our house. All above materials are available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Soil:
I miss 60% my backyard soil with 40% organic mulch. Fill up 80% of 7-gal or 10- gal tall black plastic pot and put inside the clay pot that I bought about $26$ from Sam Club. Whatever size clay pot that look nice with your plastic pot.

Assembly:
I insert the 54-in tomato cage in the middle of the plastic pot.  Inserted four 5-ft MET conduits even space around the cage and tied them up together. Finally I put two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit on the top then tie them up with cage and 5-ft MET conduit.  Tara your trellis is done.

Plant:
I like to grow only four dragon branch in center. I will pinch off all the new shoots below except two shoots on the top. When they reach over the 54"tomato cage I bend the dragon fruit  branch side way and cut the top of the df branches when they reach 2-ft. I like to train them as an umbrella shape. Simple, clean and nice...

Water and fertilizer:
I water once a week normally and two times per week if the temperatures over 100 degree F.
I used organic fertilizer as cow manure, chicken manure ,egg shells, coffee ground and banana peels on the top.  Some Alaska fish emulsion about 2 times a year. Or spray Epsom salt when I spray my other fruit trees.

If the dragon fruit plant too heavy on top in future. You can put some rocks on the clay pot of to counter balance. So far I  do not have a problem.

Thanks for showing us your way to build beautiful trellis. I think about build one in 15 gal. Is that enough soil for dragon plant in pot?

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:26:29 AM »
Hello Arc310 and dragon,

Soil:

Assembly:
I insert the 54-in tomato cage in the middle of the plastic pot.  Inserted four 5-ft MET conduits even space around the cage and tied them up together. Finally I put two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit on the top then tie them up with cage and 5-ft MET conduit.  Tara your trellis is done.

Plant:

Water and fertilizer:

Thanks for showing us your way to build beautiful trellis. I think about build one in 15 gal. Is that enough soil for dragon plant in pot?
Yes, you can use any pots you like, but do not use 15-gal tall pot.  From my painful experiences, one day, you dragon fruit plant will fallen.  Use 15-gal wide pot inside the clay pot.  Dragon fruit plants do not have a lot of roots.
Let it be....

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »
Yes, you can use any pots you like, but do not use 15-gal tall pot.  From my painful experiences, one day, you dragon fruit plant will fallen.  Use 15-gal wide pot inside the clay pot.  Dragon fruit plants do not have a lot of roots.
[/quote]

Thanks , will do as  you adviced

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
Nice trellis build you got their. I might make one tomorrow thank you for the details

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Hi Miracle, thanks a lot for sharing your efficient looking design!

My brother gave me 4 cuttings from his trees 2 days ago,
so your design showing up here is just in the nick of time for me...! :)

Sam

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:30:44 PM »
Just made mine today. Thank you for the design can't wait for them to grow

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »
Hi Miracle, thanks a lot for sharing your efficient looking design!

My brother gave me 4 cuttings from his trees 2 days ago,
so your design showing up here is just in the nick of time for me...! :)

You are welcome
Let it be....

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:02 AM »
Just made mine today. Thank you for the design can't wait for them to grow

Look very nice. Do not forget to put two pieces 3-ft plastic conduit on the top when your dragon fruit grows higher than the tomato case. Train your dragon fruit as an umbrella shape.  Good luck
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:20:22 AM by miracle »
Let it be....

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
I like your technique. Digging my plants up and starting over, inspired by your methodology, and nice pics.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »
Awesome!  I am totally copying you!

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 01:55:03 AM »
Thanks
Let it be....

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:12 PM »
Miracle,
I love your your trellis layout! So effective, yet economical! :) I just made one myself. 

I'm going to add some supplemental lighting and heat. Prehaps a reptile heat lamp? I haven't been able to get df to flower or even grow much inside the greenhouse. I suspect it doesn't like filtered sunlight, since my greenhouse has glass that reduces uv. It grows nicely outside in direct sunlight and hot weather. I want to grow it successfully this time. I'm so sick of nasty store-bought df. I am growing "Red Zamorano" and "Purple Haze". Fingers crossed!
Thanks for posting!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:15:11 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:18:19 AM »
Miracle,
I love your your trellis layout! So effector, yet economical! :) I just made one myself. 

I'm going to add some supplemental lighting and heat. Prehaps a reptile heat lamp? I haven't been able to get df to flower or even grow much inside the greenhouse. I suspect it doesn't like filtered sunlight, since my greenhouse has glass that reduces uv. It grows nicely outside in direct sunlight and hot weather. I want to grow it successfully this time. I'm so sick of nasty store-bought df. I am growing "Red Zamorano" and "Purple Haze". Fingers crossed!
Thanks for posting!

Thanks, sildanani
Your trellis is very nice too.  Good luck with your df
FYI my white df will flowers two crops per year, one in June and one in late August. Red df will flowers three crops: late March,  June and late August.
Let it be....

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »
Why not plant directly into the stone pot?
Thanks,

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »

Salvaged what I could of a yellow pitaya vine and repotted Miracle style a la Rob. Going to dig up American Beauty and Dark Star and do the same with them. Looking forward to dragon fruit success this time around. thank you!

Mustang128

• Temple City, California 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 07:55:34 PM »
Miracle,
I love your your trellis layout! So effector, yet economical! :) I just made one myself. 

Thanks for posting!

Thanks, sildanani
Your trellis is very nice too.  Good luck with your df
FYI my white df will flowers two crops per year, one in June and one in late August. Red df will flowers three crops: late March,  June and late August.

Wow, it's a miracle alright.  How do you get DF to fruit so many time per year?

thanks!

Kent

miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »
Why not plant directly into the stone pot?
Thanks,
Appearance. Plastic pot will not let the water absorb  to the ceramic pot. You will not see the water stain or white milddew on the pot. Your ceramic pot will last longer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:47:59 PM by miracle »
Let it be....