Author Topic: Nam Doc Mai Mangos in SoCal  (Read 3397 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Nam Doc Mai Mangos in SoCal
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
Commercially grown Nam Doc Mai Mangos from Mexico are available in San Diego. They can be found at Lucky Seafood and Seafood City in Mira Mesa for about $31 per box of 9 Mangos. They are good sized and appear to have been picked at the proper stage of ripeness.

One friend bought a box several weeks ago and reported the Mangos were sweet and great tasting.

I’m posting this because I have found NDM seedlings to be very vigorous when grown in SoCal. For anyone growing Mangos in SoCal, here is your chance to get some good fruit and also acquire some good vigorous seedlings to either grow out to fruition or for use as rootstocks.

Because NDM is Polyembryonic, you can get a clone and not have to worry about grafting. If you want to select a clone, I would recommend you grow out at least two seedlings from the same seed ensuring they each have their own separate root system.

Here are a couple pictures of the box I just picked up

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
Re: Nam Doc Mai Mangos in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 06:40:40 PM »
At Lucky Seafood, they also have Cat Hoa Loc Mangos from Vietnam. Because they are from Vietnam, I’m assuming they have been irradiated and the seeds may not sprout. The Brix averaged around 20-21%.

The fruit is sweet and good but it has a slightly funky undertone, probably because the ones I got were slightly over ripe.

I prefer CAC much more than Cat Hoa Loc

Simon

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:28:36 PM »
Hi Simon the NDM seeds from Mexico are not irradiated?
I can never for the life of me sprout any seeds imported...think they have been irradiated.

This year after coming Back from FL i bought back and planted 50 Different Fresh  seeds ( Planted 7/4 and 7/7) consisting off ..
P-22, Haden, T. Atkins, Super Julie  , Edgar , Edward, Karutha Colomban , Sucari ( Sukarya)  ,East Indian , Bombay , Mekong , Guava , Val carrie, Fruit punch, Dupois, Panchadari Kalassi,
Madam Frances , and maybe 10 Different Seedling great tasting Turpentine seeds Fruit hunting in WPB neighborhoods.

Thanks to your previous  post from the in-ground direct seed planted avocado that your friend successfully grew i got the idea to plant all my seeds in a 1 Gallon pot with soil accumulated from a friends
Backyard flood irrigation area. There is soil  that i noticed 2 months ago thas what  look like rich sediments with clay / sand / silt small shells ( everything seems to grow in it)

I collected that soil and filled 50 1 Gal pots with it  ( Slightly elevated above soil line..and i leave the Husks as is) i found that the earwigs and bugs will eat the seed, cut open the bottom of all the pots and then planted around 40 around my house in 4 Different beds and 10 at my Neighbors.

I got a tip that The Edgar seed seems to do well in CA.  Sure enough that was the first to sprout in my backyard. Then i have 2 Tommy that has started to sprout on the east side of my house.

This recipe seems to work well for me if i do not overwater the seeds. I already have a 1 year old Bolt seedling Doing great at my neighbors house ..the leaves are very fragrant from this seedling and no droopy leaves..also still in the pot with bottom cut out. I will not touch it.

Thank you Simon for your great advice to plant seeds ( for non- florida people)  then graft later.
I try to always pay attention to your posts and steal your knowledge. Will update on my future success and failures. Grafted trees all have died for me here in Phx. We will see.

Mike.

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
Anyone up here in Orange County find any Nam Doc Mai available? I would love to get my hands on a few!
<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »
Hey Mike,

I’m glad I can help. Brad and I did a lot of experimental plantings at his orchard and seedlings will grow significantly faster than grafted trees because of the Whole flowering issue with trees grafted with mature scionwood.

These NDM Mangos are grown in Mexico according to the box and they have been hot water treated so the seeds should be completely viable. I just cut open two fruit and the seed looks to be in great condition and ready to sprout with some green on it already.

Sweet Tart and Orange Sherbet also make excellent vigorous rootstocks or you can grow them out to fruition. Here are two seeds I pulled out yesterday from the NDM

Simon

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Stopped by Seafood City Cerritos, today, and there weren't NDM for sale

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
Maybe best to call first, could save you guys/gals some gas. On a side note, the NDM Mangos were in a Champaign mango box labeled with Manilla mango and there was a sticker label on it that Identifies it as NDM

Simon

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »
Few weeks ago when India was sending Alphonso boxes I bought a some and even though there were irradiated, I got about 50% to sprout.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
Hi Simon the NDM seeds from Mexico are not irradiated?
I can never for the life of me sprout any seeds imported...think they have been irradiated.

This year after coming Back from FL i bought back and planted 50 Different Fresh  seeds ( Planted 7/4 and 7/7) consisting off ..
P-22, Haden, T. Atkins, Super Julie  , Edgar , Edward, Karutha Colomban , Sucari ( Sukarya)  ,East Indian , Bombay , Mekong , Guava , Val carrie, Fruit punch, Dupois, Panchadari Kalassi,
Madam Frances , and maybe 10 Different Seedling great tasting Turpentine seeds Fruit hunting in WPB neighborhoods.

Thanks to your previous  post from the in-ground direct seed planted avocado that your friend successfully grew i got the idea to plant all my seeds in a 1 Gallon pot with soil accumulated from a friends
Backyard flood irrigation area. There is soil  that i noticed 2 months ago thas what  look like rich sediments with clay / sand / silt small shells ( everything seems to grow in it)

I collected that soil and filled 50 1 Gal pots with it  ( Slightly elevated above soil line..and i leave the Husks as is) i found that the earwigs and bugs will eat the seed, cut open the bottom of all the pots and then planted around 40 around my house in 4 Different beds and 10 at my Neighbors.

I got a tip that The Edgar seed seems to do well in CA.  Sure enough that was the first to sprout in my backyard. Then i have 2 Tommy that has started to sprout on the east side of my house.

This recipe seems to work well for me if i do not overwater the seeds. I already have a 1 year old Bolt seedling Doing great at my neighbors house ..the leaves are very fragrant from this seedling and no droopy leaves..also still in the pot with bottom cut out. I will not touch it.

Thank you Simon for your great advice to plant seeds ( for non- florida people)  then graft later.
I try to always pay attention to your posts and steal your knowledge. Will update on my future success and failures. Grafted trees all have died for me here in Phx. We will see.

Mike.

Where could you secure the Sucari ( Sukarya)? It seems to be a super rootstock in Egypt.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
Few weeks ago when India was sending Alphonso boxes I bought a some and even though there were irradiated, I got about 50% to sprout.

Do you have a picture of how they are doing now? Irradiated seeds will swell with water making it look like it’s growing and you can even see very slight root expansion but from over 100+ Irradiated seeds I planted, none of them has popped up through the soil with a true stem and leaves.

Maybe the box got skipped for irradiation or just luck of the draw.

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

Do you have a picture of how they are doing now? Irradiated seeds will swell with water making it look like it’s growing and you can even see very slight root expansion but from over 100+ Irradiated seeds I planted, none of them has popped up through the soil with a true stem and leaves.

Simon

Hmmm this may be my issue. I have had good luck getting leaves and stems out of the top tier mangoes I bought from FL, but haven't seen anything pop out of the Kent's from Costco save for a small root.

12Zodiac

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »
If NDM is grown from seed, how long before they fruit?

Clay

• USDA Zone 10B, 75' ASL, Orange County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »

Hmmm this may be my issue. I have had good luck getting leaves and stems out of the top tier mangoes I bought from FL, but haven't seen anything pop out of the Kent's from Costco save for a small root.

My Kent seeds from Costco are sprouting near 100% so far.

Clay

<<<< Clay >>>>
Orange County, CA 92626

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »

My Kent seeds from Costco are sprouting near 100% so far.

Clay

Weird. Maybe I just am impatient. I have around 6 that I was successful with, some ARE Kents, but not all. Some of the Kents I repotted after seeing roots and they haven't burst forth yet... Leading me to wonder.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 04:46:34 PM »

Simon

The Kent’s from Costco should be from Mexico and are usually hot water treated so the seeds should sprout. If the Mangos are irradiated, the box will be labeled.

Simon

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »

My seedling flowered and held small fruit at 2-3 years from seed. I removed the fruit to allow the tree to grow more.

Simon

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

Simon

Simon, you made me think now. I know for sure that I had killed a couple in the sun, and I had assumed that I still have 2 or 3 as the leaves are not super unique. But I barely found one left that also got sunburned as I moved many seedlings recently outside without acclimating. So I take the 50% back, maybe 20% at best. But I saw the symptoms that you described with a HW treated Mexican box and I concluded that mango seeds are super sensitive during the fruit development and the least infection may not necessarily affect the fruit formation but the seed will suffer.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 07:19:43 PM by ammoun »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 05:06:47 PM »
Maybe best to call first, could save you guys/gals some gas. On a side note, the NDM Mangos were in a Champaign mango box labeled with Manilla mango and there was a sticker label on it that Identifies it as NDM

Simon
They do look like what is call Manila here a commercial variety for many years, great mango large plantations in Veracruz, I understand is a totally different thing from what you call Manila in USA, Maybe just marketing strategy in CA. as they won't have great success labeled as Manila over there...
El verde es vida!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
Nam Doc Mai is different from Manila.

In this case, the packing/processing didn't have boxes with a NDM label, so they used the boxes for branded manila mangoes.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »

In this case, the packing/processing didn't have boxes with a NDM label, so they used the boxes for branded manila mangoes.
I know they are different, what I tried to say is I think they are not NDM but "Mexican" Manila labeled as NDM never seen or heard of NDM orchards in Mexico and both mangos while not the same share very similar characters...
El verde es vida!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 01:41:10 AM »

I know they are different, what I tried to say is I think they are not NDM but "Mexican" Manila labeled as NDM never seen or heard of NDM orchards in Mexico and both mangos while not the same share very similar characters...

Definitely NDM, it's the pronounced sharp nose that gives it the name barracuda mango. Manila are round nosed.

While not widely known, there are a number of varieties grown in Mexico, including Edward.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »

Most seedling in SoCal will flower in 3 or 4 years planted in ground.l

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 06:12:44 PM »
Yes, it is NDM. One side of the box was labeled with Manilla but there was a sticker on the other end with the NDM label. I have a NDM tree and have eaten many NDM.

Simon