Author Topic: What's up with the cool weather in SoCal???  (Read 8126 times)

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
What's up with the cool weather in SoCal???
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »
For those of you in SoCal it has been very cool in a summer which it was predicted to be one of the hottest one.  Have you experienced the unusual cool weather in your area??? I have NDM which is flowering right now. Could this be caused by the unseasonably cool weather???

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the cool weather in SoCal???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:04:27 AM »
I don't think so, my Nam Doc Mai is also flowering right now and it has been hot here.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:08:10 AM »
While we can always expect "June gloom" here along the coast, this year it has stretched beyond July and into "August foggest"...

... my trees seem to be loving the lack of heat waves and the mild/humid conditions.  This is the first year I have had a full second flowering on my established guava (tropical white) tree.  Also, my Haden mango which has done horribly at my place is flushing a lot of new growth right now - don't call it a comeback.  I get the impression some of my trees think it's Spring right now.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »
It's supposed to heat up this week, I'm leaving for Peru for 2 weeks and crossing my fingers that my irrigation doesn't fail. I took my real tropicals over to Ongs for him to "baby sit". On a side note Quang got bit by a rattlesnake last week, and was in the hospital for a few days, he is ok now and back to working like an animal.

My Pickering is flowering again, and has set another batch of fruit. The sapodillas, sugar apples, custard apples, imbes, coffee and other are flowering like crazy also.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
My plants are growing pretty slow this year because of the lack of warmth. My Maha Chanok has buds on it for about the last two months and looks like it might finally veg out soon. I hope we don't get those late summer heat waves up in the 100s. My dragonfruit loves the mild summer weather.
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
For those of you in SoCal it has been very cool in a summer which it was predicted to be one of the hottest one.  Have you experienced the unusual cool weather in your area??? I have NDM which is flowering right now. Could this be caused by the unseasonably cool weather???

We are having a mild August. The trees seem to love this weather. It hasn't slow down the annonas or the mango they are maturing right on schedule. The mamey sapote is flowering a few weeks earlier beside that no high air conditioner bill. My NDM flowered last September and I pulled the fruits in October.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
Here is a pic of one of my NDM

Here is a pic of my Duncan

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
I wonder if the heat is going to come in September into November.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
Yes, very mild summer so far.  It is finally heating up now.  It's supposed to be around 80 for the rest of the week here in Long Beach.

Most of my trees haven't had a growth flush yet this summer.  With this warming weather I'm hoping they all wake up very soon.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
I wonder if the heat is going to come in September into November.

Nullzy, it's not like we.'ve been in the 60's. our hight today is 87. we've been in the mid to low 80's since the beginning of August. The biggest issues is the marine layer which hangs around until 10am.....that's very rare for this time of year in La Habra.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
It's been a cool summer especially August, we've been overcast for weeks ( normal in June-July). Hopefully Sept. will be warm on the Central Coast usually Sept- Oct. can be one of our best warmth periods. Overall plants look good and fruiting still going on deciduous plants. Most of the Avocados are looking good some with great growth some sitting there but green! Cherimoya's still flowering and fruit set.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:40 AM »
Just spent a week in LA. The whole week was in the mid 70's. Rather mild for August, but not that unusual. Only seems cool when compared to temperatures in 90's experienced just a few weeks before. Seems so far the temperatures are all over the range, maybe a bit topsy turvy?
Oscar

Droshi

• Raleigh NC - USDA Zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
In Texas we've been having a pretty mild summer. Only the last week or two has it been getting up to 100 pretty late in the day. But not for long, and it just doesn't feel as hot as other years.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »
My plants seemed to be showing more growth when the temperatures were above 100. They were showing no signs of stress due to the extreme heat.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
My plants seemed to be showing more growth when the temperatures were above 100. They were showing no signs of stress due to the extreme heat.

High heat is good for some plants like the Mangoe's and Opuntia sp. Lychee's, Eugenia sp., Annona sp., and others don't seem to like it as much.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »

High heat is good for some plants like the Mangoe's and Opuntia sp. Lychee's, Eugenia sp., Annona sp., and others don't seem to like it as much.
yes i see the same here, in our last heat wave my trees just jump... the black sapote grew amazingly

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 01:02:11 PM »
Time for the SoCal desert RAT to chime in!

Yeah, DEFINITELY cooler than normal out here too.  In the upper 90's low 100's the last couple weeks, compared to the normally high of 108's-112's, but it is the mornings that are so lovely out here - low 70's - simply divine for taking walks with dogs, opening up the house, turning the fans on.... .....mmmmm...........mmmmmmmm........

This is the coolest August start I've ever seen.  I'd take this easily for the rest of the summer - all the mangoes are growing very well......

But as someone said, it is warming up as this week progresses - might be like 108-110 by the end of the week out here........oh well...knew it couldn't last...

Gary

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
Oh - 007 - those flowering mangoes are interesting.  Will be amazing if you're eating mangoes in December or there abouts....

G

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »

Yeah, DEFINITELY cooler than normal out here too.  In the upper 90's low 100's the last couple weeks, compared to the normally high of 108's-112's, but it is the mornings that are so lovely out here - low 70's - simply divine for taking walks with dogs, opening up the house, turning the fans on.... .....mmmmm...........mmmmmmmm........

This is the coolest August start I've ever seen.  I'd take this easily for the rest of the summer - all the mangoes are growing very well......

But as someone said, it is warming up as this week progresses - might be like 108-110 by the end of the week out here........oh well...knew it couldn't last...

Gary

We are about 6 degree below average at 82 but as you say it very nice for walking your dogs in the early mornings.

The mangos are still pushing bloom but the grafts have slow down....most are still green.

For those who have lived here for many years the fog and cooler temps is very unusual.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

Gary

We are about 6 degree below average at 82 but as you say it very nice for walking your dogs in the early mornings.

The mangos are still pushing bloom but the grafts have slow down....most are still green.

For those who have lived here for many years the fog and cooler temps is very unusual.

Not to mention the measurable amount of rain we got this summer.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »

Mangos love 100 degrees  temps but cherimoyas don't...and new growth is much more rapid especially if you soak them well.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »
Just spent a week in LA. The whole week was in the mid 70's. Rather mild for August, but not that unusual. Only seems cool when compared to temperatures in 90's experienced just a few weeks before. Seems so far the temperatures are all over the range, maybe a bit topsy turvy?

Hey Oscar, did you get a chance to pass by the OC fair?? Our local CRFG had a nice booth.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »

Hey Oscar, did you get a chance to pass by the OC fair?? Our local CRFG had a nice booth.

No didn't go there. Only fruit related event was going to Little Saigon, where they had "fresh" (ie unfrozen) monthong durians for only $7 a pound. A medium sized 7 pounder cost over $50!  :o  No, thanks.
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Oh - 007 - those flowering mangoes are interesting.  Will be amazing if you're eating mangoes in December or there abouts....

G

If they stick, I will definitely save you some to try if they are worth it. Right now I am waiting for the Mahas, NDM, Golden Lippens, and Keitts. I am hoping they will taste good.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:12 PM »

G

If they stick, I will definitely save you some to try if they are worth it. Right now I am waiting for the Mahas, NDM, Golden Lippens, and Keitts. I am hoping they will taste good.

007, I think your mangos are going to taste great despite Oscar's wacky weather forecast  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk