Author Topic: Creating a Fruit Tree Hedge, Please Help Me Decide on the Best One from the List  (Read 8125 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
UF Article on Hedges:

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/pdfs/urban_hort/Ornamental%20plants%20commonly%20used%20as%20hedges%20in%20south%20florida.pdf

I’m planting a fruit tree hedge. Of the following list (obtained from the above UF Article), which hedge has the best -sweet- tasting/quality fruit?

Key:
Common Name/Scientific Name
Fruit
Comments

(1) Brush cherry/Syzygium
Fruit: 1” purple fleshy oval
Edible fruit; flowers on new growth; nutritional deficiencies in limestone soils; variegated cultivar available. White cluster flowers.

(2) Cocoplum/Chrysobalanus icaco
Fruit: 2” white or pink; fleshy
Fruit: NATIVE; fruit food source for wildlife; edible; Red or green tip foliage forms; inconspicuous flowers.

(3) Firebush/Hamelia patens
Fruit: Soft, black ½” fruit
NATIVE; birds eat fruit; flowers on new growth; hummingbirds attracted to flowers; frequent pruning required to maintain at 4-6’ level. Red flowers

(4) Grumichama/Eugenia brasiliensis
Fruit: Red, purple, fleshy
Flowers on new growth; edible fruit; nutritional defiencies in limestone soil; inconspicuous flowers.

(5)Lingaro/Elaeagnus Philippensis
Fruit: 1”, pink, fleshy
Edible fruit. Foliage has silver undersides; fragrant inconspicuous flowers

(6) Natal Plum/Carissa macrocarpa
Fruit: 2”, red, fleshy oval
Edible fruit; thorny. White flowers

(7) Seagrape/Coccoloba uvifera
Fruit: 3/4” fleshy dark purple drupe
NATIVE; large round leaves; edible purple fruit

(8 ) Spanish/Eugenia foetida
Fruit: small black fruit
NATIVE; edible fruit; fruit attractive to birds. Inconspicuous flowers.

(9) Tallowwood/Ximenia Americana
Fruit: 1” yellow drupe
NATIVE; fragrant ivory axillary flowers; hard, close-grained wood; fruit edible raw or cooked

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:05:02 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Ok well I have experience with a few oh those.

Natal plum is a write off if you're after something that will produce fruit that can be eaten fresh out of hand, the fruit is nasty and really only good for jelly. It is also a very spiky plant.

Grumichama iis ok as far as fresh eating goes, but if you're picky you won't like it. Will hedge well though and has lovely smelling flowers.

Sea grape wouldn't make a very good hedge at all, I have no idea how it made the list. Fruit is meh, nothing to write home about. It's a spindly vertical growing tree with very large and sparsely growing leaves.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
red jabos would be perfect....plus they stay small, unlike many other jabos.  I also like grumichama.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
That article is about commonly-planted *ornamental* hedges, not hedges that are good for edible fruit.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Don't know how fast these grow in your area or how how maintenance-free you require the hedge to be.

These either stays small or can take the heavy pruning required to keep it small.
Figs
Opuntia
Pomegranate
Miracle fruit
Indian jujube - especially if people come to forage for ripe fruit.
Surinam cherry
Kumquat

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
My preference would be for a better tasting eugenia/syzygium (I'm trying Surinam Cherry as a hedge) or pineapple guava, a beautiful bush, flower (edible) and great tasting fruit.

Natal plum and brush cherry are basically survival food until someone selects some better varieties.

I like the kumquat idea.

Jujube would be interesting, I'd like to see that.
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
red jabos would be perfect....plus they stay small, unlike many other jabos.  I also like grumichama.
+1
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Thank you gals/guys for all the helpful – sweet – fruit hedge ideas. You have come up with some hedge ideas that make my mouth water, the thing is that there’s no second try; it has to hedge well. And, I would prefer a hedge that doesn’t need water/to-be-irrigated.

I’ll probably pass by The Fruit & Spice Park and see if and when they have grumichama available to taste.

I love the pineapple guava hedge idea. I suppose the fruit could be eaten before it ripens and the fruit fly invades?

Of the list I provided, I’m most inclined to the ‘Cocoplum.’ The fruit is 2” (inches)! And, fleshy! Although, I recall tasting it and the sugar content is somewhat low. Nevertheless, for a fruit freak like ‘moi,’ I’m attracted to it.

I never thought of it, but I love the idea of a ‘Red’ jaboticaba hedge. But, will it hedge well? For a 4’ to 6’ tall hedge? And, aren’t jabos slow growers? How long will it take to grow 4’ to 6’ (feet)? Also, jabos love water, won’t a jabo hedge require a lot of water to keep it looking decent?

I’m crazy about Opuntias, specially when they get established and grow to an overwhelming/overpowering size, and their fruit. But, a hedge? Someone is definitely prone to get pricked. (Ha, Ha)

I’ve personally had negative results with growing ‘Pomegranate.’

Is ‘Surinam Cherry’ and ‘Acerola’ the same thing?

With all these good ideas, how about shortening the list:

‘Cocoplum’
‘Grumichama’
‘Pineapple Guava’
‘Figs’
‘Indian Jujube’
‘Kumquat’
'Surinam Cherry?'

Now the question is: Which one will have the best hedge, fruit and low water requirement combination?

P.S.   Please feel free to add more suggestions, they are certainly welcomed, and thanks again everybody.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Surinam cherry is completely different than acerola (aka Barbados cherry). Surinam cherry is very juicy, with a soft texture that separates easily from the seed, and has a sort of complex taste that's difficult to characterize. Acerola has a texture similar to cherries but with less flesh, the flesh clings to the seeds (there are several fragments instead of a single pit), and it tastes basically like a raspberry.

Surinam cherry grows at a decent rate and works well as a hedge. Acerola tends to be skeletal in form and is much slower growing.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Thank you gals/guys for all the helpful – sweet – fruit hedge ideas. You have come up with some hedge ideas that make my mouth water, the thing is that there’s no second try; it has to hedge well. And, I would prefer a hedge that doesn’t need water/to-be-irrigated.

I’ll probably pass by The Fruit & Spice Park and see if and when they have grumichama available to taste.

I love the pineapple guava hedge idea. I suppose the fruit could be eaten before it ripens and the fruit fly invades?

Of the list I provided, I’m most inclined to the ‘Cocoplum.’ The fruit is 2” (inches)! And, fleshy! Although, I recall tasting it and the sugar content is somewhat low. Nevertheless, for a fruit freak like ‘moi,’ I’m attracted to it.

I never thought of it, but I love the idea of a ‘Red’ jaboticaba hedge. But, will it hedge well? For a 4’ to 6’ tall hedge? And, aren’t jabos slow growers? How long will it take to grow 4’ to 6’ (feet)? Also, jabos love water, won’t a jabo hedge require a lot of water to keep it looking decent?

I’m crazy about Opuntias, specially when they get established and grow to an overwhelming/overpowering size, and their fruit. But, a hedge? Someone is definitely prone to get pricked. (Ha, Ha)

I’ve personally had negative results with growing ‘Pomegranate.’

Is ‘Surinam Cherry’ and ‘Acerola’ the same thing?

With all these good ideas, how about shortening the list:

‘Cocoplum’
‘Grumichama’
‘Pineapple Guava’
‘Figs’
‘Indian Jujube’
‘Kumquat’
'Surinam Cherry?'

Now the question is: Which one will have the best hedge, fruit and low water requirement combination?

P.S.   Please feel free to add more suggestions, they are certainly welcomed, and thanks again everybody.

I'm not sure who recommended feijoa or pineapple guava but his will not hedge well at all, not even as well as guava which seems to get touted as a hedging tree but really isn't. Ace role cherry is different fm Surinam, I will  eat acerola but probably wouldn't eat Surinam cherries under pain of death.  They taste like capsicum mixed with cherry... Just weird and not nice to my Taste.

I'm surprised nobody has recommended wax Jambu yet. Great hedging species with beautiful foliage and has a cooling effect on the area it's planted out in. I like the fruit very much but not many people seem to, they are very mild.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I have 2 pineapple guava, but my understanding is they don't fruit this far south.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
How about carambola. I see someone in Broward who is selling non grafted ones fairly cheap (craigslist)  Also Lowes and HD has one gallon citrus for about $11. They are meyer lemon/persian lime/key lime
Start sprouting your own carmbola seeds or see if cuttings can be rooted

Also for a hedge build a trellis for muscadine grapes that will fill in pretty quickly.....Or Tari bunch grape grows really fast. See Pine Island nursery about it

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Feijoa or Pineapple Guava make perfect hedges. There are 100's of 4-6 ft tall Feijoa hedges everywhere locally. Most people do not know they have delicious edible fruit and think they are an ornamental.
You can hedge pomegranates, citrus, Loquat, Eugenia's. A passion fruit hedge could provide a lot of fruit.
Loquat's can make a fast growing , beautifull, productive hedge.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
I don't know who recommended Wax Jambu, but they taste like styrofoam.

;)
Shane

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
I went through this a few years ago and experimented with:

Surinam Cherry, An attractive dense hedge if cared for, productive, but...  the fruit reminds me of kerosene. YUK!

Acerola - not very attractive, or productive. I love the fruit juiced but its grassy smell turns me off, has to be chopped severely to bush

Cocoplum - Not a bad hedge, and while sweet has no flavor

Grumichama - not bad tasting, grows painfully slow and not a very thick hedge

Pineapple Guava - Not dense enough for a hedge, slow growing and does not fruit down here

Figs - Not a dense grower, LOVE the fruit

Kumquat - Not a hedge, don't like the fruit

Loquat - nice little tree, stingy producer, I don't think it will make a good hedge

I still have one acerola bush, three Grumichama, three pineapple guava, a loquat and several figs not as hedge material, but as fillers along my fence line. 

Regards,

Gary

LEOOEL

• View Profile
I have 2 pineapple guava, but my understanding is they don't fruit this far south.

Nice, thanks, if no fruit, then pineapple guava is definitely out of the list.

I'm not sure who recommended feijoa or pineapple guava but his will not hedge well at all, not even as well as guava which seems to get touted as a hedging tree but really isn't. Ace role cherry is different fm Surinam, I will  eat acerola but probably wouldn't eat Surinam cherries under pain of death.  They taste like capsicum mixed with cherry... Just weird and not nice to my Taste.

I'm surprised nobody has recommended wax Jambu yet. Great hedging species with beautiful foliage and has a cooling effect on the area it's planted out in. I like the fruit very much but not many people seem to, they are very mild.

Surinam Cherry, An attractive dense hedge if cared for, productive, but...  the fruit reminds me of kerosene. YUK!

It seems to be appropriate to kick 'Surinam Cherry' off of the list because of the offending taste.

Feijoa or Pineapple Guava make perfect hedges. There are 100's of 4-6 ft tall Feijoa hedges everywhere locally. Most people do not know they have delicious edible fruit and think they are an ornamental.
You can hedge pomegranates, citrus, Loquat, Eugenia's. A passion fruit hedge could provide a lot of fruit.

OK, let's put 'Loquat' and 'Eugenia' through the ringer of Forum Member Opinions and then decide whether it's a contender or not for this List.

;)
Very funny. But, while not easy to disagree, perhaps the trick is to consume it in the proper fashion? Do Asians consume it in some specific way, perhaps they combine it with other fruit as in a fruit salad?

Loquat - nice little tree, stingy producer, I don't think it will make a good hedge
Your 'Cocoplum' description is perfect, I think you hit the nail on the head. With a little genetic manipulation to put some more sweetness into the fruit, that would be a good step forward for this fruit.

'Kumquat' is off the List, if no objections?

'Loquat:' it seems this is a great fruit tree hedge for California, but not for South Florida? Very interesting, it would be great if someone else with a 'Loquat' tree/hedge in S. Florida would chime in.

It looks like based on the opinion of you gals/guys, this is the new List:

'Cocoplum' (good hedge; plain, no thrills fruit taste)
'Indian Jujube' (seems to work for California, how about S. Florida?)
'Loquat' (it's decided, we like the fruit, but does it make a good hedge?)
'Eugenia' (the fruit name sounds familiar but I'm a blank otherwise on this one.)
'Wax Jambu?' (attractive fruit; plain, no thrills fruit taste; but, will it make a good hedge?)

Is 'Indian Jujube' better tasting than 'Was Jambu?'

If the intended hedge is meant to be decent, respectful, proud, attractive and sure, why not, virtuous looking, would 'Cocoplum' come out as the winner?

P.S.   Thanks everybody for your great help/input.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Nice, thanks, if no fruit, then pineapple guava is definitely out of the list.

It seems to be appropriate to kick 'Surinam Cherry' off of the list because of the offending taste.

OK, let's put 'Loquat' and 'Eugenia' through the ringer of Forum Member Opinions and then decide whether it's a contender or not for this List.

;)
Very funny. But, while not easy to disagree, perhaps the trick is to consume it in the proper fashion? Do Asians consume it in some specific way, perhaps they combine it with other fruit as in a fruit salad?

Your 'Cocoplum' description is perfect, I think you hit the nail on the head. With a little genetic manipulation to put some more sweetness into the fruit, that would be a good step forward for this fruit.

'Kumquat' is off the List, if no objections?

'Loquat:' it seems this is a great fruit tree hedge for California, but not for South Florida? Very interesting, it would be great if someone else with a 'Loquat' tree/hedge in S. Florida would chime in; perhaps it may have something to do with the soil?

Based on the opinion of you gals/guys, it looks like this is the new list:

(1) 'Cocoplum' (good hedge; plain, no thrills fruit taste)
(2) 'Indian Jujube' (seems to work for California, how about S. Florida?)
(3) 'Loquat' (it's decided, we like the fruit, but does it make a good hedge?)
(4) 'Eugenia' (the fruit name sounds familiar but I'm a blank otherwise on this one.)
(5) 'Wax Jambu?' (attractive fruit; plain, no thrills fruit taste; but, will it make a good hedge?)

Is 'Indian Jujube' better tasting than 'Wax Jambu?'

If the intended hedge is meant to be decent, respectful, proud, attractive and sure, why not, virtuous looking, would 'Cocoplum' come out as the winner?

P.S.   Thanks everybody for your great help/input, whether your fruit hedge suggestions made it to the list or not, thank you and please keep'm coming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:48:46 AM by LEOOEL »

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
There are good cultivars of wax jambu actually, although I would never consider it a hedge. A good one can taste strongly like honey, with a subtle apple taste on top of it, when fully ripe. They turn red (or whatever their final color is) but then slowly darken over weeks, and must be eaten after this slow ripening is complete. Also, keeping the trees relatively dry during this time results in sweeter and more flavorful fruit.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
There are superior Cocoplum and seagrapes, its just the common ones that arent anything to write home about.

I would recommend a mulberry hedge. Good fruit, fast and dense growing. Responds well to repeated trimming and chopping

Down sides, Idk how well it will produce as a hedge. And all cultivars lose some leaves in the winter, but not all the leaves.
- David Antonio Garcia

LEOOEL

• View Profile
There are superior Cocoplum and seagrapes, its just the common ones that arent anything to write home about.

Interesting, on what do you base your statement above? I'd love to know where the superior 'Cocoplums' & 'Seagrapes' are to be found. Superior fruit along with superior hedges would double the pleasure.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile

Interesting, on what do you base your statement above? I'd love to know where the superior 'Cocoplums' & 'Seagrapes' are to be found. Superior fruit along with superior hedges would double the pleasure.

I have found that the good tasting ones are in the wild. The best cocoplums I have had are the coastal ones with the big white fruit, with seagrapes you have to be careful because they are protected by state law.

ccamp

• USA, FL, Miramar, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
If you really want a nice looking hedge that produces maybe find an improved cultivate of Surinam cherry.  I have a hedge on one side of my backyard  (neighbors hedge)  The fruit are not good but far as hedges go I really like it and it is quite productive despite pruning.  There are several threads on the forum about improved varieties - see if you can try a couple prior to purchase.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
If you really want a nice looking hedge that produces maybe find an improved cultivate of Surinam cherry.  I have a hedge on one side of my backyard  (neighbors hedge)  The fruit are not good but far as hedges go I really like it and it is quite productive despite pruning.  There are several threads on the forum about improved varieties - see if you can try a couple prior to purchase.
Yes, for the reviews above on the bad taste of some fruits, they ate bad varieties that tasted like kerosene and styrofoam. If it fruits and the plant can be hedged, you can find a cultivar that tastes good.

I second the mulberry hedge idea. Morus alba (Pakistani type) will keep fruiting if pruned back severely.
Too bad on the feijoa not fruiting. Over here I sometimes see them used for hedges. I think people bought them by mistake because this was in a college dorm area.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
I love the Pakistani Mulberry, I have a productive tree myself. My concern is that the leaves are large and as such, that will detract from the aesthetics of the hedge.

BTW, if someone finds improved fruit cultivars of trees that make good hedges and they don't propagate them, that is fruit sacrilige.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:56:01 AM by LEOOEL »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk