Author Topic: Guavas that are Worm Resistant - Thread  (Read 2507 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Guavas that are Worm Resistant - Thread
« on: September 12, 2018, 01:19:42 AM »
These are guavas from my favorite of three varieties that I have in my yard. I like to pick them when still hard so there are no worms inside. But, even when they ripen, the worm content is minimal, if any. This is the main reason why I love this guava tree. I don’t know if it’s an old variety or a new one. It’s very productive. And, as the years go by, the fruit size and production has increased. It’s as if it’s saying: Look, I’m immune to worms, I Am Spartacus! If it’s indeed a new guava variety, that’s what I would like to name it: ‘Spartacus.’

I originally got this tree as a ‘pup’ that was growing from the roots of my neighbors’ guava tree. He would always bring us guavas. His tree would produce an excessive amount of fruit. He had been living there for over 50 years. His wonderful sweet wife died a few years ago and his property was sold. The new owners tore everything down, including the fantastic guava tree! Now, all that is left from the original guava tree of my former neighbor is the guava ‘pup’ that he gave me, which has now grown and is thriving.

The color inside the guavas is pink! (Follow-up photo(s) to come, God Willing). The flavor is not too sweet, and it has a nice refreshing wake-up kick taste to it.

I feel very fortunate to have this variety. It kinda grows branches out like if it’s on steroids. It’s very productive. I neglect it completely but it thrives and just loves the environment that it’s in, which is exactly the same behavior of the original mother tree of my former neighbor, including my favorite characteristic: Great Worm Resistance.

I am - I mean my guava is - : Spartacus!

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
Re: Guavas that are Worm Resistant - Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 01:40:41 AM »
Great story and guava tree. It's very fortunate you were able to save a 'pup' so this special tree can live on. Thanks for sharing!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Here are the pictures of how the guavas look (Red-pink) inside.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 02:27:58 PM »
I needed to prune back guavas and tried air layers it was so easy. In 6 weeks I got 20 new trees. One month further in pots to develop more roots and then in the ground. Since the trees I layered from were adults all the new growth began to flower within one month, so I had to pinch off the flowers. Just used sphagnum moss and aluminum foil.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Never heard of any guava tree that is fruit fly resistant. My guess is that it just fruited at a time when there were few fruit flies around. This can happen due to weather, climate. This happens here also, and then you get fruits with no maggots. Do you have fruit fly traps to prove that fruit fly was present and it did not get stung?
Oscar

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »
Most likely the Fruit Fly eggs are on the exterior of the fruit when it’s still hard and, then go into the fruit when it starts to get softer. I think this is what’ going on. I have found larva inside edible fruit on rare occasions.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:19 AM »
Most likely the Fruit Fly eggs are on the exterior of the fruit when it’s still hard and, then go into the fruit when it starts to get softer. I think this is what’ going on. I have found larva inside edible fruit on rare occasions.
The fruit fly deposits its eggs directly into the inside of the fruit, that is why they have the stinger, to penetrate the fruit exterior.
Oscar

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 02:34:23 AM »
Is there a health risk for eating some larvae without noticing them? i guess they directly die inside the stomach and add some proteins lol. But just want to have other opinions.  I cut the part where i see some stuff moving and eat the rest.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »
Is there a health risk for eating some larvae without noticing them? i guess they directly die inside the stomach and add some proteins lol. But just want to have other opinions.  I cut the part where i see some stuff moving and eat the rest.
I think the only health risk is that you will get grossed out, maybe a little nausea, but all psychological.
Oscar

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 09:10:11 AM »
I needed to prune back guavas and tried air layers it was so easy. In 6 weeks I got 20 new trees. One month further in pots to develop more roots and then in the ground. Since the trees I layered from were adults all the new growth began to flower within one month, so I had to pinch off the flowers. Just used sphagnum moss and aluminum foil.

What varieties did you propagate?
- Marley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk