Author Topic: Please ID this mango variety from the given description of the fruit and tree  (Read 1331 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Please ID this mango variety from the given description of the tree and fruit:

This is not a new mango variety. This variety has been around for quite a while.

The fruit is of legendary excellent quality. The size of the fruit is towards a large size and a roundish shape. The flesh has no threads and is of excellent eating taste and quality.

The tree is famous for being exceptionally ugly!

I need to purchase this variety but I cannot remember the variety name, please help!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Maybe Kent?  Keitt trees are ugly, but the fruit is not roundish and is more fibrous than Kent.
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Maybe Kent?  Keitt trees are ugly, but the fruit is not roundish and is more fibrous than Kent.

Thank you for the reply, but:

No, the mango variety is not Kent or Keitt.

I used to know the name but have now forgotten it. But, I know that once I see the name again It’ll come back to me.

If I remember correctly, the name of the mango variety had at least one letter ‘o’ in it.

The name of the variety that I’m looking for, is a variety that is famous/legendary for having an excellent fruit, but an ugly & crappy looking tree.

BTW, I have 2 ‘Keitt’ mango trees & both are beautiful. And, ditto for the Kent mango trees that I’ve seen.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
You don’t mention coloration of the fruit, may be helpful. Mulgoba, maybe? Would guess Coconut Cream, but I don’t know if that’s considered to have been around “for quite a while”.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:35:06 PM by canesgirl821 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Lets get past the description of "exellence" and "legendary" and lets focus on facts...
Color, shape of fruit, what season (early, mid or late), how long ago, where was this mystery tree?
- Rob

LEOOEL

• View Profile
Found it. The name of the desired mango variety is: ‘Cushman’

This is the Thread where I described this variety and others (My thanks to all who helped):

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23732.msg283707#msg283707

Cushman: I've been told that those that see the adult tree, have a tendency to throw up (it's that ugly?).

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
No tree would ever make me throw up no matter how ugly.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
Found it. The name of the desired mango variety is: ‘Cushman’

This is the Thread where I described this variety and others (My thanks to all who helped):

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23732.msg283707#msg283707

Cushman: I've been told that those that see the adult tree, have a tendency to throw up (it's that ugly?).

Ha!  I was gonna say that when you described a round fruit (even though its not legendary) but when you said it had an "o" in the name, I pulled back...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
You may have a tough time finding a tree.  You may also not want to grow it due to it's issues.  Its not just an ugly, scraggly growing tree but the tree is disease prone.  Even worse, it appears to be highly susceptible to MBBS. 
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
My Cushman was kinda ugly, and a sparse grower. I was a big fan of the fruit though.  It was knocked over twice, by hurricanes. Otherwise I'd have it still.