Author Topic: Sugar Cane varieties  (Read 31195 times)

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
Re: Sugar Cane varieties
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
Look cool, I haven't seen these before and don't grow them, that purple looks nice with long internode length. thanks for sharing!
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 09:11:34 PM »
If I find that 'Hawaiian Purple' here in S. Florida, I'm definitely getting it, it's a real beauty and on top of that it's tasty!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Here's an update of my yellow gal and Green and red stripped ribbon cane. They should be ready for harvest next year. There's probably only about a foot or two of cane so far.

Simon

You can see the stripe on the bottom left corner of the first picture.
Simon
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:10:09 PM by simon_grow »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Anyone else here growing Sugarcane? I'm interested to find new good looking and tasting varieties. If you do have some growing, I would love to see some picture and also hear a description of the taste. My canes are growing well and I'll probably sample some this year but I'll probably wait until the end of this year to allow the canes to really sweeten up.

Simon

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
I grow Asian black I had red but I pulled it because it wasn't as good as the black.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
where can I get some of the Asian black? would love to try it. I have the green and the red one, and I agree that the red one isn't that great, but looks neat though!

what do you guys fertilize them with?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 10:42:10 PM »
I treat my sugarcane very poorly, it is a grass after all. I fertilize mine with whatever old or unwanted fertilizer I have laying around and they grow really fast. I got my plants into the ground around summer last year and some of my cane are about 6-8 feet now with probably about 3-4 feet of usable cane.
Simon

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »
Where did you buy your sugar cane from, Simon? Can you post a photo of your plant?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 11:24:10 PM »
I got my sugarcane from multiple sources including generous members of this forum. I also picked up some cuttings from trying sugarcane juice from different markets and then asking to purchase cuttings if I liked the juice. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. You are welcome to a cutting but local pickup only, I can not ship.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
The SoCal heatwave got me real thirsty the other day so I picked some sugarcane from my backyard. These sugarcane have been in the ground less than a year and are not fully ripe but they are sweet enough that I had to dilute them down with ice or else it would have been too sweet. The only variety that was not sweet was the Yellow Gal, the thickest sugarcane. I was thinking it would be the sweetest because it was the thickest but that was definitely not the case.

The three varieties in the picture are Yellow Gal, Green and Red Striped, Asian Black. There is only 1-3 feet of usable cane so far and the upper portions close to the leaves are not sweet. The Yellow Gal was not sweet at all and had a slightl wheat grass taste but not nearly as much chlorophyll flavor, I think this is because it is very under ripe and had no sweetness to it. This Yellow Gal was so thick that I had to cut it in half lengthwise in order to juice it with my manual crank sugarcane juicer.

The Green and Red Striped was very sweet with excellent flavor and it was also very easy to juice with my manual crank sugarcane juicer because it was not as thick as YG. The juice was very refreshing with high mineral taste. I mean this in a good way. It tasted like it picked up a lot of minerals and salts from the soil.

The Asian Black was also extremely sweet but the flavor is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to the Green and Red Stripe. The flavor of the Asian Black is very clean with absolutely no mineral or salt taste to it whatsoever. It tastes very pure as if it were triple filtered through charcoal, very hard to explain but if you were to taste the Asian Black next to the Green and Red Stripe, you would absolutely know what I'm talking about.

I still have Purple and San Diego Yellow sugarcane that I have not sampled yet, at least not ones that I have grown myself. Of all the varieties I have tried so far, San Diego Yelliw is my favorite because it has a balanced taste, kind of between Asian Black and Green and Red Stripe. I also like it because it oxidizes the slowest meaning that when you juice it, it takes much longer for this variety to start turning dark compared to other varieties which typically turn dark immediately. The downside to San Diego Yellow is that so far, it is the thinnest growing variety. This is actually a good thing if you have a manual juicer but it is bad if plan on peeling and chewing.

I need to wait another year or two so that I have all varieties ripe at the same time so that I can do a proper side by side comparison. I didn't take Brix readings but I'll try to get numbers next time I juice. I don't think my Refractometer goes high enough, I'll have to pick up another one that is in the proper range.

Simon

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 04:45:12 AM »
Simon thanks for the update.  That yellow gal doesn't look mature enough, that explains the lack of flavor and sweetness.  Its early  spring and the flavors will be off this time of year. Summer and fall when the cane is larger and more mature will give best flavors is climates that are not truly tropical year round.

happy juicing!

www.greenplanetfarm.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 09:15:41 AM »
Thanks for the information Luke. I guess the good news is that anyone that wants sweet cane in under a year should plant the Asian Black and Green and Red Striped sugarcane as they are sweet already. I believe Yellow a Gal is a commercially planted variety and takes much longer to mature. I'll give another update when these are fully ripe.

These sugarcan, especially the Black, purple, Red and Striped are extremely ornamental and I constantly get questions from neighbors asking me if it's black bamboo.

Simon

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06:19 AM »
the black is my fave, I got rid of all of the other kinds I had. They were no fun to dig up.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
How deep does their root system grow? Would like to know so I'll know how deep to amend the garden bed. I got some Asian black variety coming in the mail.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
I'd love to get a few of the better varieties.  I haven't grown sugar cane in over 20 years.  Would love do grow it again.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
How deep does their root system grow? Would like to know so I'll know how deep to amend the garden bed. I got some Asian black variety coming in the mail.

Mine went about 12" down, but the roots spread out around 2' each way. I have found that heavy mulching and adding compost helps a lot.

jackedfruit

• Sweden, Zone 7a / Greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
I'm trying to grow some cane this year too. Here's a 2.5 month old 'Ceniza Bengala' that's doing well considering it has yet to see the sun.
What do you guys do with the lower leafs that are drying up as the cane grows, do you let them be or do you remove them?

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 01:39:18 PM »
I pull the lower leaves monthly, when they are ready they fall off in your hands.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2015, 09:14:11 AM »
I also pull off the lower dried leaves as they dry up. This prevents moisture from building up and helps with disease prevention. By pulling off the dried leaves, you also allow more surface area of the green leaves beneath the dried leaves to photosynthesis.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
I harvested some Asian Black and San Diego Yellow sugarcane today and wanted to give a taste and Brix report. Sugarcane sweeten up in the Winter and the juice was definitely sweet. First up was the Asian Black, I juiced it with its skin on so the juice turned color a bit. I tested the Brix on different sections of the cane and the top of the cane near the leaves had a Brix of 19% and the bottom of the cane had a Brix of 23%. When I finished juicing all the Asian Black cane, I collected it in one large container and the overall Brix came out to 22%.

The San Diego Yellow had a Brix of 18% near the top and 21% at the bottom. The average Brix in the final collection container was 20%.

When I tasted these two varieties side by side, the SD Yellow actually had less of a mineral taste than the Asian Black. I'm starting to think that the sweeter cane will typically have more of that mineral taste which is not a bad thing. That mineral taste I'm talking about is kind of a salty taste, I'm guessing it is partially due to increased levels of potassium.

I can't pick a favorite, they are both equally excellent. I'm not posting pictures because I already posted pics of the cane and the juice of both these varieties.

Simon

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
Simon,

Thanks for the report, pretty interesting knowing the brix level and then tasting them side by side. To my the Asian black makes for a great fresh eating and chewing cane, the  peel on does darken the juice but that's where all the good nutrients and minerals are anyway.

My favorite juice is my "home green' cane. it makes a beautiful color and tasting juice. also it grows very well for me and fattens up to yield lots of juice.

Whats the best way to test brix levels?

www.greenplanetfarm.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 12:11:34 AM »
Hey Luke,

To test Brix levels, I use a refractometer. They can be purchased for around $30. Here's one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-hen0-32-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B007X18XL2

To use it, you just put a drop or two of juice onto the refractometer and hold it up to a light to see the reading. Some fruit will require a refractometer that reads higher than 32% Brix. I've tested a few Lemon Zest Mangos that were above 32%!

Simon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »
Hey Forum,

Can anyone with Asian Black or Hawaiian Purple DM me would like to purchase some cuttings or if know a website or south florida nursery to point me in right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joep450

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Joe, have you found the Asian Black sugarcane locally in Florida? If not, I can send you some as long as you agree to share any extras with others in your area that might also be looking for this variety.

Simon

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »
Can I get a cutting, Simon? Right now I only have two varieties, both from Exotica; a red-stemmed and a softer yellow-stemmed one. I would love to get my hands on the black one. What does your plant look like at the moment?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk