Author Topic: 'Honey Kiss' mango  (Read 14566 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
'Honey Kiss' mango
« on: April 02, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
This Honey Kiss mango is a tree in Walter Zill's grove. It is a dwarf, late season tree. It will fruit in clusters much of the time and is a heavy, reliable, bearer. Walter said it has very good lateral branching and makes a nice canopy. The ones I tired early last year were a little washed out but the late seasons were excellent.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:05:34 PM by mikesid »

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: 'Honey Kiss' mango
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:08:55 PM »
I saw the Honey Kiss mango tree's (grafted) for sale in Bangkok. Hope to taste one soon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
I saw the Honey Kiss mango tree's (grafted) for sale in Bangkok. Hope to taste one soon.

I have serious doubts that we are talking the same tree.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »
Looks like its going to be a big tree- its its the tree Im thinking of, its grown a low since last year.

I like the name; very appropriate

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »

Well i also doubt that but i saw them on a big fruit fair in a treeshop who only sells new variety's.

Is it a new developed variety and highly searched for? Then probably we are talking about the same one....Last year i saw Summer Snow mango for sale in that same shop, Summer Snow is only in Australia if i recall well.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

Well i also doubt that but i saw them on a big fruit fair in a treeshop who only sells new variety's.

Is it a new developed variety and highly searched for? Then probably we are talking about the same one....Last year i saw Summer Snow mango for sale in that same shop, Summer Snow is only in Australia if i recall well.

For now, except for a few private collectors, this is a tree in an individual's private yard and has not been propagated on any scale where it would have wound up across the ocean to where it was propagated for sale.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
Looks like its going to be a big tree- its its the tree Im thinking of, its grown a low since last year.

I like the name; very appropriate
Definitely not a big tree.  A very compact grower.  I would not say its a dwarf either, maybe along the lines of Carrie in compactness and possibly a tad smaller than Carrie size-wise.  As Mike said, it bears heavy and in clusters, weighing the branches down to where they weep with the weight of the mangoes.  It doesn't however seem to have the breakage issue that I have seen with Duncan when it is overloaded with fruit.

Again, it can be picked mature green but will ripen much better and with peak flavor is left on the tree until it begins to or heavily obtains its yellow/golden base color.  When its allowed to color up on the tree, the texture and flavor will be amazing and a distinct honey taste is present.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »

For now, except for a few private collectors, this is a tree in an individual's private yard and has not been propagated on any scale where it would have wound up across the ocean to where it was propagated for sale.

Well i have no idea how it is possible. This shop seems to have the newest mango variety's every year. No idea if they sell the real deal or just copy the name or any other trick. New variety tree's cost 10 times more then common ones and this shop only sells the expensive ones.

They had more new variety's but i had never heard of them.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
BK, perhaps you mixed up names with "honey gold" from Australia?  Summer snow is from Taiwan.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
The trees that were recently propagated were labeled "43-26", I was surprised to see a number that would seem to indicate a column/row selection? That would hypothetically be a tree in slot 1118.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:51:50 PM »
Carrie a small tree . I have seen old trees 35 feet tall.
Mike

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
Well i have no idea how it is possible. This shop seems to have the newest mango variety's every year. No idea if they sell the real deal or just copy the name or any other trick. New variety tree's cost 10 times more then common ones and this shop only sells the expensive ones.

They had more new variety's but i had never heard of them.

It's not the same mango you saw. I can guarantee is 100%. It's either a different mango with the same name or as someone else suggested a mango with a similar name but it is definitely not the same Honey Kiss that Walter Zill is selling.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:25:04 PM »
Allright i guess it is not the same then. I will check that stand next fair again.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
The trees that were recently propagated were labeled "43-26", I was surprised to see a number that would seem to indicate a column/row selection? That would hypothetically be a tree in slot 1118.

any idea how many were propagated?  Was budwood from walter's tree grafted onto a tree in the field?  Why would it have a row #, if it was just a private tree (just curious, not debating)?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »

any idea how many were propagated?  Was budwood from walter's tree grafted onto a tree in the field?  Why would it have a row #, if it was just a private tree (just curious, not debating)?

That was its field planting number in Gary Zill's breeding program.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Honey Kiss is a pretty nice tasting mango. To my buds, it sits on the milder end of mango flavor spectrum: sweet, sunny, vaguely "tropical"

If I had to pick just one variety (based on taste alone) that had the potential to be a mainstream success, something that would sell at Whole Foods and become widely-accepted among normal consumer tastes ... I would bet the farm on Honey Kiss.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 05:31:06 AM »
5 years later this is still the best info on Honey Kiss available online

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 08:48:27 AM »
Had a lot of powdery mildew this year

None on Honey Kiss

Next to Phoenix which had it bad

Cotton Candy was spotless

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
First year my honey kiss is fruiting, about 2 years in the ground and it is loaded. Will definitely have to cull of some fruitlets to avoid branches snapping.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
First year my honey kiss is fruiting, about 2 years in the ground and it is loaded. Will definitely have to cull of some fruitlets to avoid branches snapping.
My Honey Kiss is also two years old.  It has set only a few fruit, which is okay.  At least, I'll get to taste them.  (And first year for Maha Chanok fruit--not a lot, but more than Honey Kiss.  My two workhorses, Pickering and Angie, are once again loaded.)
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
5 years later this is still the best info on Honey Kiss available online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QuFA_3myGU

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:54 PM »
Anyone else find HK a bit more susceptible to fungus or scale?
- Marley

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »
I have been testing the new Zills at my place so I have let them go without spray until I can telll more about them

The Phoenix would have lost its entire crop and had to spray it 

Next to it the Honey Kiss had none

Might be other problems but pm isn’t one of them

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
I have been testing the new Zills at my place so I have let them go without spray until I can telll more about them

The Phoenix would have lost its entire crop and had to spray it 

Next to it the Honey Kiss had none

Might be other problems but pm isn’t one of them

my honey kiss is the same, right next to it is my orange essence which had problem with black spot earlier and it always looks kind of chlorotic. Phoenix is always green and clean

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
I little HK is looking happy tiny though , I Belive I hand washed the black sooty mold with soapy water , once or twice .

Zone 10