Author Topic: Otaheite Apple (Malay apple - Syzygium malaccense) tree no fruits after years  (Read 2674 times)

Geppo

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
I have an Otaheite Apple tree in my backyard planted close to the lake. It is about 15 feet tall but there are no fruits or blossoms as yet. Is anyone here familiar with this plant and can shed some light on this for me? How long does to take to bear fruits and what time of year is it supposed to be blossoming?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:14:04 PM by murahilin »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Otaheite Apple tree no fruits after years
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
I have an Otaheite Apple tree in my backyard planted close to the lake. It is about 15 feet tall but there are no fruits or blossoms as yet. Is anyone here familiar with this plant and can shed some light on this for me? How long does to take to bear fruits and what time of year is it supposed to be blossoming?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat, I planted a Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense) by my parents house over 4 years ago. Its around 20 feet, never had flowers. Bought it as a 3 gallon tree. Wish i had some answers.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:48:33 PM »

Thanks

I'm in the same boat, I planted a Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense) by my parents house over 4 years ago. Its around 20 feet, never had flowers. Bought it as a 3 gallon tree. Wish i had some answers.

Malay Apples do take an extended time to fruit.  Its still a "baby" at 4 years.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
Mine took about 8 years to get its first flowers. Harry's took over 15 if I remember correctly. But on the other hand, I know someone near me that only took 3 years. All were seedling trees.

The trees can flower all throughout the year. I've seen different trees flowering or fruiting in FL all throughout the year. I think it may be possible for one tree to flower and fruit continuously throughout the year.

With all that being said, the bugs are horrible. From an entire tree you may only get a handful of good fruit because almost every fruit will be damaged and possibly full of worms.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
murahilin
"With all that being said, the bugs are horrible. From an entire tree you may only get a handful of good fruit because almost every fruit will be damaged and possibly full of worms."
You saved me some trouble and heartache. I was thinking of getting one.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
A few bugs won't hurt you, extra protein for a well balanced diet  ;)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
A few bugs won't hurt you, extra protein for a well balanced diet  ;)

Before I knew about fruit flies I happily chomped whole strawberry guava down, then I bit one and it grossed me out. Now I open them before I eat them.
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk