Author Topic: Ilama (Annona diversifolia)  (Read 38227 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Ilama (Annona diversifolia)
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 11:54:33 PM »

Roger is a very nice guy, I have bought several trees from him in the past few years.  He is a great resource for Southern California, his prices are always reasonable.
[/quote]

Here Here! I second that, Roger is great.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 11:23:08 PM »
I tasted one last year.  I would love to get a few of these trees. Here are some of my observations and comments.

Ilama (e lama) is the common name of this amazing fruit. The flavor is unique. I have tasted them several times and find them sweet with a rich complex flavor. This tree is for the more experienced grower.

You probably won't see many of these trees for one main reason. Even as great tasting as it is, the fruit has one major drawback. The fruit splits on the tree when ready to eat. To the average person this is an unsightly reason to stay away from the fruit. Well as far as I am concerned that just means more fruit for the more adventurous fruit lover.

Jason "Pepe" 8)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 11:32:08 PM by ggpalms »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »
FGM that is one arse-kicking fruit in the picture.Your description of the taste is at the very fringe of what seems possible for an annona. Do you know just how true to type illamas are when grown from seed?

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
From what I have heard it will grow a decent fruiting tree in about 4-5 years. If anyone has some scions avalable of a superior variety please post a notice.

Take care Mike T.

"Pepe"

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Thanks for the info pepe.That is  longer than a soursop or sugar apple would take.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »
Sugar apples are fast and so is Soursop you are right on. I had the best sugar apples on trees only 3 years of age from seedlings.
Soursops I always sell out of and the last one I sold was about three years old but no flowers.

The one person I know that could give you more specifics on the Ilama is Gary from Zill Plants In West Palm Beach.

All the best,

Jason "Pepe"

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
Does anyone in So. Cal has Genova Red? Wondering how it does in local climate and whether it can be grafted on to Cherimoya rootstock.  Would love to get some budwood.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
Hey Behl, if you find any, let me know.  I'm very interested in it and would love to find a plant or budwood. 
Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi Simon,

I am looking for budwood and will see if I can get some from somewhere, timing is just right here in So. Cal to graft. I would love to get it onto my mature Cherimoya tree that has other things that JF sent pushing.

Also, I got your buddy tape. PM me the imformation.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
Simon,

I found this nurcery by your house http://encantofarms.com/poirier.html
Ben & Mary Poirier
P.O.Box 222
Fallbrook, Ca 92088
(760) 751-1605

E-Mail benplant@tfb.com

I emailed them, lets see what they got.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
Per Roger Meyer,  Atemoya and Ilama are separate species, Genova Red is not Ilama, but an Atemoya.  Are we discussing Ilama OR Genova Red here?

Per Harry, He has Genova Red and he swears by it being one of the best. So, are we looking for Ilama OR Genova Red?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
Per Roger Meyer,  Atemoya and Ilama are separate species, Genova Red is not Ilama, but an Atemoya.  Are we discussing Ilama OR Genova Red here?

Per Harry, He has Genova Red and he swears by it being one of the best. So, are we looking for Ilama OR Genova Red?

With all due respect to Roger Meyer, if you are quoting him correctly, Genova Red is one of three cultivars of Ilama (annona diversifloia) that Zills distributed in the 90's.  The others being Pajapita and Guillermo.  Har can confrirm this as he was with Zills at that time and was involved in the production and distribution of them at that time.  Genova red is absolutely an Ilama and is absolutely not an atemoya.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:53 AM »
Thanks Harry, I will confirm with him, He is going to call me. Anyway, if you dont mind, can I get few scions of this Genova Red?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
Yep. Roger Meyer has been selling what he calls 'Genova Red', which is in fact an atemoya. I and at least one other person bought the 'Genova Red' expecting to get an ilama -- but instead got atemoya. Either there is also an atemoya named 'Genova Red' (in addition to the Ilama that Har brought back from Central America and named 'Genova Red'), or there is a misnaming issue. I think the latter is more probable.

With all due respect to Roger Meyer, if you are quoting him correctly, Genova Red is one of three cultivars of Ilama (annona diversifloia) that Zills distributed in the 90's.  The others being Pajapita and Guillermo.  Har can confrirm this as he was with Zills at that time and was involved in the production and distribution of them at that time.  Genova red is absolutely an Ilama and is absolutely not an atemoya.

Harry
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:47:26 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
Ilama can indeed be grafted to cherimoya. Harry has one that I grafted a couple of years back. Whether it increases cold tolerance is unknown.

Does anyone in So. Cal has Genova Red? Wondering how it does in local climate and whether it can be grafted on to Cherimoya rootstock.  Would love to get some budwood.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »
Ilama can indeed be grafted to cherimoya. Harry has one that I grafted a couple of years back. Whether it increases cold tolerance is unknown.

They do take to cherimoya. I had 2 take but what rootstock do you guys use in Florida to graft Ilamas?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
There's not much data as to what's the best rootstock to use here. The one thing we do know is that pond apple is not it :-). Ilama is graft compatible to a lot of different annonas. I'm thinking that either A. reticulata or A. cherimola may be the better bets though.

They do take to cherimoya. I had 2 take but what rootstock do you guys use in Florida to graft Ilamas?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
I think A. reticulata is more commonly used as the rootstock in Florida due to higher availability of seeds.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »

Harry

Hi Harry,

Got response from Roger
"The Ilama-Genova Red controversy came from a book called "Cornucopia II". The  author, Steve Facciola, misidentified Genova Red. It is actually an Atemoya (1/2 Cherimoya and 1/2 Sugar Apple.) I grafted the Genova Red plant so I know what it is"

Thoughts? I am trying to get Genova Red Ilama or budwood. Wondering my options here.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:03 AM »
Hi Harry,

Got response from Roger
"The Ilama-Genova Red controversy came from a book called "Cornucopia II". The  author, Steve Facciola, misidentified Genova Red. It is actually an Atemoya (1/2 Cherimoya and 1/2 Sugar Apple.) I grafted the Genova Red plant so I know what it is"

Thoughts? I am trying to get Genova Red Ilama or budwood. Wondering my options here.

Not sure what Cornucopia says, nor what Steve Facciola thinks, but what I know as Genova Red, from Zills is not cherimoya or sugar apple whatsoever.  It doesn't look like either, nevermind a half and half cross of the two.  I have to beg to differ with what Roger is saying.  I can send you budwood.  I have about 30 pending reuests for scions of various trees.  I try not to say no to anyone.  I'm a bit innundated at the moment but will try to get you some as soon as I can.

Harry
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 11:53:30 AM by murahilin »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:52 AM »
Harry,  Thanks. Yes, the fruit may not look like Ilama of yours and that is what I want. Yes, please keep me in mind in your scion distribution, would love to get few other things (sent you PM's), will pay expided shipping and other costs as you may see fit.

Thanks. BTW, do you want more buddy tape? got two rolls up for take.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
Roger's 'genova red' is unequivocally not ilama. I had one. The leaves and flowers of the former bear no resemblance whatsoever to the latter.

Harry,  Thanks. Yes, the fruit may not look like Ilama of yours and that is what I want. Yes, please keep me in mind in your scion distribution, would love to get few other things (sent you PM's), will pay expided shipping and other costs as you may see fit.

Thanks. BTW, do you want more buddy tape? got two rolls up for take.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 07:11:54 PM »
Hello Friends,

I just wanted to Concur with Jeff on the Roger Meyer "Genova Red".  It is DEFINITELY NOT an Ilama.  I purchased one from him about 2 years ago.  What he is selling, definitely looks to be an Atemoya and the fruit are Green. I will post some pictures of the "Genova Red" Atemoya I got from him.  Again, it is nothing like the pictures of the fruit in this thread, nor is it Red.

- Jacob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »

Not sure what Cornucopia says, nor what Steve Facciola thinks, but what I know as Genova Red, from Zills is not cherimoya or sugar apple whatsoever.  It doesn't look like either, nevermind a half and half cross of the two.  I have to beg to differ with what Roger is saying.  I can send you budwood.  I have about 30 pending reuests for scions of various trees.  I try not to say no to anyone.  I'm a bit innundated at the moment but will try to get you some as soon as I can.

Harry

Steve Facciola list Genova Red as an Ilama in his book Cornucopia, p. 12:
Genova Red: Large, smooth, pinkish-green fruit with deeply cracked skin; reddish pulp with a very pleasant, subacid flavor. Originated in Genova, Guatemala. introduced into Florida in 1988. MAHDEEM; N53M
Seems like the confusion is on the part of Roger Meyer, unless there is also an atemoya cultivar with the identical name?
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »
Now all I need is scion so we can clear the confusion, LOL.