Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620536 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1575 on: June 09, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
Hello everyone , i'm new to the forum and think that it is a great place to learn great stuff. Been a long time lurker and think its time to jump in  :) . I'm a student from the National academy of arts , 23 years old with a obsession for growing tropical fruit plants, and fruits in general. I have growing in pots passion fruits ( p.edulis, p.ligularis, p.edulis flav, p. alata ), cherimoya ,surinam cherry , carambola, dragon fruit ,2 types of guava , lychee, tamarillo, pomello , coffee, papaya, loguat and tamarind seedlings. I also have some temperate fruiting plants like peach ,almond, apricot, blueberries, gooseberries, red currants, pistachio, kiwi , pomegranate, several varieties of figs, apples and paw paw. I also do some summer veggies like tomatoes and peppers. Thanks for reading my intro and I am glad that this forum exists, I have learned a lot of things and hope to learn a lot more.  ;D

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: June 09, 2020, 07:42:39 PM »
Hello everyone , i'm new to the forum and think that it is a great place to learn great stuff. Been a long time lurker and think its time to jump in  :) . I'm a student from the National academy of arts , 23 years old with a obsession for growing tropical fruit plants, and fruits in general. I have growing in pots passion fruits ( p.edulis, p.ligularis, p.edulis flav, p. alata ), cherimoya ,surinam cherry , carambola, dragon fruit ,2 types of guava , lychee, tamarillo, pomello , coffee, papaya, loguat and tamarind seedlings. I also have some temperate fruiting plants like peach ,almond, apricot, blueberries, gooseberries, red currants, pistachio, kiwi , pomegranate, several varieties of figs, apples and paw paw. I also do some summer veggies like tomatoes and peppers. Thanks for reading my intro and I am glad that this forum exists, I have learned a lot of things and hope to learn a lot more.  ;D
Welcome.If you are bulgarian,then you are genetically atracted to this hobby.

cape coral Bob

• cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:37 AM »
Hi All ! My Name is Bob I am in zone 10a cape coral fl. I am fairly new to the tropical fruit world have grown up in the Boston area. So far I have planted Mango, avocado, papaya, and guanabana. I have had some failures and some successes.  Still learning and hungry to learn more..

FLfruit

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: June 12, 2020, 08:10:06 AM »
Hi guys,

New here and trying to figure out what forms and paperwork I need to fill out in order to possibly start selling my tropical fruits in South Florida. Never thought I'd be looking into the fruit selling business, but I have some great fruits on my family's property. :) Any information or help would be very much appreciated! Looking forward to learning a lot on this forum!

alejandro

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 12, 2020, 05:06:55 PM »
Hi every one, my name is Alejandro and one of my favorite hobbies is growing fruits of all kinds, it"s that joy you know....planting the seed and after a few years enjoying the delicious taste of the fruit you so much like....it"s awesome! .

I live in Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean and it's pretty hot most of the year with a RH above 50% most of the time. I joined this forum to seek advice in mainly diseases that affect tropical plants. I'm just a "hobby grower" with relative knowledge, what i can google, but i have been successful in growing several kinds of trees and harvest nice fruit from them.

I have different kinds of trees in large pots, guayabas, star fruit, date palms, pomegranate, avocados, dragon fruit, papaya etc but my favorite fruit trees are Syzygium samarangense - (Wax Jambu) and Syzygium malaccense - (Malay Apple and White Mountain Apple).

These trees gave plenty of very nice fruit but for a while now thy have contracted a disease i think because the fruit are rotting on the tree and they look awful. This why i need some that can tell me what to do. I use good ph balanced soil and they are not in full sun.

I am posting some piks in the hope of finding a cure. Thanks guys, i much appreciated!!!!

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
Re: Introduce Yourself ... I M P J, the Dirt Diva
« Reply #1580 on: June 13, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »
I am so happy that I found this forum !!  My name is P J. I am a NASA brat and I live in Nassau Bay Texas, right across the street from Mission Control NASA on the Gulf Coast. I am a relocation manager for ADT Security able to do business all over Texas and Florida, but thanks to covid, I am still hunkering down like it is a category 5 headed my way :-(

Besides gardening, I have 2 major passions: scuba diving and magic !!  When I started dating the man who is now my hubby in 2001, he said "let's grow things that will feed us" so the next day I went out and bought 2 lime trees. We now have an edible landscape on 1/3 acre with the following:

Our newest acquisitions are:
2 Australian Finger Limes,  Everbearing Mulberry, and a Pitomba -Eugenia Luschnathiana joining our other 35 trees, bushes and veggies

Citrus: 2 grapefruit 1 pink 1 yellow
thornless key lime
tangelo
clementine
asian lemon
variegated pink lemon

pink satin pomegranate
3 dwarf pomegranates
fuyu persimmon
medjool date palm
strawberry tree  Muntingia calabura
Lychee Hak Ip
Lychee Sweetheart
2 carambola 1 Sri Kembangan other unknown
Papaya  volunteer from the compost  LOL
Grumichama
purple fig 
4 Moringa trees
Mexicola Avocado
Miracle Fruit
2 dwarf Barbados Cherries
2 Banana Trees
Jacoticaba unkown variety, probably Sabara

6 thornless blackberries, 2 varieties
thornless raspberry
9 blueberries (5 varieties)
2 passion fruit 1 purple passion and 1 red
roselle hibiscus
false roselle hibiscus

Most of our veggies are unusual perennials like Yacon, salsify, chayote squash (merliton), cucuzza squash, katuk, egyptian -red malabar- okinawa and longevity spinach, and asparagus.
Of course I also grow some totally normal veggies like tomatoes, peppers cucumbers and beans.

I have probably forgotten at least 1 thanks to Sometimers Disease, but am sure you will forgive the oversight  LMFAO !!!

Occasionally, I will do a garden tour and upload it to my youtube channel. It has evolved thru the years and you might enjoy taking a peek
www.youtube.com/user/divingtemptress

I am very happy to be here and look forward to many insights and advice from the group.

Happy Gardening,
P J the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

figbert

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:10 PM »
Hi Folks!
I started growing fruit trees just a few years ago. I'm in San Diego, zone 10a with:
Three Avocado trees (just harvested my very first this past week - a 20 oz Reed!),
A few stone fruit trees,
and almost enough fig trees (hence the handle).
Future plans: Feijoa or mango!

I've been on the Ourfigs forum since last year, but have only lurked on the tropical fruit forum until now.

I started grafting this year, and plan to complicate the lives of more of my trees in the future.
I joined CRFG in time to make it to the most recent San Diego scion exchange earlier this year, hopefully I'll get to meet more members in the future when life is a bit more normal.

I have a bunch of avocado questions, but I'll put them on a different thread.

Cheers,

Mike

brownkawa

• NW New Mexico, USA USDA Zone 6a
    • View Profile
    • BrownKawa Farmstead
« Reply #1582 on: June 14, 2020, 04:03:41 AM »
Hi Folks,

I am a new farmsteader in NW New Mexico (since July 2019 when my husband & I retired & relocated from Wisconsin). 

We haven't built a house yet, but we did build a greenhouse, and although it's not really finished yet, it's been up and running for a couple of months now.  It's a "Greenhouse In the Snow" passive solar geothermal greenhouse, so should stay between 50 and 100 degrees year round. https://greenhouseinthesnow.com/  We are eager to grow subtropical and long-season food in addition to growing traditional temperate foods outdoors on our high-desert mesa.

On the greenhouse floor we have 14 trees (citrus, avocado, fig, banana) and a dragonfruit. In the raised beds, in addition to temperate vegetables, we have Kiwano melons and chayote.  We've both lived in tropical areas before (me in Australia and Costa Rica; my husband in Somalia), and we've both raised our own food before in temperate regions, but this is our first experience raising tropical foods.

We have a lot to learn!  We've been blogging our stumbles, struggles, and successes at https://www.brownkawa.com/

I look forward to learning from you all, and sharing thoughts.

Be well!

Kimi Ishikawa
BrownKawa Farmstead
https://www.brownkawa.com/

Jackoldman

• USA Florida, Okeechobeeyh
    • View Profile
Re: IJack old manntroduce Yourself
« Reply #1583 on: June 22, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
 Hi, I am new to this forum, I have 4 mango trees, One of them I planted one about 8 years ago, it was frozen back to the roots that year I planted and than it started to grow, I left it alone as I had put a dog pen near it and it worked out as a good shade for the pen. It did not make any mangos until last year when it made about 4, they were real stringy, this year it has (I'm guessing around 250) mangos on it . They are small green ones and I found out they are Turpentine, I'm guessing that was the root stock that came up after it got frozen years ago. I found one that had turn yellow and fell off the tree and I mashed it and than cut off the bottom and sucked the juice out and it tasted sweet. I would like to know more about it as could these be used as a seed stock or not. Looks as if I'm going to be drinking a lot of mango juice lol. I plant the other 3 tress 2 years age from seed from another tree my friends got. two has a few mangos last year and one had about 7 this year which I've eaten and they were real good. I have 5 more seed from my friends tree and I may plant them. If any one out there know any one that can use the seed , they are welcome to come to Okeechobee, Fl. and get all they want.

nepatriot

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: June 25, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »
Hello everyone, I am a Techie working in NY. I feel lucky to stumble upon this forum and to find so much information sharing about tropical fruits. My roots are in southern India. Hoping to share information I know about mangoes and hoping to get information to grow them successfully here in the US.

Oakhurst Park

• Central Florida 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: June 25, 2020, 03:41:46 PM »
Hello Everyone,

We've been lurking on this forum for a little over a year. We're animal people. We liked plants. Had houseplants that we constantly replaced because our cats love murdering them. But never really considered the idea being gardeners, let alone a VERY SERIOUS gardeners. Then we moved to Florida...

Needless to say, we're in the process of turning our 3 acre property into a fruit park / bio-intense food forest for people and animals. In about 18 months we've gone from having a few houseplants to putting almost 150 fruiting trees/bushes/plants in the ground. We're eating some amazing fruits and waiting patiently for many others to mature so we can try them. We're zone pushing and trying to create micro-climates to grow frost tender plants. So far we've been successful but we've only been through one relatively mild winter. 

We're interested in growing rare trees if we can find them and hopefully selling/trading fruit, trees, & seeds in the future.

We're still animal people, for sure. But plants have become a huge part of our lives. And honestly, they should be. We couldn't live without them!

Looking forward to learning, sharing, and growing!

Best,

K.C.

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: June 29, 2020, 04:12:37 AM »
Greeting to everyone from Riverside, California!
My nickname is IB and since I grew up on the equator, edible tropical fruits and vegetable are my passion. Being a gardener for over 20 years, my garden collections have sideline from tropical fruits to tropical vegetables as well. Aside from gardening, my hobbies include cooking and travelling (temporary halted due to Covid 19). Here is a list of what trees/plants that I have growing:

Fruit trees:
Longan
Passion fruits (2 varieties)
Mango (2 varieties)
Strawberry
Strawberry papaya
Suebella Sapote
Dwarf Banana
Nectaplum
Saturn Donut Peach
Apricot
Jujube (Li and 1 unknown species)
Rose Apple (Green, Semarang)
Guavas (Strawberry, Lemon and Thai -white)
Cherimoya
Persimmon (Fuyu and Haciya)
Apple (Red Era)

Citrus Collection(I live in a citrus county-LOL):
Tangerine ( 2 varieties)
Cocktail Grapefruit (orange color flesh)
Thornless Mexican lime
Keiffer Lime
Nasnaran (Limau) lime
Yuzu
Nagami Kumquat

Ginger collection:
Butterfly ginger
Galangal
Tumeric (curcuma longa)
Sand ginger (kencur/peacock ginger)

Vegetable collections:
Corn
Eggplants (7 varieties)
Peppers (At least 40+ varieties - sweet and hot)
Beans (15+ varieties)
Squash (6+ varieties)
Tomatoes (15+ varieties)
Cucumber (5 varieties)
Basil (4 varieties)

Roots plants:
Yucca
Yam (red and white)
Potato
Poi
Jicama
Garlic
Onion
Shallot

Herbs:
lemon grass
Laurel bay
Garlic chieves
Giant garlic
Perilla
Pandanus Amaryllifolius
Inedible trees/Plants:
Rose
Palms (queen, pigmy, fan, bottle, sago)
Giant bird of paradise.

Most of my collections are for cooking and food. In fact, my first gardening experience started with a bag of left over potatoes. I left them too long and they started to have buds.Thus, I throw them in my backyard soil and 3 months later I got 4x more potatoes that can lasted more than 2 months left in kitchen. Ever since then, I love using the soil as storage for food. Over the years, I wanted more colors in my yards, yet stick to edibles  and I achieve my goals by introducing a variety blend of plants. For example, my bell pepper collection (orange,black, lilac, chocolate, yellow, red, green, ivory), french bean ( dragon tongue, blue lake, Trionfo Violetto, scarlet emperor, gold rush, cheerokee wax, royal burgundy). The beans not only have different colors but the flowers are different colors too, very pleasing to the eyes. This way, I never envy a flower garden anymore. If you google the flower of red era apple, the peach blossom, and the necta-plum blossoms, they are as beautiful as cherry blossoms. I used to have a green gage plum to contrast the peach blossoms but since the tree was no longer productive due to its age, I replace it with other tree. I believe life should be beautiful as well as productive. Bye for now and Cheers!

Istanabungur

• Riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: June 29, 2020, 04:25:13 AM »
Check the stems of your rose apple - see if there is any nicks or barks shredding in some area. 

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 05, 2020, 11:17:30 PM »
Hello,

I’ve been reading interesting topics on this forum for a little while and decided to join in. You can learn so much from other people’s experiences on growing edibles.
I mainly have an interest in mango trees but also have carambola, soursop, kefir lime, moringa, and herbs for cooking. I also have an interest in Florida Native trees and have a lot of different species growing in my yard.

Bruce

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Greetings all,

I only recently discovered this forum, and am quite glad that I did. What a wealth of information, experiences, and expertise! I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

I'm in my late 30s and live in Mato Grosso, Brazil, at the southern fringe of the Amazon basin with my wife and our two boys. I have a longtime passion for the natural world, but only recently started to grow a few plants after we purchased a plot of land outside our town and started to plant some fruit trees and native shade species. We'll be moving onto the property hopefully by the end of this year, and we've accelerated the process of planting more trees and a few edible crops while we build our house. To date we have planted mangoes (three varieties), cashews, pitanga, Barbados cherry, uvaia, pequi (Caryocar brasiliense, Spondias dulcis -- not sure what this is called in English?, mammee apple, ciriguela, atemoya, soursop, açaí, a couple of different inga species, guava, calabura, and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting at the moment.

We also have a couple of grumixamas and a few bacupari (Garcinia gardneriana) waiting for the rainy season to be planted in the ground. Also seedlings of sugar apple, soursop, and açai either to plant or donate locally.

Climate-wise, we have well-demarcated wet (Nov to mid-April) and dry seasons (June to September). High daytime temperatures (high 30s C) and low relative humidity (20-40%) during the dry season.

As I said above, I look forward to learning a lot here!

Cheers

Kiwano

• BEDFORDVIEW JOHANNESBURG
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:29 PM »
Hi everybody, I am a newbie here. I stay in South Africa which you can imagine has regions ideal for tropical fruit, of course not as tropical as further up north in Africa. On the other hand, it is one of the few African countries with regions that do get snow regularly in the winter. I am however, not staying in a part which gets snow. Thank you for this forum, I am just crazy about fruit and is now into exotic tropical fruit. My fist Dragon Fruit trees are in the ground and I have ordered tropical fruit seeds from anywhere I can get.

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 16, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
hi everyone, my name is Austin, i live in Miami Florida, recently stumbled across this forum a few days ago and decided to become a member. i currently am growing tomatoes, jalapenos, watermelons, cantaloupes, carrots, green onion, garlic, broccoli, celery, and pineapples. just recently bought a lime tree, tangerine tree and a grafted valencia pride mango which i was told could be "easily kept in a pot" HA.... what a joke, well im stuck with it now, but i plan on adding a few more dwarf mangos to my collection. ive been looking at pickering, carrie, and cogshall..... who knows, i might just buy all of them.

quesofreshcoh

• Sanford FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 17, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm Gabriel and I am a Civil Engineering Student with an unhealthy passion for plants as well. I have several tropical/subtropical fruit trees in the yard and I love to discover (and collect) new plants every day!
-Gabe

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 30, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
Hi. My name is Mike. Really loving this website. I have dabbled in subtropical and tropical fruits for 30 years while working as a physician. As part of my transition to retirement,(not quite there yet) I moved to a property in San Diego county and have started a new orchard. So far have the following in the ground, all planted since last October:

Cherimoya--about 10 varieties.
Atemoya 2 varieties.
Ilama 2 varieties.
Pecan 2 varieties.
Almond 2 varieties.
Apples about 6 varieties.
Approximately 20 stonefruit including apricots, peaches, plums nectarines, pluots.
2 Jujubes.
6 Avocado varieties.
2 pomegranits.
6 fig trees.
Macademia.
1 chestnut.
Canistel.
Ceylon gooseberry.
4 different Mulberries.
Sabara and Paulista Jaboticaba.
Hap ip and Kaimana lychee.
1 finger lime.
1 each washinton navel orange, Persian sweet lemon, Valencia orange, Minneola tangelo, and clementine tangerine.
2 sapodilla,
Purple passiaon fruit.
3 varieties of pink and red dragonfruit.
2 papaya varieties.

I am sure I missed a few. Also have a large vegetable garden. Want to put in a nice size greenhouse for seedlings and ultratropicals within the year. I am really enjoying my transition and look forward to learning a lot from forum members. Life is much easier when you can learn from other peoples experiences.

Stpetedan@gmail.com

• Usa, FL, Tampa, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 08, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
Hello Everybody
I'm Dan based out of Tampa Florida. The zone I'm is 9b.  A computer engineer took up gardening during lockdown so I'm total newbie and joined this forum to learn from the experts.
I have couple of mango, banana,  guava , papaya, sugar apple and lemon trees.
Very excited to join this community and looking forward to all the interactions

HelenaLuchinger2000

• Augsburg
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: August 15, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Since this is a new forum I think we should have an introductory post for old and new members alike.

Hi, I am Helena and I love tropical fruits. I am happy to be here.

Man goes

• WEST PALM BEACH, 33415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 30, 2020, 07:51:30 PM »
Good Evening,
Mango fanatic here from south Florida

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 31, 2020, 03:15:46 AM »
I thought I had better re-introduce myself as I am back here as MikeT after having Mike T as my identity on here before. I am in Cairns, Australia and had had a long interest in tropical fruits and have mostly worked in environmental fields. It is great to see the forum expanding with new and exciting people and great to see the seasoned campaigners still getting around.
Cheers
MikeT

arthurpete

• gulf coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 01, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Greetings,

Gulf coast resident here. I got carried away this summer and planted a ton of seeds with no experience...Several Guavas, Surinam Cherry, Carob, Gooseberries, Pitaya, Lychee - lol and a bunch of others that probably wont amount to much but its fun and maybe ill get lucky and learn a thing or two.

Im going to focus more on native stuff that grows well here...passionflower, persimmon, paw paw, muscadines etc. Looking forward to digging into some posts here.

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 04, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
Greetings everyone been here a little bit just wondering why is it sometimes my personal messages seem not to work?
This is the second time this has happened. :(