Author Topic: "Thai Lessard" A. squamosa.  (Read 3095 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
"Thai Lessard" A. squamosa.
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »
2 years ago I got a smallish one from Top Tropicals, have kept it in a pot ever since, right now it's in a 5--gallon rootpruner. I've gotten 1 fruit/year  ;D, I removed all flowers except for one. I also never had to hand pollinate. Love the taste, and would like to plant out some of the seeds. How long do you think it'll take for it to fruit?
Thanks,
Trung

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: "Thai Lessard" A. squamosa.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
    Hi Trung

I would guess that the amount of time for your seedling thai lessard sugar apple trees to fruit would be atleast a couple of years . You also have to factor in the type of care that you're giving them along with the environmental conditions that they are growing in . There's no way to know for sure how long they will take to fruit. I have read different posts where on average it takes 2-3 years. Sugar apples do very good in pots . I have a few seedling sugar apple trees myself in pots and because of our hot summer sun I grew them under shade cloth , they did great under it .

William

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
2 years ago I got a smallish one from Top Tropicals, have kept it in a pot ever since, right now it's in a 5--gallon rootpruner. I've gotten 1 fruit/year  ;D, I removed all flowers except for one. I also never had to hand pollinate. Love the taste, and would like to plant out some of the seeds. How long do you think it'll take for it to fruit?
Thanks,
Trung

In two years they'll try to fruit, a. squasoma are very slow growers compare to other anonas here in Socal. I would wait 3-4 years to let them fruit in a pot.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Thanks, 3-4 years is acceptable to me.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 04:50:37 PM »
Pure A.squamosa in a tropical climate can set fruit within 2 years from being a seed as I see with my big eyes variety.Three or four years might be more usual. The vagaries of growing in a pot or outside a tropical environment can come into play. Lessard looks to me to be half way between sugar apple and atemoya and growing seedlings to fruiting is a different and perhaps more challenging prospect if it is a hybrid.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
Pure A.squamosa in a tropical climate can set fruit within 2 years from being a seed as I see with my big eyes variety.Three or four years might be more usual. The vagaries of growing in a pot or outside a tropical environment can come into play. Lessard looks to me to be half way between sugar apple and atemoya and growing seedlings to fruiting is a different and perhaps more challenging prospect if it is a hybrid.

Two years from seed for this Big eye Annona.
Life is good

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
I believe Lessard Thai is simply Sugar-Apple.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk