Author Topic: Grafting Button Mangosteen, Cherapu, Garcinia prainiana  (Read 1381 times)

Jamesdeangelo

• United States IL
    • View Profile
Grafting Button Mangosteen, Cherapu, Garcinia prainiana
« on: April 07, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »
Has anyone on here had any success grafting Button Mangosteen? I had the fruit and it is delicious but since it is dioecious and super slow grower, seems kind of stupid to grow from seed if I have the option to graft

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Grafting Button Mangosteen, Cherapu, Garcinia prainiana
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:55:18 PM »
We graft it on its same root stock.  The seedling is very slow in a pot, maybe taking 2-3 years to attain a size suitable for grafting.  Best to plant it out early, then graft onto the planted seedling.  That’s worked well for me with a cleft graft.
I’ve been collaborating with Gary Zill on this and it’s been both of our experiences that cherapu benefits from some shade.  The fruit comes pretty much true to seed and you can top work males. 
I’ve planted out cherapu that was grafted in the pot and it hasn’t been any faster to produce than the seedlings.
Peter

Jamesdeangelo

• United States IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, sounds like a good method, do the trees like shade even at full maturity?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »
My largest trees have been in production for about 3-4 years and are at least 15 ft. tall.  The ones in the shade look and do better.  We’re talking light shade.  Gary, especially, has the same experience since his farm has a harsher dry season than ours.
Peter

guaycuyacu

• ecuador
    • View Profile
    • guaycuyacu seeds
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
i grafted an adult male at 4 feet height, with lateral branch scions.   years later, the plant has grown only horizontally, still 4-5 feet tall, not very productive.