Author Topic: New house - neglected citrus trees (pics)  (Read 15729 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: New house - neglected citrus trees (pics)
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »
Dr Campbell for a while was recommending no mulch to keep nitrogen down

Hmm.. then why not mulch with a low-nitrogen organic mulch or even inorganic materials like gravel to keep competition down?

I remember reading a good while back about concern from park rangers that all of the road/path development for tourists was going to kill the big old sequoias.  In particular, one of the biggest trees was nearly surrounded by a gravel road.  Turns out, after investigating the issue, they actually helped the sequoias by stifling competition for water and protecting the roots.  ;)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

2manytoyz

• Merritt Island, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
I'm still a newbie at this, but take at look at the trees that have mulch, versus those without.  Those with mulch look much greener, with new growth.  The ones with grass all look bad.  I'lll take a close up pic of some of the leaves later. 

The soil is likely the same throughout the yard.  They all receive the same amount of watering.

The ones with mulch already will have the mulch pulled back from the tree to let it breathe.  The ones that have grass will have the grass pulled up by hand (not that big of deal, avoids any chemical or burning from plastic issues), and I'll use the same red mulch use in other areas of our landscaping.  It's marked as being safe - no toxic dyes.

Went by Rockledge Gardens last night to buy more mango fruit (maybe out in a week), and to confirm our order of two mango trees.  While there, we bought a variegated pink lemon tree that my wife has always wanted.  The Glenn & Zill mango trees should arrive later today.  Saturday I'll make a trip to Home Depot to pick up more mulch, fertilizer, etc.

In the meantime, I did a dance in the yard when I spotted a mud snake (harmless):

Part of the fun of living on a tropical island!
Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

2manytoyz

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:27 PM »
A couple more pics from tonight.

Close-up pics of the navel orange.  Look like leaf miners to me.

Close-up of the grapefruit:

Off to Home Depot tomorrow.  Time to get these trees healthy!
Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
The young fruits were discolored by mites.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »
The young fruits were discolored by mites.
yep...there was a post from a week or two ago with the same damage on a grapefruit tree.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2135.msg30233#msg30233
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:51 PM »
Jeff hit it right on.

Gene Joyner, Urban Horticulturist, heavily mulched under his citrus trees (and also beyond the drip-line), a foot or more deep, for decades.   He was careful to maintain several inches of airspace around the trunks.

Didn't Bill Whitman also use tremendous amounts of mulch around all his trees? I also think most,underline  most ,types of mulch are not going to keep air from passing through. Almost all mulches are permeable. So if water can go through, then so can air. Plastics and such may be the exception. Although i've used ground cloth around trees also with no problem.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 11:44:08 PM »
You live in Merritt Island. Rip the citrus out, buy any citrus fruit that you want from the grocery store, and plant some good stuff in it's place (Mangoes, Lychees, Jackfruit, Avocado's.....). The citrus will more than likely all die from disease eventually anyway.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »
I have to agree with Jsvand on this one; Merritt Island is perfect for growing lychees, mangos and longans. I would take the citrus out too...
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

2manytoyz

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:07 AM »
At my first house on Merritt Island, I bought a 1962 home with a dozen grapefruit trees.  Ironic since I don't like grapefruit.  But I did sell plenty of fruit.  The trees were 35-40 years old before finally dying off. 

This week I purchased a Zill mango, and already planted it.  I have a Glenn mango and a variegated pink lemon tree that'll be planted in the next day or two.  I'm making sure I have enough foot print for all the fruit trees presently growing.  I hate pulling up an existing tree, unless it's dying.  I like the other citrus, just not a fan of grapefruit.  If a tree has to go, the marsh grapefruit is first on the list.

I have an Oak tree in the middle of my backyard that will be taken out.  The base is maybe 10" in diameter.  As it gets bigger, it'll threaten the pool enclosure.  I have 3 FULL sized Ficus trees near the creek on the middle of our lot providing plenty of shade in the back of the yard, so the Oak isn't needed.

First pic is near the creek, looking towards the house:

Second pic is closer to the landscaping island put in by the previous owner.  It's slowly falling apart, so it'll be removed, along with the tree.  That should free up plenty of space in the backyard for USEFUL trees.

Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »
Very beautiful place you've got, Robert.  And you're right, way too much green, needs more USEFUL trees  ;D
Tim

2manytoyz

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
Thanks Tim.  It's coming together slowly.

I planted the baby Zill mango between rain showers the other night.

I'll clean up the edges of the border when the weather cooporates, and I get some time.  Busy trying to save the older ones right now.
Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »
And so it begins! Have fun. It's always nice when your yard is a blank slate and you get to start planting.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »
You must check out Tropical Island Nursery ! they have awesome Mango Trees !.
John Realino very nice guy !..

Ed..
Zone 10

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 06:00:58 PM »
I'm still a newbie at this, but take at look at the trees that have mulch, versus those without.

Not all "mulch" is the same.  Coarse or fine? Synthetic or natural?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:04:23 PM by ricshaw »