Author Topic: New Fruit Similar to Starapple  (Read 38296 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: New Fruit Similar to Starapple
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »
Fruitlovers I am pretty sure there is only starapples here and no congenors with good fruit although I have only had fruitof the copper one.There must be a good deal of phenotypic plasticity and well as a broad genetic base.The giant purple partial seedless one at the kamerunga resaerch station was brought over by horticultural scientists in the 70's.It was much like a very large flattened haitian with only the occasional seen.I don't know its source or if any prgeny survives.

OK. I thought you said in a previous post that you had starpple like fruits that have leaves with no copper colored underside?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 05:11:03 AM »
Fruitlovers you are getting me and BMc mixed up he is about 1100 miles down the road from me in the subtropics.I am the one who said I would not have a name for those without any bronzy colour under the leaves because I don't know that fruit.I also said there is some variation in the depth of this bronzy colour on the underside of the leaves.By here I really mean 15 to 19 latitude on the east coast.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »
Fruitlovers you are getting me and BMc mixed up he is about 1100 miles down the road from me in the subtropics.I am the one who said I would not have a name for those without any bronzy colour under the leaves because I don't know that fruit.I also said there is some variation in the depth of this bronzy colour on the underside of the leaves.By here I really mean 15 to 19 latitude on the east coast.

OK Mike thanks for pointing out my confusion. BMc do you have any photos of the pink starapple like fruit with no bronze underside on leaves that you have there?
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »

1100 miles? i thought it was a mere 1000 kms?  ;D
I'll try to take some pictures this weekend. I only have seedlings, a few feet tall.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 06:50:33 AM »
A feather over 1800km between Our places of residence.Queensland is a big state and it is only another 900km or so from Cairns to the northernmost part of the state.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »
Ah, so it is.  :-[ I get mixed up in my head. Sydney is 1000k south, Mackay is 1000k north. Thats generally as far as I drive and I always have 1000km stuck in my head. Flying makes it feel much closer!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 07:03:41 AM »
I just googled it, road distance from Brisbane to Cairns is 1700 kms. Still a pretty long way! Claimed to be a 4 day drive?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:26 AM »
Last time I drove it, it was over 1800km but as the crow flies may be less.When I was 18 and the road was more windy and longer a friend and I did it in less than a day.It is not possible any more.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:53 AM »
here is a pic of the pink starapple

its not as healthy as it should be as it has been in a pot for too long and has just gone into ground and then gets hit with a few days of 100kph wind gusts. Fruits are small, light pink and green, few seeds and taste like condensed milk crossed with normal star apple. They have a bit of latex, though not so much you'd complain because the flavour makes it worthwhile.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:20 AM »
BMc is that the same as what Peter S has that are supposed to be from the phillipines?He brought some fruit to me a year ago and they were really good and quite unlike other starapples.

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
Hey Oscar let me know when you have these available again
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
so what exactly is the stink parapple?

is there a botanical name or varietal name?

I wonder if it's more cold tolerant than the common ones?

Edit: Chrysophyllum auratum is the name on Oscar's initial post, is there another one?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:09:12 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:58 PM »
so what exactly is the stink parapple?

is there a botanical name or varietal name?

I wonder if it's more cold tolerant than the common ones?

Edit: Chrysophyllum auratum is the name on Oscar's initial post, is there another one?

Hi Adam, there's a whole ton of species in Chrysophyllum genus. Obviously they are not starapples, but because they look and taste very similar to starapple that is what they are all getting called. You can see latest photo is not C. cainitio because it doesn't have bronze underside on leaves that all cainitos have.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
pulp looks more firm? am I mistaken?

thanks for the good info per usual Oscar.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
Looking at Oscar's initial pix it is the same type I have seen here before.It was called the sink tarpapple here as well or was that the rink aspapple.It looks pretty close to the real starapple considering all the variation in that species.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
Trees I have seen and heard of have been much smaller than normal star apples. Is this your experience too Oscar?
A grower here has one at the back of his house that looks like a regular small sized tree, whereas his Haitian out the front yard is a monster.
Flesh is kind of 'milky' from memory. Maybe a bit firmer than some almost jelly like starapples, but not by that much.
I'm sure its the same as Peter S's trees. He has the full set and is incahoots with others that have it.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »
here is a pic of the pink starapple

its not as healthy as it should be as it has been in a pot for too long and has just gone into ground and then gets hit with a few days of 100kph wind gusts. Fruits are small, light pink and green, few seeds and taste like condensed milk crossed with normal star apple. They have a bit of latex, though not so much you'd complain because the flavour makes it worthwhile.

Your description makes it sound much better than the regular star apple. Is your tree grafted or a seedling?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
Trees I have seen and heard of have been much smaller than normal star apples. Is this your experience too Oscar?
A grower here has one at the back of his house that looks like a regular small sized tree, whereas his Haitian out the front yard is a monster.
Flesh is kind of 'milky' from memory. Maybe a bit firmer than some almost jelly like starapples, but not by that much.
I'm sure its the same as Peter S's trees. He has the full set and is incahoots with others that have it.

Not sure if the tree will be smaller when full grown. But it does seem a lot slower growing than regular starapple. On the plus side the pink fruited one is flowering and fruiting almost all year long, whereas regular starapple here has a distinct season (spring). The fruit of the pink is smaller but sweeter, and the fruits usually only have one seed inside each fruit. The most unusual thing about this species is that the tree gives off a strong smell, kind of skunky, every time you get anywhere close to it.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
what about the stopper car-apple?

anyone have details about that one?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 01:51:12 AM »
I have a few seeds of this fruit available now for sale. The tree produced well this year. You can look at the beginning of this thread for a photo and description. The seeds are 5 for $7.50 plus $2.50 shipping anywhere in USA. If you're outside USA please inquire.  Note that i don't have these listed on my website as i only have a very few. So if you want them email me and i'll set up payment for you. Thanks,
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:55:41 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
Does the fruit have any latex?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »
Does the fruit have any latex?

I think all the pouteria genus has latex. If you eat them ripe the amount of latex is not noticeable.
Oscar

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »
Very sweet and just one seed, amazing, never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for the great pics. and info. Good job Oscar.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 05:18:59 AM »
Even the seeds of this species look different than starapple if you look closely. The shape is different and size a bit bigger. C. auratum is on left and C. cainito (starapple) is on right:

BTW i mailed all the seeds requested by everyone, except for Mark, today. Mark's seeds will go out on Tuesday.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 05:32:46 AM »

Oscar you have me curious about some of the odd 'starapples' I have seen around. The one in this picture had a little color beneath the leaves and the fruit had 2 or 3 seeds from memory.