Author Topic: Get Your Fruits!  (Read 9369 times)

FarmTropical

• Farm Tropical - Buy Fresh Tropical Fruits
    • View Profile
    • Farm Tropical
Get Your Fruits!
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Hello my fellow tropical fruit lovers!

Farm Tropical is now open for business. :D We source the best tropical fruits from South Florida and ship them priority air throughout the US. We are trying to reach out and spread the love for Tropical Fruits which are irresistibly delicious.

We offer different tropical fruit boxes, tropical fruit clubs, and wholesale. Also have a look at our gourmet tropical fruit recipes on every fruit page.

As we are trying to make the site better everyday, I ask from you any feedback that you can give to improve the experience.

Have a look for yourself.

http://www.farmtropical.com

For our opening month, we have a special coupon going around for 10% off.

Coupon Code: TROPICAL

Many Thanks & Love!

Chris
Farm Tropical

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
Re: Get Your Fruits!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:58:26 PM »
The site looks great and the fruit delicious.  Can anybody on the forum help Chris out with some local trusted reviews?

-Carraig

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »
Are all of the fruits grown in the US?

Why do you alternate between Spanish and English names for the fruit on the main page? I think Sugar Apple is the more common name in the US than anon. Also, you could probably include the English name 'Spanish Lime' for the mamoncillo somewhere in the description to help people searching google for a place to buy the fruit.

Also, do you think including the scientific name somewhere in the description (not the main page) would help people find your fruit for sale through google?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
Something looks off with your white sapote picture...

Also, you may cause some confusion by labeling your pink fleshed guavas "Strawberry Guavas" because some may think its the red skinned Psidium cattleianum.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:43:03 PM by murahilin »

FarmTropical

• View Profile
    • Farm Tropical
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Hey Murahilin,

This is all excellent feedback. Thank you. Yes, all fruits are grown in South Florida. As the season progresses we will be adding lots of more pictures and information about the tropical fruits. Some pages do include the scientific names, now that you've mentioned it, we'll go through and add the rest - check back by the end of today :)

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
This is good resource. But how would I know what varities mangoes I am getting? The reason I ask as that its well worth spending $49 for box of mango if its not available in markets like Nam Doc Mai, Maha Chanok, Alphonso, Mallika, etc. but if its hayden, Keitt, Kent, Glen, Altufo, these are available in local markets.

Is there a way to know what type of mangoes are included?

FarmTropical

• View Profile
    • Farm Tropical
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
This is good resource. But how would I know what varities mangoes I am getting? The reason I ask as that its well worth spending $49 for box of mango if its not available in markets like Nam Doc Mai, Maha Chanok, Alphonso, Mallika, etc. but if its hayden, Keitt, Kent, Glen, Altufo, these are available in local markets.

Is there a way to know what type of mangoes are included?

Hi behlgarden,

I assume you are talking about the mango club?

If so, yes, each box will have a variety of mangos all labeled according to their variety. Each month we hand select the "hard to find" varieties and list what is available on the club page for that month. If you'd like a specific variety, please send us a email or simply live chat and we can arrange a custom order. Currently, the varieties aren't up but we will be adding this months varieties shortly.

Good point - we'd hate to send out a box of mangos which can be picked up at your local market.

Cheers!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Thanks for quick reply. I will send you PM.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
pic of casimiroa edulis is pouteria caimito
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FarmTropical

• View Profile
    • Farm Tropical
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
pic of casimiroa edulis is pouteria caimito

THANK YOU! We must have gotten our lines crossed when uploading the photos to the page. This was also noted by murahilin. We will be adding the correct photo shortly. Truly appreciate it.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
One more thing Chris...where's your contact info? especially a phone number...

I don't like to give money to people I can't call and hound.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:01:18 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FarmTropical

• View Profile
    • Farm Tropical
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
One more thing Chris...where's your contact info? especially a phone number...

I don't like to give money to people I can call and hound.  ;)

8) Our phone number and email is on our FAQ page. We prefer to speak through live chat and email which is why we provide those options first. We have found that it improves the communication process with our customers  ;)

Now that you mention it, we will be adding our contact info at the bottom of our site. Thanks.

carraig

• View Profile
    • Amber's Edibles
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 03:27:58 AM »
Good Morning,

Just want to let everybody know that after a small hiccup and some phenomenal customer service, my wife was thrilled to receive a box of genips.  The company proved very communicative, receptive to feedback, and my 2 1/2 year old son was literally crying each time we put the bag of genips away because he enjoyed them so much.

Regards,
Carraig

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
Greetings,
I ordered a box of sugar apples and was promised that they would be able to deliver purple and green SA. Also, after a "small" hiccup due to availability issues, the order got shipped yesterday only, 08/14, three weeks late because the Big sugar apples were not ready (in the grove). I was Ok with that since I don't want the Small sugar apples anyway.

So now, I'm expecting the delivery here in LA tomorrow Thursday 08/16 latest as indicated.

Will post result with pix.
Thera

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
As expected, I got the box around 10 AM today. It was a bit crushed, so I knew immediately that it wasn't going to be good. About half of the fruits were smashed and probably by the handling during shipping and by the fact that they were too ripe. The survivors are looking great but clearly were picked too early. One more week would be good. Ripen them now would result in very thin flesh around the seeds.

The size of the fruits which was the subject of the delay was also an issue. They are not "big" as planned. I don't expect Noel's sugar apples but the reason the whole order was delayed because the "big" sugar apples were not ready isn't valid anymore.

I contacted customer service, excellent people, BTW, and while agreeing that they could do better, they proposed to send a compilmentary replacement box of sugar apples once these are big enough and that they would do a better job at shipping the box next time.

We'll see. I do want this company to succeed as they are among the first if not the first to dare ship fragile exotic fruits and not just anywhere but to over-protective California.

Here are the pix:

Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 02:39:51 AM »
Hi Thera, looks to me like the sugar apples were not appropriately packed. The styrofoam socks were good, but those flat rate boxes by themselves are not strong enough to keep the gorillas that handle them at the postal service from crushing them. A box within a box is the answer for such fragile cargo.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:41:42 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:14 AM »
I agree with you there, Oscar. And I already suggested to them along this same line.
Thera

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »
I too hope this operation can keep shipping exotic tropical fruits to CA.

On the issue of packing, anyone know how cherimoya.com does theirs? They say they use lemons as filler but there must be a way to prevent crushing. Maybe it's like Oscar says with double boxes and a minimum order so they can use a larger box. It seems silly for me to order from them w/shipping since their orchard is in SoCal and it's so easy for me to grow them myself.

But sugar apples are less common here and I would order some.

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:47 PM »
For sugar apple, I could only see a styrofoam box like for insulation and with/without a normal cardboard outside for double protection. This would raise the shipping cost quite a bit but at least should be an alternative that customers could choose.
Thera

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
I too hope this operation can keep shipping exotic tropical fruits to CA.

On the issue of packing, anyone know how cherimoya.com does theirs? They say they use lemons as filler but there must be a way to prevent crushing. Maybe it's like Oscar says with double boxes and a minimum order so they can use a larger box. It seems silly for me to order from them w/shipping since their orchard is in SoCal and it's so easy for me to grow them myself.

But sugar apples are less common here and I would order some.
They use a priority box, the bottom is lined with small lemons and the cherimoys are interspersed nested in shredded shipping/packing paper/very lightweight cardboard.  When I got mine they all arrived intact and in perfect condition.  They weren't instant ripe as to allow for crushed annonas as in Theras shipment of SAs.
- Rob

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
Cherimoyas are tougher than sugar apples and could withstand such shipping method better. Atemoyas are even tougher than cherimoyas. But there is no way you could ship SAs without making sure that the fruits don't move and won't get crushed even slightly. Kampong Mauves are even more fragiles than the green Lessards.
Chewy SAs, on the other hand, just might be as tough as cherimoyas.

They use a priority box, the bottom is lined with small lemons and the cherimoys are interspersed nested in shredded shipping/packing paper/very lightweight cardboard.  When I got mine they all arrived intact and in perfect condition.  They weren't instant ripe as to allow for crushed annonas as in Theras shipment of SAs.
Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
Ripe fruits have to be packed like eggs = VERY FRAGILE. It can be done but you have to know how to do it.
But in all fairness, lately even with careful packing the postal service smashes a certain percentage of my well packed items. Sometimes i really wonder what they do to these packages to smash them up so bad? Would be interesting to get a behind the scenes look! Do they get obese postal workers to sit on them, throw them off the top of buildings, drive over them? Oh yes, i even had one precious package driven over at their airplane tarmac.  :'( :'( :'(
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
I don't have much experience shipping but came to realize anytime a box gets labeled "FRAGILE" will suffer severe punishment, while packages without such label will suffer slightly less. 

Also an observation others may have noticed, regardless how fragile the fruits may be, too big a box for the small number of fruits.  On top of our crazy heat lately, all those packaging papers don't help much either.

At least they sent you a cold heiney  ;D
Tim

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
Yes, Tim, lucky I had my own Big Green to comfort me!

I don't have much experience shipping but came to realize anytime a box gets labeled "FRAGILE" will suffer severe punishment, while packages without such label will suffer slightly less. 

Also an observation others may have noticed, regardless how fragile the fruits may be, too big a box for the small number of fruits.  On top of our crazy heat lately, all those packaging papers don't help much either.

At least they sent you a cold heiney  ;D
Thera