Author Topic: San Diego Nursery mini tour  (Read 4453 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
San Diego Nursery mini tour
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Stopped by Exotica today and was able to take some pictures.  They have so many healthy & great looking Annona, Rose apple & Java plum (though I noticed new growth a bit reddish-similar to rose apple) seedlings ... it was hard walking away without making a purchase due to limited space  :( 

Some CA grown lychees, che, one absolutely loaded white sapote with fruits mostly bigger than my fist, and the world's largest cherimoya  ;D

Tim

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Nursery mini tour
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
From now until Nov. is the best time to go to Exotica. I love their taste table. Did you see the okrung mango tree, in my opinion a very average tasting mango, it should be loaded at time?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »
No I was not able to get to the back of the nursery, there were several locks per gate so I assume they really didn't want Steve to wander back there.  Looks really deserted too, over grown weeds everywhere.

>>> Sorry TNTRobbie, couldn't get the picture you asked for. <<<
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
No I was not able to get to the back of the nursery, there were several locks per gate so I assume they really didn't want Steve to wander back there.  Looks really deserted too, over grown weeds everywhere.

>>> Sorry TNTRobbie, couldn't get the picture you asked for. <<<

By Steve, do you mean Steve Spangler? What is the status of the nusery? I heard it was up for foreclosure?
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »
I am not up to date with Exotica news but last I heard (which is really old news) was it was in dire need of financial rescue, some fund raising efforts but don't know how far that went, heard other nursery owners stepped in to help by taking some trees off his hands.  Half the original nursery plot already sectioned off looking for a buyer, couple years ago Steve told me the listing price which I don't recall an exact amount but remember thinking "that's pretty damn expensive"  ... true enough, it's still there.
Tim

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
It's to bad what's happening to Steve S. Exotica nursery he has been around in CRFG almost since the beginning and has helped a lot of rare fruiterers by introducing them to many tropical exotics. To bad business end didn't match the growing side, but I have witnessed many a CRFG Fruit Festival where he was supposed to be there and never showed up or showed up so late that folks didn't have a chance to buy his plants, but I must say hes like that battery bunny he just keeps going!  :(

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
It's to bad what's happening to Steve S. Exotica nursery he has been around in CRFG almost since the beginning and has helped a lot of rare fruiterers by introducing them to many tropical exotics. To bad business end didn't match the growing side, but I have witnessed many a CRFG Fruit Festival where he was supposed to be there and never showed up or showed up so late that folks didn't have a chance to buy his plants, but I must say hes like that battery bunny he just keeps going!  :(

I remember that Steve S. was having financial problems with his nursery when i lived in San Diego 25 years ago. Because someone is good with plants doesn't necessarily mean they're good with running a business. I notice this is quite common with gardener/farmer types: terrible at paper work. I hope the nursery can remain in business.
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
He must be doing ok if he supposedly has been in "financial problem" for 25 years and still doing busines after 25 years. I was there about a month ago and business was brisk, the plants looked healthy, and the fruits were tasty.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
Hey Tim, do you know what variety of lychees those are?  Their Brewster and Mauritius Lychees are getting huge in the back. 
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
He must be doing ok if he supposedly has been in "financial problem" for 25 years and still doing busines after 25 years. I was there about a month ago and business was brisk, the plants looked healthy, and the fruits were tasty.

Hi Cuban007

I'm not surprise he is having financial problems....great nursery but very disorganized.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
I have been to this nursery once and purchased curry leaf plant and tasted delicious custard apple and surinam cherries. I think some of these secluded farms are also victim on high gas prices, for once if I think about making a trip there it is 140 miles and will cost me $40 worth of gas.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
I have been to this nursery once and purchased curry leaf plant and tasted delicious custard apple and surinam cherries. I think some of these secluded farms are also victim on high gas prices, for once if I think about making a trip there it is 140 miles and will cost me $40 worth of gas.

Behl, Vista is secluded? ??? Might be far from where you live, but i wouldn't call it secluded just because gas is now expensive. Vista has always been the main area for nurseries in San Diego.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
Sorry Simon, I didn't ask which variety it was...too busy inspecting the in-ground mango close by. 

Hey Tim, do you know what variety of lychees those are?  Their Brewster and Mauritius Lychees are getting huge in the back. 
Simon
Tim

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Good to hear Tim, I'm glad he is still there, usually nice plants at very nice prices.

-Ethan