Author Topic: COLD-HARDY GOMERA-1 MANGO TREE  (Read 9721 times)

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
COLD-HARDY GOMERA-1 MANGO TREE
« on: July 16, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »

so has anyone grown one of these
or tasted the fruit ?
sounds like it has  a lot of fiber, but if it tastes OK
it may be worth it for certain climates ?
anyone know how much cold they really take ?

-------------------------------

Gomera-1 is a hardy variety of Mango suited to a coastal Mediterranean climate. It is used as a rootstock for grafting other cultivars of mango, because the roots of Gomera-1 grow better in colder or dryer areas and improve the cold-hardiness of the plant.

This variety of mango is well adapted to the environment of the Canary Islands. It can be seen thriving in windy areas with rocky soils. It is unscathed by cool and wet winters and fruits very well and regularly. It is found on many islands and it was probably, initially brought from Cuba. The name Gomera refers to the island of La Gomera, one of the seven islands of our archipelago. This is where Canarian agronomists collected the first samples to study this mango which is quite common in the rural areas of the islands.  Fruits are yellow, small to average size (250 g average), with  very good flavour, sweet, aromatic, with a high content in fibres.

Cultivation
It needs just the same conditions of any other mango trees. It is reproduced from seed. As a polyembrionic Mango, 90% of the seedlings are true to type. Adult trees are able to flower up to 3 times a year. If it is too cold or wet, they will loose the inflorescences and flower again, about 2 months later, until the right season for fruit set is matched. In order to achieve larger fruits sizes, it is good to remove by hand 1/3 of the fruits from the bunch. Gomera-1 fruits outdoors in coastal Mediterranean climates and it needs little or no protection in coastal Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece and also in the French Riviera.

Use as Root Stock for Grafting
Mango Gomera is regularly used as a rootstock for grafting throughout the Canary Islands and also in Andalusia. The use of the Canarian Hardy Mango as a rootstock permitted to push the commercial production of Mango in the Mediterranean basin, because the roots are hardier to cold and wet soil. All the different varieties of mango trees that we offer for sale are grafted on Gomera-1 rootstocks, so our customers in Europe will get the benefit of some added cold resistance from the roots.

http://www.canarius.com/blog/the-cold-hardy-gomera-1-mango-tree/309/
=================

Fruit yield, growth and leaf-nutrient status of mangoes grafted on two
rootstocks in a marginal growing area (South-East Spain).

. The height, trunk cross-sectional area, and canopy volume and diameter proved to be the greatest
with Gomera 3, reflecting the vigour of this rootstock. The combinations G1-Ost and G3-Kt registered
the highest fruit yield, offering promising possibilities for boosting subtropical productivity in mango.

http://www.fruits-journal.org/index.php?option=com_article&access=standard&Itemid=129&url=/articles/fruits/pdf/2006/03/i6014.pdf

=============
buy...
http://www.canarius.com/en/plants/mangifera-cv-gomera-1-large-hardy-canarian-mango.html

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Re: COLD-HARDY GOMERA-1 MANGO TREE
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:44:44 PM »
I have one, from Canarius. It's two years on ground without covering... the only variety that survived... no fruits or flowers untill now.  :)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
I have one, from Canarius. It's two years on ground without covering... the only variety that survived... no fruits or flowers untill now.  :)

Did you get temperatures below 0C during the winter those two winters?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
Sounds hopeful.

Here in Florida we don't know of any mango more cold-hardy than the other varieties.
Har

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 12:39:15 AM »
Sounds hopeful.

Here in Florida we don't know of any mango more cold-hardy than the other varieties.
Felipe from Las Canarias said this was a turpentine11...,no cold hardier than Laverne's seedling and ataulfo here in California. Consultant will carcarlo he has manga Amarilla, same as turpy,  might have some seeds

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 03:19:40 AM »

Did you get temperatures below 0C during the winter those two winters?
Yes -3C...

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
I think the hardiest one is the Gomera-3
I have one of those as rootstock for my "in ground" Glenn.
Well my plant survived 6 years, so i can't talk bad about it. But keep in mind i have had issues. This doesn’t mean anything; i haven't tested it next to another rootstock, so i can't really say anything for comparison, except that "it worked" for me.
Plant grafted on those looks like they handle cold a little better than other mangoes, for my potted plant. In fact i try to use them as rootstock for my most valuable specimen. Taste of the fruit is fair, but i see them mainly juicing variety because it has a lot of fiber.
My understanding is, that while the plant itself doesn't have a groundbreaking cold hardiness, compared to other mangoes, it deals better with cold damp winter of the Mediterranean area.
As far i can see long cold spell (weeks with temps around 32-40) are a problem also for this variety.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Fröhlich

• 9b Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Sounds hopeful.

I know that this is the consensus, but it seems a little odd to me considering how much variability there is in every other aspect of the mango tree.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:07:44 AM »
As i know there are not big differences (for cold-tolerance) among different cultivars of Mango...I read something about new American Cultivars (i don't remember the name) that should be more cold-resistant...but there are no tests or scientific evidences...Mango has not a wide cold-resistant range as Avocado..

It would be interesting to set a screening tool to select new cold-hardy mango cultivars....but there should be the right place and thousands of seedling mango.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:54:29 PM by Delvi83 »

Stan

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:26 PM »
The biggest difference in hardiness might not be because of this or that rootstalk...but that grafted plants will forever be more delicate than a seedling. Whenever there is freezing temps- what survives? The roots and lower trunk..the grafts die off.
I think the best way to get a hardy Mango for your climate is to plant a bunch and let nature weed out the weakest. Again,I planted three Autalfos..one is just amazingly hardy. It had less frost damage in its pot and 1/4 the height of my in ground grafted Baileys Marvel.

Gomera in norcal might thrive...but whatever's grafted on top will die. The more marginal the climate...maybe stick to seedlings? Thus the non grafted small Mangoes doing so much better in California.
Look at those Arizona giant trees....seedlings planted.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:30:33 PM by Stan »

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 04:50:41 PM »
Hi
I had three mango trees two years ,all grafted with rootstocks  Gomera 1 , I have lost by a big frost in winter, the  temperatures are down to -8C° (night) in my greenhouse  during one week . the Gomera 1 mango tree  can resist several night to -5c °  without problem with  dry earth in pot and the protection on of course .
But also resistant to limestone and drought.

Stan

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
Considering that Pancrazio says that Gomera fruit are fair...maybe select the poly fruit until one is sweet. Seems like a grower who hits on that has a winner. Just saying for those who have the room or adventurous- ;).

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 09:49:37 PM »
Kia ora koutou,

this mango sounds like worth a try for my area.
Who is selling viable 'Gomera-1' seeds ?

On 21/07/16 19:02, Sara - Canarius.com  wrote:
> Dear Andy,
>
> We don't sell seeds, only live plants.
> Yours truly,
>
> Sara - www.canarius.com
>
> Anaga Market S.L. - CIF: B76576784
> Callejón del Adelantado, 1 - 6D
> 38002 S Cruz de Tenerife - España / Spain

:-(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:04:31 PM by AndyNZ »

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 03:16:29 AM »
Gomera mango is very small full of fibres and very juicy if full ripe. It works great as rootstock in my area.  There are 2 new improved varieties Gomera-3 and Gomera-4. As i read they must be more cold tolerant.
Mike