Author Topic: I’m  (Read 8492 times)

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
Less is more. Diversity is key. Last comment above mine lays it out like several others. Good luck
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
But there is also a house, pool, driveway on that lot.

Most people seem to be forgetting that aspect of the equation. Other factors such as shape of the lot, planting restrictions in the front yard, presence of things like a septic tank, etc. can all affect the # of trees allowable. Either way, I'm with the majority opinion that 250 mango trees on 1/2 acre seems implausible.

We have approx .4 acres here with the benefit of a pie-shaped lot that allows for extra planting room. We're probably in the 40 - 50 tree range with arguable space for a couple more (if and when the kids' playset is removed), and even that is difficult to manage/keep pruned effectively.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
My phone tells me 21,780 sqft in 0.5 acres.
8 ft spacing would work

At just 4 feet trees would touch other. You need some space between trees, so trees have basically just 3.5 feet to extend their "wings". That's almost your arm's length.
What's the purpose here? Productive orchard or a field of unappealing looking mango sticks?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Funny how the op asked the question and we are all posting and sharing ideas, yet no further word or questions answered by the op. Dropped a topic for discussion and dipped out, lol. Maybe he fell in one of his 250 holes? Someone send help!

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Sounds like you need to buy a larger piece of land but multiple trees per whole might be an option? As is discussed in this post

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=7c43459401cbce15775b70b5d37f463b&topic=17790.msg223866#msg223866
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:11:05 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 250 mango trees on my 1/2 acre property is this possibl
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 11:48:53 AM »
My lot has a house and a pool and is on the corner. Can that many fruit trees thrive when so densely planted???

I cant see mango "thriving" in such a restricted environment.
- Marley

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Funny how the op asked the question and we are all posting and sharing ideas, yet no further word or questions answered by the op. Dropped a topic for discussion and dipped out, lol. Maybe he fell in one of his 250 holes? Someone send help!
Yeah, really strange!  Possibly he just wanted to collect all the varieties he could, which would be better accomplished by multi-grafting as mentioned, but we'll never know, will we?  (I'd prefer planting 20-30 outstanding varieties, especially if I was intending to sell fruit.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:09:24 PM by johnb51 »
John

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
John yes you are exactly correct I have 30-32 varieties
Of only the top rated new varieties on the TFF. I love you guys and all your input over the years. I really have planted about 225 mango trees. Most are inground for 2 years. Only 20 will be inground this season for 3 -25 years plus I have about 32 avocado trees and 3 10 year old Sweetheart lychee trees.
Yes all layed out on a 1/2 acre corner lot with a 3400 sq FT house with a pool and patio. It’s a nice neighborhood in Kendall of 120 homes with many rules and regulations from the homeowners association. If my yard doesn’t look like a work of art I will get in trouble. They are all on my lawn which presents problems to overcome too. Here are answers to your main questions; I will be turning 70 this summer and I hate exercise like in gyms and treadmills. Nobody my age wants to go out and play like when I was a kid. Nobody wants to even play catch in the street or go bike riding or play touch football. Tennis and golf traumatize my shoulder and back. Planting trees and taking care of them many hours a day 52 weeks a year is my hobby and I go to sleep every night thinking about their potentials and what I can do when I get up to make my plot look like a work of art. AND IT DOES NOW!!!!
My philosophy is that I will stay as healthy as my beautiful healthy trees if I do everything to keep them healthy and my layout looking as perfect as humanly possible. When I first started planting I knew nothing and wanted a collection of many varieties but from all the info you guys and girls put into the TFF I changed course rapidly and decided to plant only the highest recommended varieties. I do have some old time classics like Golden Lippens and Hatcher. And I have some patented unique avocados which is a whole other discussion. I have 7 of the 100 gallon green Dade County trash cans that handle almost all my pruning debris so I rarely have to go to the local dump. I live in Kendall near Killian HS.
I love planting fruit trees and I love it compulsively like a crazy person and I’m not embarrassed to admit it. Presently all my fruit is given to friends and neighbors and relatives and mailed to friends and relatives. Everything else is given to the food bank. This is a labor of love and exercise and good deeds. If you want a video tour I’ll make you one so you can judge for yourself or contact me and come over and see how crazy I really am. As to being to close together yes it’s a source of great exercise to keep each tree seperated. I love the focus it gives me to keep every space perfect.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:11:37 PM by weiss613 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
John yes you are exactly correct I have 30-32 varieties
Of only the top rated new varieties on the TFF. I love you guys and all your input over the years. I really have planted about 225 mango trees. Most are inground for 2 years. Only 20 will be inground this season for 3 -25 years plus I have about 32 avocado trees and 3 10 year old Sweetheart lychee trees.
Yes all layed out on a 1/2 acre corner lot with a 3400 sq FT house with a pool and patio. It’s a nice neighborhood in Kendall of 120 homes with many rules and regulations from the homeowners association. If my yard doesn’t look like a work of art I will get in trouble. They are all on my lawn which presents problems to overcome too. Here are answers to your main questions; I will be turning 70 this summer and I hate exercise like in gyms and treadmills. Nobody my age wants to go out and play like when I was a kid. Nobody wants to even play catch in the street or go bike riding or play touch football. Tennis and golf traumatize my shoulder and back. Planting trees and taking care of them many hours a day 52 weeks a year is my hobby and I go to sleep every night thinking about their potentials and what I can do when I get up to make my plot look like a work of art. AND IT DOES NOW!!!!
My philosophy is that I will stay as healthy as my beautiful healthy trees if I do everything to keep them healthy and my layout looking as perfect as humanly possible. When I first started planting I knew nothing and wanted a collection of many varieties but from all the info you guys and girls put into the TFF I changed course rapidly and decided to plant only the highest recommended varieties. I do have some old time classics like Golden Lippens and Hatcher. And I have some patented unique avocados which is a whole other discussion. I have 7 of the 100 gallon green Dade County trash cans that handle almost all my pruning debris so I rarely have to go to the local dump. I live in Kendall near Killian HS.
I love planting fruit trees and I love it compulsively like a crazy person and I’m not embarrassed to admit it. Presently all my fruit is given to friends and neighbors and relatives and mailed to friends and relatives. Everything else is given to the food bank. This is a labor of love and exercise and good deeds. If you want a video tour I’ll make you one so you can judge for yourself or contact me and come over and see how crazy I really am. As to being to close together yes it’s a source of great exercise to keep each tree seperated. I love the focus it gives me to keep every space perfect.
If you enjoy doing it, which you obviously do, then go for it! As one friend said to me when i told her how crazy i thought my planting projects were, "yes it's crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy!:
Oscar

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
I concur! "Feelings" make it all make sense. It's an experiment in mango mania, and I'm coming along for the ride. Pics please!

...and I'm glad you did not fall victim to one of your many holes. =)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
A nice area with a home owner's association -- that's probably going to be your biggest obstacle. At 15 foot spacing, the grass starts to die off once the canopies begin to touch. And for whatever reason, net worth and aversion to foliage tend to have a positive correlation. So what out for complainer neighbors. Good luck :-).
Jeff  :-)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
It’s a good kind of “crazy.” I’m afflicted, as well, but not to the same degree. Hopefully it will keep
us young and healthy. I also do not like gyms and prefer the outdoors
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Why not 350

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
I’ll make a nice video tomorrow or Thursday and put it on YouTube with the link right here.
I hope you enjoy it. There are many discussions that can come from viewing this project. Eg. In 25-30
years many trunks will be in contact what then?
What if you get too old to do the necessary work?
What will it all look like 30 years from now if you stop caring for the project
in 5 years? Etc etc etc.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
Don't worry. As soon as the property changes hands, the owner will cut everything down. That's typically how it works.

I’ll make a nice video tomorrow or Thursday and put it on YouTube with the link right here.
I hope you enjoy it. There are many discussions that can come from viewing this project. Eg. In 25-30
years many trunks will be in contact what then?
What if you get too old to do the necessary work?
What will it all look like 30 years from now if you stop caring for the project
in 5 years? Etc etc etc.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Here is the link that shows the 250+ mango avocado and lychee trees on a 1/2 corner lot with a house pool and patio Feb 13, 2019. I made this to explain the topic and encourage
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:15:24 PM by weiss613 »

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
I don’t see a link

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
This lady had a tiny plot with huge mature mango and avocados planted really close to each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd122RCGySg

Please skip to 5:20
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
I’ve seen this video at least 2X’s before but today looking at it from the perspective of the topic it seriously was a spiritual experience. Thank you for posting it it was soooo great!!
When they stood next to the 2 trees close together by the wall I could actually feel the texture of the mango tree he had his hand against. I have a neighbor with the exact same yard in Miami and it even has that exact same wall. When I first began my planting adventure about 20 years ago his yard looked like the one in this video. Poor guy got dementia a few years ago and now his wife has cleaned out a lot of the crowded stuff on the ground and now it looks better than ever. Once in awhile when there are no cars in the driveway I’ll go back there and just look around and marvel at the atmosphere and beauty......always in fear that the dogs will start barking and give me away.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:31:39 AM by weiss613 »