Author Topic: How do you say this fruits name? Proper Pronunciation.  (Read 10038 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: How do you say this fruits name? Proper Pronunciation.
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
"lemon zest"

pronounced: "nom nom nom"

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 11:02:51 PM »
Thank you for the correction about the Greek:  so it is "meer-see-AH-ree-ah."
Har

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 03:39:04 AM »
don't forget about the illama  .   how  do you say it?  I can't even spell it.  Isn't it the same as the animal?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 11:05:43 PM »
e za ma

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »
Is it "lie-chee" or "lee-chee" (lychee)?  Is it true Chinese dialects pronounce it differently?
I'm told by a Chinese acquaintance who is both fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin that "lee-chee" is the Cantonese pronunciation, while "lai-chee" is the Mandarin one. Being that lychee is endigenous to Cantonese territory, I'm inclined to think the first pronunciation may be more appropriate, but there's really no right one.

For some reason the spelling Lychee tends to be associated with the pronunciation "lee-chee", while Litchi tends to be associated with the pronunciation "lai-chee".

Perhaps not very relevant but the Japanese language would be inclined to pronounce it "lee-chee" (romanization: ri-chi).

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 01:44:41 AM »
Is it "lie-chee" or "lee-chee" (lychee)?  Is it true Chinese dialects pronounce it differently?
I'm told by a Chinese acquaintance who is both fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin that "lee-chee" is the Cantonese pronunciation, while "lai-chee" is the Mandarin one. Being that lychee is endigenous to Cantonese territory, I'm inclined to think the first pronunciation may be more appropriate, but there's really no right one.

For some reason the spelling Lychee tends to be associated with the pronunciation "lee-chee", while Litchi tends to be associated with the pronunciation "lai-chee".

Perhaps not very relevant but the Japanese language would be inclined to pronounce it "lee-chee" (romanization: ri-chi).

You got just about everything wrong in the above post. This stuff is rather easy to check.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lychee
https://translate.google.com/#en/ja/lychee (click speaker icon for pronunciation)
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »
I just use the botanical name, especially for my plants that have really long names, and hope it makes me sound smart!
My favorite plant to say right now is my Ricinodendron heudelotii...
Right or wrong, I pronounce it Rye-sin-oh-DEN-dron hew-dah-LOT-ee-eye.
My daughter-in-law calls it Njangsa, and I just can't get the correct Nj sound.
Hmmm.

Carolyn

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
ilama is spelled with one 'I' and only one 'L', and is pronounced "ee-LAH-mah". It is short for Ilama-Sapote--- "old woman's sapote".  The people in Mexico who called it this had no knowledge of the South American animal, whose name is spelled with two 'L's'.  The double 'LL' is pronounced with the whole front half of the tongue firmly pressed against the roof of one's mouth.  The confusion was largely produced by overly economical typewriters and fonts that used the same key for the number one as for the lower case of 'L' and as for the upper case of 'i.'
Har