Author Topic: Mango suddenly dried  (Read 2225 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Mango suddenly dried
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:32:11 AM »
One of my mangoes in pots has suddenly dried from top all way down. It was kept in cold but not freezing. Any change to recover it?

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango suddenly dried
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
The cold surely didn't help, but that tree looks like it has something(s) else going on. How long has it been planted in that spot? I've seen similar top down death, it's always been soil/root issues. I'd doubt it could be salvaged from the looks of it (no healthy leaves left), act fast if you are going to try.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:53:25 AM »
The cold surely didn't help, but that tree looks like it has something(s) else going on. How long has it been planted in that spot? I've seen similar top down death, it's always been soil/root issues. I'd doubt it could be salvaged from the looks of it (no healthy leaves left), act fast if you are going to try.

Its in a pot...
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
What size pot is it in?  How cold, for how long and how long ago.  The longer it holds those dead leaves, the worse it is for it.
- Rob

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
Ahh, reading slower helps. I'd still guess it's something in his soil mix or a root issue. The only thing that worked when I saw similar was cutting back to healthy leaves/wood and repotting. There are no healthy leaves left, branches are shriveling, but the trunk is still green and plump. I'd remove all the leaves as you suggest, repot, top it down to the first set of leaves and hope for the best with Spring not too far off.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 12:42:52 PM »
During a temperature drop, the roots of a potted plant will get cold quicker than those in ground. Exposed, with only a little plastic to insulate.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Try to cut some of the leaves and leave only the petioles , if they get consumed by the plant and fall off easily in a few days , it may make it. If right now they are mummified while green I think there will be no salvage ...at least thats my experience with plants in such condition ...

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »
What size pot is it in?  How cold, for how long and how long ago.  The longer it holds those dead leaves, the worse it is for it.

4 gal pot, it's been in cold greenhouse for 2 months, not freezing at 40-50 F. Two trees dried from top to bottom very fast in a week. Soil was not very wet.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 11:13:17 AM »
That's a big mango for a 4" pot.... is there any soil or is it all roots?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 12:30:28 PM »
That's a big mango for a 4" pot.... is there any soil or is it all roots?

Yes there is soil,  not rootbound. It made a fruit during last summer. The tree was 5 ft tall.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 04:26:00 PM »
The longer it holds those dead leaves, the worse it is for it.

Is this the same advice for young mangos in the ground?
I have around 5 trees that have burnt leaves from the cold, should I cut them back now or
let them fall  off? The thin branches look brittle as well
THANKS
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:22:23 AM by achetadomestica »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 04:33:20 PM »
One of my mangoes in pots has suddenly dried from top all way down. It was kept in cold but not freezing. Any change to recover it?

It's gone. This is root root or bark root around the trunk closer to ground.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 06:16:12 AM »
A third mango started to die back.
I cut the dying branches from top and it seems like the truck has a brown circle in it.
Is this root rot?  The tree has been exposed to cold temperatures but not freezing.
Any chance with this?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2021, 06:32:54 AM »
A third mango started to die back.
I cut the dying branches from top and it seems like the truck has a brown circle in it.
Is this root rot?  The tree has been exposed to cold temperatures but not freezing.
Any chance with this?

I am not growing mango right now, but i'm sure if u introduce the trees into a warmer environment ,u will not have problems with them. Its probably not the temp per see, but the duration of it that makes them go RIP...

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 07:34:37 AM »
Brown is not a good color to see inside your cut.  I am concerned but will let more experienced folks chime in.
If I see what looks like discoloration, I try to get a fresh cut below it until the discoloration is no longer present.  If you believe it is coming from below then there is no point you will cut down to to get past it.  In which case, I will suggest don't overwater but take care of the tree and watch it, it may be a goner already but then stranger things have happened.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »
I put these inside the house to get warm again. They stayed a month at around 5-10C, so I suspect root rot. The soil was very dry but once I watered them they started to die.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 04:09:07 PM »
I put these inside the house to get warm again. They stayed a month at around 5-10C, so I suspect root rot. The soil was very dry but once I watered them they started to die.

Mango prefer dry soil in cold winter. We wanted to take good care of them and ended up killing them. Only water during the growing months. Why didn't you bring them inside the warm house? They do fine in shade location.

I used to have brown trunk disease (fungus or virus I think) but no more in the last 4 yrs as the trees are bigger and healthier. 

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »

Mango prefer dry soil in cold winter. We wanted to take good care of them and ended up killing them. Only water during the growing months. Why didn't you bring them inside the warm house? They do fine in shade location.

I used to have brown trunk disease (fungus or virus I think) but no more in the last 4 yrs as the trees are bigger and healthier.

In the past when I moved them from cold to warm they usually died of temperature shock, so I tried to keep them in a cool place like in the past years, somehow this year didn't work, lost 3 mature mangoes, some varieties not easy to find. And also about 15 seedlings. yes you are right if they are mature they survive better. Young ones die easily.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 01:48:56 AM »
In the past when I moved them from cold to warm they usually died of temperature shock, so I tried to keep them in a cool place like in the past years, somehow this year didn't work
Temperature shock? We have 77F day time and 40F night time daily here and they are OK. I don't think they died because temperature shock.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 09:19:52 AM »
I have had plants do this while still in the warmth of my greenhouse, and always wondered what happened.  Mango, miracle fruit, finger lime, and a couple of citrus.  They just suddenly turn brown and die. 
Wish they could talk...

Carolyn

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
I have had plants do this while still in the warmth of my greenhouse, and always wondered what happened.  Mango, miracle fruit, finger lime, and a couple of citrus.  They just suddenly turn brown and die. 
Wish they could talk...

Carolyn

Inside a gh is humid and soil doesn't get the change to dry. So I suspect root rot, especially whn it's cold and humid

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 10:18:06 AM »
In the past when I moved them from cold to warm they usually died of temperature shock, so I tried to keep them in a cool place like in the past years, somehow this year didn't work
Temperature shock? We have 77F day time and 40F night time daily here and they are OK. I don't think they died because temperature shock.

I didn't know they can take a temperature difference.
I thought they are like citrus where moving them from cold to warm makes them drop most leaves.
Very interesting that whn mango dies it doesn't start to yellow leaves or drop them. It just dries from top to bottom.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »

I didn't know they can take a temperature difference.
I thought they are like citrus where moving them from cold to warm makes them drop most leaves.
Very interesting that whn mango dies it doesn't start to yellow leaves or drop them. It just dries from top to bottom.
just visited a botanical garden today. They had several big potted mangos, one of which was dying or was dead already and looked just like yours, green leaves just dry out and stay on the plant. Seems like a plants that does not give u second chance if u make a mistake .....

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »
just visited a botanical garden today. They had several big potted mangos, one of which was dying or was dead already and looked just like yours, green leaves just dry out and stay on the plant. Seems like a plants that does not give u second chance if u make a mistake .....
[/quote]

I have been growing mangoes for years in pots. Mine are 2 m high. Every summer I get fruits.
This year my greenhouse was not heated properly so I lost 4 big mangoes and about 15 nice looking seedlings. Once the temperature is down 8-10C problems start to come.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »

I have been growing mangoes for years in pots. Mine are 2 m high. Every summer I get fruits.
This year my greenhouse was not heated properly so I lost 4 big mangoes and about 15 nice looking seedlings. Once the temperature is down 8-10C problems start to come.
[/quote]

This has been my experience too. Plenty of days were too cold and I was hit the "brown death". Is there any saving them after it starts?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk