Author Topic: My mango tree fertilization plan for this November  (Read 738 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
My mango tree fertilization plan for this November
« on: February 15, 2021, 10:32:55 AM »
My mango tree fertilization plan for this November----

On my lesser blooming trees  I am going to lay down a 50/50 mix of convention 10-10-10 and 8-3-9. All with the idea that the potassium and nitrogen in them will stimulate bloom. In Philippines they spray potassium nitrate to stimulate bloom

October-November-December.... Which month is best to do this? Has anyone burned mango trees with 10-10-10? Now I am thinking two smaller applications in November and December will be better.
For a fairly wide 17ft high tree how much of this fertilizer mix?

Thanks! All input  is appreciated.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: My mango tree fertilization plan for this November
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 11:39:57 AM »
You will probably want to not use fertilizers with nitrogen components at that level.  I would look into using the zero nitrogen fert. from Truly Tropical and supplemented potassium.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »
Thanks Rob

No Hars special K on hand but I do have granular potassium  0-0-50  --- How many pounds 0-0-50 and what month, do you think for my size mango trees - Size mentioned above
I assume underneath the mulch?

Zands

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 11:56:25 PM »
Here’s what I found out about using nitrogen on mango trees. MAY NOT BE TRUE!! Yes I took a chance this past year and fertilized my trees with a 9-3-6 liquid fertilizer that’s complete with all the micros and I applied it sometimes every week or 2 weeks and some times once a month and guess what.....besides having beautiful looking trees I have blossoms on almost every tree. OF 30 varieties Im only waiting now for my Peach Cobblers to pop.  Now this year may go down in history as one of the greatest mango seasons of all time for everyone so maybe this year it did not matter when I used nitrogen but I did nitrogen straight through Feb 3 and the experiment was a success. And I intend to continue using this complete nutrition year round on my young trees. Now using a 9-3-6 granular fertilizer is a completely different story because granular can easily burn. And with granular if you don’t get it perfect it doesn’t get into the tree. Too many variables like needed water or water washing the granules away from the tree. But burns is the biggest problem because if you love your trees too much you give it too much. It’s only natural. So you put granular down and a month later you put more. If it didn’t get enough water the past month and then you reapply now you get the new granular working plus the residual from the previous month. Say you use a sustained release that lasts 3 months. Same thing too many variables. If one applies a liquid fertilizer it’s quick and easy and it goes right down and if it rains it pushes it right down deep where the roots can absorb that nutritional blend that doesn’t need to first be dissolved. But this year I used the 9-3-6 on all my trees from 1-36 years old and this experiment has put my mind to rest on the use of nitrogen on mango trees as relates to fruiting. As far as increasing my trees height and girth aI don’t care because 1 time a year after harvest I reshape them way way down. I am in control and I love this vigorous exercise that’s required. But it is a pain in the neck getting rid of all the cuttings. Here is how it all started. I burned the heck out of a lot of my trees by using weed and grass killer. The leaves and many branches died and a ton of leaves got terribly discolored and stained and too many new leaves were coming out looking diseased. So I had to push the heck out of my trees to grow and I had to remove all the ugly leaves. That’s how this crazy but successful experiment began.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:59:40 PM by weiss613 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 01:11:02 AM »
Here’s what I found out about using nitrogen on mango trees. MAY NOT BE TRUE!! Yes I took a chance this past year and fertilized my trees with a 9-3-6 liquid fertilizer that’s complete with all the micros and I applied it sometimes every week or 2 weeks and some times once a month and guess what.....besides having beautiful looking trees I have blossoms on almost every tree. OF 30 varieties Im only waiting now for my Peach Cobblers to pop.  Now this year may go down in history as one of the greatest mango seasons of all time for everyone so maybe this year it did not matter when I used nitrogen but I did nitrogen straight through Feb 3 and the experiment was a success. And I intend to continue using this complete nutrition year round on my young trees. Now using a 9-3-6 granular fertilizer is a completely different story because granular can easily burn. And with granular if you don’t get it perfect it doesn’t get into the tree. Too many variables like needed water or water washing the granules away from the tree. But burns is the biggest problem because if you love your trees too much you give it too much. It’s only natural. So you put granular down and a month later you put more. If it didn’t get enough water the past month and then you reapply now you get the new granular working plus the residual from the previous month. Say you use a sustained release that lasts 3 months. Same thing too many variables. If one applies a liquid fertilizer it’s quick and easy and it goes right down and if it rains it pushes it right down deep where the roots can absorb that nutritional blend that doesn’t need to first be dissolved. But this year I used the 9-3-6 on all my trees from 1-36 years old and this experiment has put my mind to rest on the use of nitrogen on mango trees as relates to fruiting. As far as increasing my trees height and girth aI don’t care because 1 time a year after harvest I reshape them way way down. I am in control and I love this vigorous exercise that’s required. But it is a pain in the neck getting rid of all the cuttings. Here is how it all started. I burned the heck out of a lot of my trees by using weed and grass killer. The leaves and many branches died and a ton of leaves got terribly discolored and stained and too many new leaves were coming out looking diseased. So I had to push the heck out of my trees to grow and I had to remove all the ugly leaves. That’s how this crazy but successful experiment began.
Which liquid fertilizer did you use?
Please do a follow up after the fruiting season, You said the flowering is off the chart
but how is the actual yield and quality of fruit?
THANKS

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 09:17:00 AM »
I'm sticking with the experts, and with what works in my yard. No nitrogen on mature mango trees.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 10:12:53 AM »
That is some excessive fertilization.   Are you spraying or drenching?  Definitely would not recommend that on a mature tree...
- Rob

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 05:59:05 PM »
Yes I totally agree about mature trees but in my case it’s about who needs the tree to grow 5 feet or more every year.
Here is what I use and the technique
https://youtu.be/lK3seh5pCHU