Author Topic: Hoslundia opposita & Do Fruits High in Sugar Cause Nasea?  (Read 1647 times)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Hoslundia opposita & Do Fruits High in Sugar Cause Nasea?
« on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:08 AM »

"the fruits are usually only eaten in small or moderate amounts since large quantities can cause nausea because of the excessive amount of sugar they contain" Now this sentence actually prompted me to start the thread as Iv read it for a few species and always wondered.
Do fruits with very high sugar make you nauseous? I thought that people were trying to breed more sugar in to fruit, does it really make you feel sick or is it just if you actually stuff yourself and overeat?

http://www.plantzafrica.com/planthij/hoslundop.htm
Besides my main sugar question, anyone try this fruit before?

It is apparently hardy anywhere is South Africa meaning it will take some frost.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Hoslundia opposita & Do Fruits High in Sugar Cause Nasea?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:28:07 AM »
I've never known anyone to experience nausea from sweet things. Jeez in the southern US we drink iced tea so sweet the spoon almost stands up. If this were true I doubt restaurants could / would serve it. Maybe the locals have some natural intolerance to the fruit itself?
Regards,

Gary

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:54:44 AM »
Iv read it for a couple different African fruits where it specifically refers to fruits being too sweet and due to that one cant eat too many???
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »
I've heard of fruits causing nausea before and I think there are one or two African fruits that Roy Danforth attributed this to.  However, I don't recall those fruits as being especially sweet, so I don't know that nausea and sweetness necessarily go hand in hand.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk