Author Topic: Curling leaves  (Read 1143 times)

CanadianCitrus

• Canada
    • View Profile
Curling leaves
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
The battle of growing citrus in my basement in Canada continues. I think I am winning the war against root rot but one of my Naval oranges is experiencing leaf curing. The tree divides into two main branches. One branch is looking beautiful, dark waxy leaves and beautiful smelling blooms all over. the other main branch has nothing but droopy curling leaves and the blooms don't look so great. I am ensuring proper watering cycle, feeding is going well, it is receiving supplemental light from a CFL. The ambient temperature of the room is between 67f and 70f. After continually reading the article about winter leaf drop I don't think it is effecting this plant as my other plants are not experiencing those symptoms. I have un curled the leaves to inspect for pests and there are none ( no bugs, no residue just curled leaves).

Would it be a good idea to move these plants into a grow tent to increase the temperature to 75f and maybe give them a bit more humidity? Should I get a big grow light for them?

(these are indoor potted plants)

Thanks

-too far north
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:49:43 AM by CanadianCitrus »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Curling leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
Your tree's leaves really are curling.   Reading your past posts, I understand your caution on watering due to past root rot problems.  Know however, it is not the amount of water that actually casus root rot, it is the lack of root zone oxygen that causes the damage, and this is caused by the porosity of the medium. You should slip your tree out of its container and examine the root system, to determine if the entire root ball is receiving water.  Water many times channels through the container laving some section wet, while other sections remain dry.  Also determine the porosity of the medium.  The leaves look under watered.

CanadianCitrus

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »
Thanks for your reply!

I read in past posts that if the soil isn't absorbing water properly that I could soak the pot in another container of water for an extended period of time. would that be appropriate to do in this situation?

Thanks!

-too far north

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
I find channeling in my larger containers more or  less frequently, especially if they have not been soaked in quite some time..  To correct the dry portion, I soak the container by setting it in a larger container and fill it with water and let the tree soak for an hour or so..  Many times I let the tree soak over night.  Either way, I then put  two boards on top of an empty container and set the tree on the boards to drain..