Author Topic: Is super phosphate good for citrus?  (Read 1425 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Is super phosphate good for citrus?
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:43:54 PM »
A local old timer told me to fertilize my orange trees with super phosphate in the winter after the fruit is gone, for a good citrus crop the following spring. Is there truth to that?

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
Re: Is super phosphate good for citrus?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
IMHO not a good idea to fertilize citrus in the winter in a marginal citrus growing area.
It encourages growth which lowers cold hardiness.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
That's a good point.  Am new to citrus and never really thought about it until yesterday when I was reading a citrus fertilizer thread, and noticed that citrus fert is low in P.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
I’ve read it’s good to super phosphate apple trees and cherry trees in fall so they will bloom better in spring. My soil test indicates low in phosphorous so I incorporate phosphate into my planting soil for every tree I plant. My apple trees bloomed after super phosphate scratched into soil around drip line. Find out if you need the phosphate first with soil test. They say too much phosphate in fertilizer runs off into water ways and poisons fish.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:16:47 PM »
Thanks. Actually, I am low in Phosphorus, per the soil test I had done a couple of years ago. Had a the soil test done by the local county extension and they recommended plenty of P. I have added some, but probably am still low. Yea, Walmart and Lowes, etc, don't stock much phosphate heavy stuff....had to go to Ace.