Author Topic: Never paid attention to what foliar growth avocados fruit on, and.....  (Read 1163 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Funny but I've been growing avocados since the 80's and never given any thought as to what foliar flushes the flowers push from.  Can I assume it's the previous year's growth including several flushes back, OR, is it only the most recent one?  Reason why I ask is my Reed is super vigorous and needs another haircut, it's 3rd for this year at least.  Am keeping it below 13'. 

Change gears, ate our first pitaya yesterday.  I started planted cuttings last year and the 4 are blooming like crazy - Sugar, Physical Graffiti, Santa Barbara Red, Frankie's Red.  In fact, the vigor is over the top on everything but the cocktail cherimoya which looks like crap. I don't think it likes the 100F + days.

Reed in June.  Add 2' all around now.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
Re: Never paid attention to what foliar growth avocados fruit on, and.....
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:06:51 AM »
Did about 50 grafts to citrus trees last year that were frozen to the ground Jan. 2018.  Here's a cluster of 7 huge Marrs oranges on one graft.  Word is folks from California call this one "Texas Sweet". it's low acid very sweet and juicy fruit that hasn't been sold in local nurseries for a long time. 

Nothing like a frozen cocktail during this Texas heat.  Ice cubes/juice of fresh blood oranges, key limes; limequat concentrate, Blanco tequila, Bacardi, Triple Sec, agave syrup, water, ice cubes.  Blend, freeze overnight, blend, serve.  Top off with an Italian Amarena black cherry.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:18:04 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »
You still have plenty of time to trim your tree.  The flowers will form on new flush sites that emerge in spring. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
You still have plenty of time to trim your tree.  The flowers will form on new flush sites that emerge in spring.

Emerge in spring?  OK 

Usually a cold front by this time starts shutting things down.  I noticed this morn where my mangos are firing off all kinds of new growth.

Check out this Sharwil tree with a branch or 2 of Lamb and 1 of Pinkerton.  Puppy is a good 9' tall.

9' Ardith, topped about 6' up.

GEM is about to be crowded out by Reed to its left.  10' cocktail key lime tree behind it.

I hope for a heavy blossom set next year.   You can't believe the over priced Mexican crap we're being fed here in Texas, am just sick of it and VERY rarely will I buy them except to see if the quality has improved.  I just ordered a box of avocados from Morro Avocado Ranch.  A bit expensive but i have no other choice.

Best price and high quality.  https://morrocreekranch.com/product-category/avocados/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:14:29 AM by Mark in Texas »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 02:05:00 PM »
Lookin great.  As long as your trees are in that vigorous state, you can trim now and there will be plenty of bud sites in spring.  I sold some guy several hundred scions this time last year and had to hard prune several trees to do it.  They all had plenty of flowers and fruit set this year. 
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
Lookin great.  As long as your trees are in that vigorous state, you can trim now and there will be plenty of bud sites in spring.  I sold some guy several hundred scions this time last year and had to hard prune several trees to do it.  They all had plenty of flowers and fruit set this year.

Sounds great!