Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620526 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #500 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
The reward is the fruit you will get when you plant out one of these tropical seeds you are going to grow that takes half a lifetime to fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
I was going to say something similar...

The great thing for all of these young forum members is that they have a head start on all of us! I started growing fruit trees at 37!

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #502 on: February 28, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
If only i'd started when i was 13 i would have 40 foot tall mangosteen orchard by now.  :'( :'(
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #503 on: March 01, 2013, 05:30:29 PM »
It's not that mangosteens are finicky, it's that they are a tropical plant and you don't live in the tropics.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 01, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »
The reward is the fruit you will get when you plant out one of these tropical seeds you are going to grow that takes half a lifetime to fruit.
Yeah! Let's see... where'd I put those mangosteen seeds...
 ;D

With life expectancy these days you can try coco-de-mer. You can see it flower before you're 100 and maybe see the fruit ripen as well. But be sure to plant several so you'll have both male and female. Don't want to have to start over you know.:)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
I'll adopt a young fruit-fanatic ( afraid my collection and nursery is gonna go to waste the day I am not there anymore ) he or she will have to move to Mexico and learn Spanish ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 01, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
But I thought those were illegal...?
I think it's likely illegal to export them from the Maldives. Maybe you meant illegal to privately own an endangered species. I was only kidding:)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #507 on: March 02, 2013, 12:18:59 AM »
But I thought those were illegal...?
I think it's likely illegal to export them from the Maldives. Maybe you meant illegal to privately own an endangered species. I was only kidding:)

Coco de mer, or double coconut, comes from Seychelles Islands, not Maldives. The government in Seychelles a few years ago made it illegal to export the nuts. It's still possible to buy them there and mail them. You need a special government certificate and license, and it's all very expensive, especially when you add the transportation. BTW, they don't take 100 years to fruit, it's probably more around 30, to start fruiting. Anyway, yes they are slow.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 02, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »
Thanks for the corrections :)

Sigh. That's the problem with youth. You don't have the money to do stuff you want, and by the time you do, it's too late to do some of those stuff.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #509 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
Sigh. That's the problem with youth. You don't have the money to do stuff you want, and by the time you do, it's too late to do some of those stuff.
My thoughts exactly.  :'(

I know some people that started at this hobby at very yearly age, one at the age of 5, and they turned out to be incredibly productive and happy individuals. So i wouldn't despair!  :)
Oscar

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 03, 2013, 05:27:58 AM »
Hello everyone.  We are in Taiwan.  Little cooler than many tropical areas but still above 15 year round.

We have some land where we grow lots of different kinds of fruit and like to travel and try new kinds where we go :)

Next week we go Borneo and I hope to try new types of Durian!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #511 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:24 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  :'(

I know some people that started at this hobby at very yearly age, one at the age of 5, and they turned out to be incredibly productive and happy individuals. So i wouldn't despair!  :)
5!? Whoa!! Did he/she just like eating the fruit, or did they actually get in to growing things at age 5?

This boy took over the whole family garden at that age. And it was a very big garden!
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 04, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Hello everyone.  We are in Taiwan.  Little cooler than many tropical areas but still above 15 year round.

We have some land where we grow lots of different kinds of fruit and like to travel and try new kinds where we go :)

Next week we go Borneo and I hope to try new types of Durian!

Welcome Kay!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
I'll adopt a young fruit-fanatic ( afraid my collection and nursery is gonna go to waste the day I am not there anymore ) he or she will have to move to Mexico and learn Spanish ....

Bueno dias papa.
Don't tell my parents, but I'm an orphan and look younger than I am.
Can I borrow the truck and some money for gas?

DM

romecar911

• USA, CA/Southern. HB
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 05, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
Hi,
Gardening is my new hobby and I'm growing some tropical trees for fruits that I ate when I was in a child in SA. I live in USDA zone 10b and I see some of you managed miracles in much colder climates. Grafting is my next project so I can  improve the quality of the fruit as well as extending the season. It looks like my first avocado graft took but another one looks dead. Hopefully, I will not kill my tree learning but if I feel comfortable, I want to work on my apricot tree and add plums and peaches to it. I have a tall longan tree that I failed to prune because I didn't know better so I might try air layering before cutting it back. I am learning and I'm having fun so it's nice to have access to this forum with all the information, knowledge and experience.
Carlos

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
My Father has grown guavas since 1969 in the Redlands district, he recently passed away and left the farm to my wife and I.

He showed us many ways to grow the red guava and how to care for it before he passed. I love my new job, we have moved the entire family to Florida to take care of the farms.

My wife and I owned a tractor dealership since the 90s in another state before we arrived, so farm equipment is second nature to us.
I look forward to meeting the members here and making new friends......

Here's our web site  www.sardinafarms.com

Farm boy ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:34:04 PM by FarmBoy »

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #516 on: March 09, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum farm boy!! I work in the Redlands also,now I know where to come for juicy guavas!! Mike

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »
Farm boy ;)

Nice web site.  Welcome to the forum.  I have a couple of questions for you. How do you deal with fruit fly on your property in your guava groves?  Also, how do you get mature Keitt mangoes in June?  I don't think I have ever had one reach maturity at my place earlier than late July and not usually until August or after? Thanks.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
Farm boy ;)

Nice web site.  Welcome to the forum.  I have a couple of questions for you. How do you deal with fruit fly on your property in your guava groves?  Also, how do you get mature Keitt mangoes in June?  I don't think I have ever had one reach maturity at my place earlier than late July and not usually until August or after? Thanks.
I will second Harry's comment about Kents in June and add to it Mamey in April??
- Rob

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
I will second Harry's comment about Kents in June and add to it Mamey in April??

We just picked 1700 lbs of mamey a week ago. Feel free to stop by, maybe I will let you squeeze a few......

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »

We just picked 1700 lbs of mamey a week ago. Feel free to stop by, maybe I will let you squeeze a few......
Are they Mamey, such as Pantin, Pace, Lorito, etc. or are they Magaņa?  Big difference...
- Rob

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
As far as the keets.....  we sell them to a special Asian market that only buys them green.

However, I don't eat green mango's, it sounds like a recipe for a stomach ache.

FarmBoy

• Redlands FL.
    • View Profile
    • sardinafarms.com
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »

Are they Mamey, such as Pantin, Pace, Lorito, etc. or are they Magaņa?  Big difference...

Magaņa

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
As far as the keets.....  we sell them to a special Asian market that only buys them green.

However, I don't eat green mango's, it sounds like a recipe for a stomach ache.

Ah ha.  Green Keitts in June......much more do-able. I thought you had mastered some new maturing technique.  I didn't see any response to my fruit fly/guava question.  Did you miss my question or is it a trade secret?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2013, 10:04:48 PM »
My Father has grown guavas since 1969 in the Redlands district, he recently passed away and left the farm to my wife and I.

He showed us many ways to grow the red guava and how to care for it before he passed. I love my new job, we have moved the entire family to Florida to take care of the farms.

My wife and I owned a tractor dealership since the 90s in another state before we arrived, so farm equipment is second nature to us.
I look forward to meeting the members here and making new friends......

Farm boy ;)

Welcome to the forum Farm Boy. I'm sorry to hear your father has passed. I had the opportunity to meet your father and tour your farm a few years back with Dr. Crane during the Tropical Fruit Research and Production class I took at TREC. He showed us the packing house and gave us some guavas and also let us walk through the grove and keep any fruit we found that was ready to pick. It's great to know that you're keeping the farm and business going. Are you willing to post a picture or video tour of your farm on the forum?

If I remember correctly, they bagged some of the guavas at your farm to protect them from fruit flies right?