Author Topic: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree  (Read 36238 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
Man, I just couldn't have done this.

I'd give anything to have any Zill's mango that size!

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
Cut all your trees down. Raise rabbits they produce well.
Mike

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
You guys jumped to conclusions.  I posted a pic of my tree trimmings from my other trees.  I am trying to keep them in the 6-8' height range to make picking fruit easier.  Most of my mango trees are done producing fruit for this year so it seems like a good time to aggressively prune.  This is my Pina Colada mango tree, the trunk is about 4 inches thick at the base; the tree is about 7' tall.  I plan on giving the PC another year to prove itself. 

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2014, 05:45:26 PM »
Aggressively prune 2 - 3 year old trees?  Give a 2 year old tree one more year to prove itself?  Keep at 6-8 feet?  You seriously need to listen and learn...

...or better yet, go with rabbits, pines, brazilian pepper and bougainvillea, you will be much better off and have less issues.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
Aggressively prune 2 - 3 year old trees?  Give a 2 year old tree one more year to prove itself?  Keep at 6-8 feet?  You seriously need to listen and learn...

...or better yet, go with rabbits, pines, brazilian pepper and bougainvillea, you will be much better off and have less issues.

I believe Dr. Campbell knows more about mango trees than you...

http://youtu.be/WMhmNAiRHC0?list=PL4ytJ6E8eVLqsAULZhLeFoL26L7s65qp2
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2014, 06:01:25 PM »
You tricked us all Mr. Clean, a photo with a bunch of mango leaves with no description and the title of the thread  ;D. Good luck with your tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »
You guys jumped to conclusions.  I posted a pic of my tree trimmings from my other trees.  I am trying to keep them in the 6-8' height range to make picking fruit easier.  Most of my mango trees are done producing fruit for this year so it seems like a good time to aggressively prune.  This is my Pina Colada mango tree, the trunk is about 4 inches thick at the base; the tree is about 7' tall.  I plan on giving the PC another year to prove itself. 

You scared the crap out of all of us. lol Glad you kept it.  :) Personally, I would give the pina colada two more years instead of one. All trees are different.  Even some trees of the same cultivar can show different behaviors depending on their environment. My Valencia Pride is on it's 3rd year and has not even flowered. It just keeps growing and growing and it is already almost as big as my house height wise (1 story). This was the first year that I actually began to take care of it. I kept 6 foot diameter weed/grass free base and already gave the tree two doses of lesco 8-10-10 palm and tropical fertilizer. The tree looks greener and overall more healthy now. My old neighbor had a valencia pride that began to flower and set a few fruit during it's first year in the ground. Overall, some mango trees (same cultivar) can produce right away and some can go through some sort of a juvenile phase like my valencia pride. If four to five years go by and it still doesn't produce much, then I'll give it the ax treatment or top work it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:28:45 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
It should be noted that the tree in that particular video was 5 years old when it received that pruning. However it really isn't about the age of the tree, but rather the size and the vigor by which it is growing.

Some of Mr. Clean's trees had indeed become a little out of control and require(d) more aggressive removal of limbs to restructure/redirect the canopy, though most are still small enough where regular tip pruning should suffice for now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2014, 07:31:13 PM »
Aggressively pruning a two year old tree to keep at 6 feet...the next complaint is that it only held 6 fruit.   Trees are e aas silly managed and picked at up to 12 - 15 feet....especially when one has plenty of land for it
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Pina Colada thoughts
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:27 PM »
I think Mr Clean's frustration is with production (not growth). Slow growing is actually a boon for mango trees .. sorta the holy grail for urban fruit growers -- more variety and less pruning in the same space. It's a short term loss but a long term gain, a bit like getting a college degree -- sucky for the first 4 to 5 years, but pays dividends down the road :-).

BIG is good for things like shade trees, bank accounts, salary, muscles, back yards, etc. But it is bad for fruit trees in a 1/4 urban orchard :-).

I got 2 mangoes from my little 5 foot PC skeleton. They were incredible.

This year was a bad production year for a lot of mango trees. Hopefully we get a more normal climate pattern next year.

Same as Mr Clean, my Pina Colada is a slow and frustrating grower. Easily the worst grower of my new Zills which are also LZ and ST (Sweet Tart). My pina colada also having a bizarrely wide diameter at the base at the graft. Also having a branching out that is 50% of optimum. For comparison I have another grafted tree next to it, planted at same time, that is growing 3 times better. I will post photos.

I hope my pina colada is not on some kind of dwarfing rootstock. Doubtful that it is on a Zill experimental dwarfing rootstock but I wonder.....

pina colada had a spectacular bloom this spring but held no fruits. Hopefully this big bloom means some fruit for 2015. But with such slow growth I hope I have the future orientation to remove all 2015 fruits except one. On iffy trees there is a low anxiety, I am always thinking/wondering ahead about what it will do next year. Anxiety about wasted space in my non-infinite size yard because I do have non-mango trees in pots that need to be in ground but I lack the space. Make that wasted in ground growth time too for these deserving but presently potted fruit trees.

BTW I think it is always good idea to have an army reserve of "new soldiers" growing in pots in case a fruit tree has a disaster or tastes awful. If you never plant them you can always sell them. I recently sold a muscadine grape I was waiting to plant that had great new growth on it simply because four months ago I stepped it up from the original one gallon to a three gallon pot. Thus the buyer has a better head start, She bought it to have grape vines covering part of a garden gazebo, to cool it in summer.

Anyone know when Pina Colada fruits tend to come in? Mid-season or outside mid-season?
Jeff  :-)

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »

What size was the tree when you purchased it?  What size container did it start out in?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 11:43:24 PM »
We should all chip in for the save the Mr. Clean's Pina Colada tree campaign. Maybe we can get him to drop the tree off at the closest orphanage rather than abort it?   I'm sure some infertile mangoless family would love to raise that baby! ;)
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »

Do I see 2 scions grafted on the trunk?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
Clint, yes you do see two through t h e grass and weeds (which look as if they may have been sprayed with roundup.   I guess the old saying is two are better than obe however I would not have put them both o ne on top of the other.  I would hsve put them staggered on different sides of the trunk.
- Rob

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Clint, yes you do see two through t h e grass and weeds (which look as if they may have been sprayed with roundup.   I guess the old saying is two are better than obe however I would not have put them both o ne on top of the other.  I would hsve put them staggered on different sides of the trunk.

To Mr Clean's defense about the weeds,; I have seen Dr Campbell speak about how they let weeds grow around the mango trees at Fairchild Farm- his claim is that the weeds allow for better pollination.
Personally, I like the look of mulch.
I do agree to give the tree more time because many trees do need a few years to start producing well and Pina Colada is so new, that no-one really knows what the norm is.  ( This does not apply to Patrick, who has the magic touch and sprays with magic potions ; since his trees have some extra TLC and behave incredibly well....)
And even if Pina Colada remains a low production tree; I think that Mr Clean has so many nice trees, that mango production will not be an issue in the future. In fact, in a few short years, there will be a sea of mangoes...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
My guess is Richard Campbell is more talking of weeds, or some type of "planted weeds" that may attract insects for pollination  I also do not agree, believe or follow every single word he says.  Experts like him and oou thers do not give away every trick and secret.

And those that think every word is gospel, how do you like all of those curator selections?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2014, 09:50:08 AM »
And did he mean weeds around thev tree or weeds right up against the trunk?
- Rob

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2014, 10:17:47 AM »

Not sure what he meant- he said this at a lecture and his slides did show weeds that were at least close to the trunk, I couldnt tell.

Richard has always told me to mulch and I consider him an expert as well. So differing opinions.

The downside I see logically is that weeds compete for nutrients and moisture , so the later makes sense.

Now once a tree has a significant canopy, unless you cut out most of the middle large branches, like Dr Campbell shows in his video, the shade will choke out the weeks anyway.
Walter Zill's trees have canopies and are close together so the weeds are gone from directly under the tree, but his backyard has significant weeds elsewhere so who knows what his opinion is; I've never asked . Rob, have you ever asked this?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
What size was the tree when you purchased it?  What size container did it start out in?
[/quote]

3 gal.  I put it straight into the ground.
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »

Yes, two Carrie scions.  I am preparing for the future, should PC not produce.
www.FLMangos.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »

http://youtu.be/agr8UCAb7kc
www.FLMangos.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »

http://youtu.be/agr8UCAb7kc

And we all know you have the knowledge, ability and expertise of Richard Campbell.   ::)

...and every thread you start and post you make just keeps reiterating the same.  ???  :-\  :blank:
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »

Yes, two Carrie scions.  I am preparing for the future, should PC not produce.

So, your expertise again shows...seems to me you are preparing for the present.  You are not giving any of these trees time to determine what they will or wont do.

You are trying to "plan for the future" but your tree is not going to have the energy to produce if you are trying to direct energy for those grafts, and vice versa...are you wanting the energy to go to the new scions or the Pina Colada?
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
Really....weeds are fine in the mango orchard but growing up to the trunk is ridiculous, they are robbing the tree unless you fertilize more to compensate. I like a 3-4ft diameter of mulch around trees but others have the philosophy of a 3-4ft diameter of bare earth. Either way such fruit trees roots and feeder roots are not competing with grass and weeds.

Mr. Clean.....  Your PC is 3 times more leafy than mine. It would be even larger and  a quicker grower without those weeds hugging it

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
Really....weeds are fine in the mango orchard but growing up to the trunk is ridiculous, they are robbing the tree unless you fertilize more to compensate. I like a 3-4ft diameter of mulch around trees but others have the philosophy of a 3-4ft diameter of bare earth. Either way such fruit trees roots and feeder roots are not competing with grass and weeds.

Mr. Clean.....  Your PC is 3 times more leafy than mine. It would be even larger and  a quicker grower without those weeds hugging it

He is an expert with "credible sources", any advice we try to give is futile.  At this point he is more of a troll with his constant incessant posts...
- Rob