Author Topic: Kaffir lime disease? Leaf symptoms  (Read 1436 times)

juahime

• West End, Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Kaffir lime disease? Leaf symptoms
« on: February 29, 2020, 09:03:12 PM »
Hi Tropical Fruit Forum!

I recently became a plant lover - a year ago I got a small kaffir lime tree (Limey) to grow and be the queen of the balcony of my apartment in Queensland, Australia.

Limey tree has grown well for a year (even it got a couple of large limes). We have plenty of sun on the balcony (sunny Queensland!).

In recent months, the leaves started to look a bit paler than the desired dark green gloss colour. I wonder if this is due to lack of nutrients. I have read a bit here but I am not sure.

Additionally, some leaves also have developed some large brown spots. Not sure this may be caused by Funghi or if this is actually caused by sunburn?

A few times I identified scales on some branches, and ants around them. However, I tend to eliminate them regularly as they appear.

I have attached a few pictures of the lime tree and the pot. If you could spare 5 minutes of your time to provide some advice about how to keep Limey healthy, it would be much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Juan

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Kaffir lime disease? Leaf symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
I think it needs nitrogen, leaves look evenly yellow.  Are you fertilizing at all?

Sunburn would look like defined patches of browned leaves, usually at the edge.  Certainly sounds possible with the intense sun I hear you have in australia.

juahime

• West End, Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 03:59:39 AM »
Hi,

A month ago, we added around 50g of citrus fertilizer, rich in N2,  based on the instructions that refer to 75g for 75cm pot. However, I feel that was very little. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Juan

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
It takes time for effects of fertilizer to show if deficient.  A foliar spray of low concentrate soluble fert may help improve things faster if that is the issue.  In evening or on a cloudy day.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
Kaffir lime tends to have this problem.
Does it have a rootstock? If it's a seedling then is very prone to root rot during cold.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 07:56:58 AM »
How often do you water etc ? The pot mix looks fairly dry on top and some leaves look dry. If you lift up the pot is it heavy or light ?
You certainly dont want to overwater, but also check that the water is not just running thru the mix.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 08:25:31 AM »
The soil looks extremely dry & the leaves look sun scalded. How long has the tree been in the same pot/soil? Probably time to repot with new soil.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »

I would also check for spider mites...
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk