Author Topic: A wealth of different types of Uvaia  (Read 9416 times)

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
Re: A wealth of different types of Uvaia
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Vitiga, there isn´t a real "sweet" uvaia.
You can just find a few vars less acid, but sweet, not. ;)

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 04:08:38 AM »
okay, thanks for the info. What do you think about my picture ? Is is an uvaia ? I remember i ordered seeds long time ago, and planted some seedlings here and there. Hopefully that is one them.
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
Vitiga, That is a very nice looking plant, how old is it?

I have collected seeds from a couple of different regions and in my limited experience there seem to be 3 general leaf types: long and hairy, large and small. But sweetness of the fruit seems to be a totally independent trait. In all three types there are people who claim to have a ‘sweet’ type. And that would make sense, in apples and peaches sweetness is also not correlated to leaf type or growth habit.
The only correlation I have seen so far is that the large leaves type with downy leaves is extremely vigorous and grows into a very large tree. The others are much easier to grow in pots.

So there is no way to tell what you have until you taste it!

The tree in your picture definitely looks like an Uvaia, I would classify it in the medium to small leaves-type, it probably doesn’t have any down or fuzz on the leaves, am I right? The fruits may turn out round or pear-shaped. You’ll just have to wait and see. Please report back when you have fruit!

Grapebush: I’ll send you the link

Solko

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:43 AM »
Thanks Solko for the info. Well that uvaia in the picture is about 3 years old. Hopefully I might get that specie flowering and fruiting soon... ;) will post pictures when I will get some fruits.
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 02:23:07 AM »
Solko, your plants are very well grown. Congratulation. In our temperate climate, it is not so bad after all, to overwinter inside. The plants flower much earlier, if they experience warmer temperatures during the winter. My precocious plant flowered only in mid of June, last year. No flowers this year. All of my Uvaias look glabrous at first glance. However, observed with a magnifying lens, the leaves have short hairs and are fairly pubescent. Taller, faster growing plants are less pubescent than the smaller, slower growing plants.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
I was lucky enough to see and taste a fruiting Uvaia tree at my neighbor's property here in SW Florida yesterday. Very good fruit, single seed, about 1 inch (25mm), very juicy and apricot/tangerine/very mild slight resin aftertaste.
Fruit looked like this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mercadanteweb/5337167288

It hadn't fruited for several years but after chickens were kept nearby and irrigation run it has fruited. It is multi-trunked and about 8 ft high, in close proximity to a Surinam cherry, and in partial shade. I will take some photos.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
It is a funny thing how with some fruit you cant get a real or straight answer regarding taste that reflects how it really is.Pitangatuba is a bit like that and I had to grow a few from different sources to find out they are sour and have a bit of a resinous taste. Vexator (Jab) was surrounded by fog when it came to what it actually tasted like until I grew some and ate the fruit.It did not live up to expectations.
I grew 'sweet' pyriformis only to find out that one persons sweet is not anothers'.I doubt there are truly sweet pyriformis that are enjoyed out of hand.Well what about the pyriformis x lutescens that have so many gushing reviews? I grew them from different sources and here are some in the handsome paw below.

Guess what? Even those are too sour to be scoffed with leisure.E.canolleana is one of the best thankfully and exceeded my expectations as did E.lutescens that are also sweet and flavoursome.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »
Here are pictures of fruit and branch. The tree lies partly inside a chicken pen and I couldn't find a good angle to get the whole tree in focus. I found the fruit sweet enough to eat out of hand not sour.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
A correction the fruit and tree shown in my previous post has been identified as Pitomba.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:01 PM »
A correction the fruit and tree shown in my previous post has been identified as Pitomba.

Correct. It is Eugenia luschnathiana - Pitomba da Bahia