Author Topic: Any of your Glenn, Cogshall Mango Ready Yet?  (Read 2368 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Any of your Glenn, Cogshall Mango Ready Yet?
« on: June 08, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »

I have Glenn, Cogshall and a few Maha mangoes on my trees. All are still green but we've had about 25" inches of rain since May 13 so I'm not too excited that the flavor is going to be great, but I still want to eat some before the squirrels eat them all, they've been eating a few since they were the size of a large egg totally green!! I was hoping to pick it mature green and let them ripen on the counter or in a paper bag before they eat them all. If some of yours out there are almost ready maybe mine are not far behind?

Thanks!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Any of your Glenn, Cogshall Mango Ready Yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 06:00:29 PM »
I've harvested about 60 Glenns so far this year. 4 today. Must be 20+ still on the little tree. Getting a few most days, love that they are not ripening at the same time. They were a little washed out last week, but still good. The ones ripening now are very good. The sweetness is there, and peachy. Some of them are more complex, one even had an additional coconut flavor to it, which makes no sense but it was nice.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
All of my mangoes are still in pots as I await the day I can plant them in Punta Gorda. My Glenn has produced one mango and I look forward to trying it. I'm not sure when to pick it, though? Maybe being potted is a good thing considering all the rain--maybe it won't be as washed out as in-ground rain-soaked ones apparently are.

I also have a couple Pickering nearing completion, and my Neelam and Ice Cream are hopefully holding on to something.

A forum member said a perfect Pickering requires patience. How do I know when it's time?

Glenn:

Pickering:

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:14 PM »
It is easy to determine when Glenn is ready. Smell it. If the fruit smells a little peachy, it is ready. Also, as soon as a little yellow starts to show, it is ready.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »
My Cogshall has been giving up fruit for about 2 weeks now.  Despite all the rain we've received here in Broward the fruits have been delicious.  As we've discussed previously I've been diligent about picking them early to avoid jelly seed and it's paid off.  No problems so far, though the Cogshall is still a soft mango that is ready to go mushy quickly.
My Pickering is just now starting to give me some fruit.  A few mangoes went all yellow and came off the tree with a slight tug.  They are now sitting on the counter under my watchful eye.  :)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »
I've been eating from my Glenn for a few weeks now, the earlier ones were very good but a bit watered down and they are getting better.

Regards,

Gary

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 12:15:34 AM »
"but I still want to eat some before the squirrels eat them all"

This year I started using cayenne pepper & petroleum jelly and coating the trunk of the trees with the mix. So far, I have even found a couple of Pickering mangoes laying untouched on the ground and the squirrels are nowhere to be found.

Talking about the Pickering, I have also had the same experience with all the rain we have received or continue receiving here in Broward where the mangoes are turning very yellow and either dropping from tree or getting detached by just holding them in my hand. The flavor is not what I experienced last year —the coconut flavor is barely noticeable.

Here is one of them still waiting to be devour:

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »

Thanks all!! Apparently I'm way behind the rest of you  :(...I'll try picking one and see if it will ripen?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:48:10 AM »
I already picked 40 cogshall, about have my crop this year, they've been really good.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »
I already picked 40 cogshall, about have my crop this year, they've been really good.

Skhan, are you picking them mature green or waiting till they have some pinks/yellows and a slight give when squeezed? Mine are rock hard and only a hint of color and those are only present on the fruits that get full sun... thanks!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »

Skhan, are you picking them mature green or waiting till they have some pinks/yellows and a slight give when squeezed? Mine are rock hard and only a hint of color and those are only present on the fruits that get full sun... thanks!
Both, some have fallen off soft and ripe.
Seems like the crop will be all done before July

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk