Author Topic: Garcinia varieties (Mangosteen family) for Pushing Zone Limits - Growing in Pots  (Read 1797 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
I have notice a few topics starting as links to external youtube presentations. I wonder why people aren't engaging in these topics so much with interactive banter? I know I'm just lazy and want to read something fast.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
For some reason I can't stand watching video.  I'm actually interested in this topic, I was hoping it would be a text post.  I am sad that so much good information is posted to youtube instead of text & pictures.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Brian sounds like you're a bit like me in that shared experiences and interactive and iterative conversations suit you better. Some people do prefer monlogues from experts and the opportunity to reconvene back on the topic is there.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
For some reason I can't stand watching video.  I'm actually interested in this topic, I was hoping it would be a text post.  I am sad that so much good information is posted to youtube instead of text & pictures.

so instead of starting to discuss the topic, you come to the thread just to complain, when i posted a link to a video with 20 minutes of talking about the subject?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Great vid Adam!

I love garcinias. Such cool plants. Have several that you have, but not imbe, dulcis, and xantho. Growing mangostana, aristata, and hombroniana as well.

Its funny, lemon drop tastes a bit sour to me, which I like. My friend, says they don't taste sour at all to him, and he loves them too.

Luc's grows the slowest for me. Achachairu too. Even mangostana grows faster. Seashore/homb. grows the fastest for me.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
I am growing Lucs , achachairu, gummi-gutta and lemondrop. Lemondrop is indeed sour, but if it gets really ripe or overripe, the sweetness will balance it out, let them turn deep orange color and you may like it. Have tasted only one lucs so far for a local grower, it was the first ever crop of the tree, and it was not a big size probably a bit bigger in size compared to lemondrop and sour as well, i guess they get bigger in size and sweeter over the years. All of them are in pots and i find gummi-gutta and achachairu faster grower compared to Lucs.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
I really dont understand why ya’ll are complaining bout adam not typing the info😂. Adam always delivers consistent quality videos involving plinias, myrciarias ,garcinias and sometime pouterias. I think being able to see the plants and hear adam’s knowledege at the same time is way better than regular old text. I found his channel about a year ago and i’ve learnt more about plinias and myrciarias in his channel vs this forum (probably because people dont answer threads as much and then die out). Maybe you should check his channel out i bet that would change ur mind.

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Yes I have seen the video and coincidently a large proportion of the species are ones I and friends grow. I wasn't complaining about the vid btw just the style of delivery that suits me. At least people are talking about the topic now.
The southern brazil cluster being species like brasiliensis. gardneriana and intermedia are pretty similar and each is quite variable. They are some of the smallest species around and easy to grow and get fruit from. They are also great rootstock for Luc's, achachairu and some of the more glamorous madrono (4 or 5 species) types. I am not sure if macrocarpa/macrphylla, dulcis, Luc's,Russell sweet and fuzzy madruno have been taken to the limit but they would be good to put to the test.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile

so instead of starting to discuss the topic, you come to the thread just to complain, when i posted a link to a video with 20 minutes of talking about the subject?

Lol! Haters gonna hate. I enjoy the videos and always learn something 😎
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Weird comment and a complaint about a complaint is a double negative. 'haters' really? At least this thread has some interaction and colour now and more action than the usual link to video threads. Collective experiences shared are different from one person's monologue and comments made were from that perspective. Nothing wrong with a little robust dialogue. The growing in pots theme and pushing the limits of temperatures subject matter of the video I expected from the title was a bit different from the content.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
I watch the videos for the chickens.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
I tried, lmao.

What experiences have others had with supposedly "dioecious" garcinias? 

Growing g. hombroniana. Has not flowered yet (7-8 feet tall), and wondering if will need another tree or graft to get fruit.

Also, can they be pollinated with other garcinias?

...and yes, the chickens. who doesn't want to keep up with those crazy chickens. not sure why, but they make me laugh. I have to settle for peacocks and woodpeckers

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I tried, lmao.

What experiences have others had with supposedly "dioecious" garcinias? 

Growing g. hombroniana. Has not flowered yet (7-8 feet tall), and wondering if will need another tree or graft to get fruit.

Also, can they be pollinated with other garcinias?

...and yes, the chickens. who doesn't want to keep up with those crazy chickens. not sure why, but they make me laugh. I have to settle for peacocks and woodpeckers

I have one growing as well. Maybe a year behind yours.
If they are opposite we can swap scions

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Garcinia are a bit complicated with their genders. It certainly isn't a case of all Rhedia types being mono and the old world types having separate sexes. Mangosteens never have males and seeds are not true seeds. Dulcis, forbesi and xanthochymus are Asians that can fruit freely on their own. Some NW south American species seem to have separate sexes.Some also have smaller fruit that is all presumably female when no male is present.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video Adam.  How many years ago did we get our Garcinia collection started, thanks to you?  Some are finally fruiting after years of waiting. 

I was finally able to identify G. gardneriana thanks to this video.  At least that’s what I think it is at this time.

The chickens rule!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:48:23 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Thanks for the video Adam.  How many years ago did we get our Garcinia collection started, thanks to you?  Some are finally fruiting after years of waiting. 

I was finally able to identify G. gardneriana thanks to this video.  At least that’s what I think it is at this time.

The chickens rule!

Could you show us a couple of your Achacha trees? Eager to see how they do in Florida. From my experience they love the heat!

,William

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
thanks very much!

did u get that madrono i had?

The chickens rule!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com