Author Topic: Is this a dragonfruit plant?  (Read 989 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Is this a dragonfruit plant?
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
My neighbor has a cactus that grows as a vine and occasionally gets tons of flowers that open at night. I've never seen a fruit on it, but if he only has one variety, I guess that's to be expected. Can you tell by these pictures? Or would you need a photo of the flowers (it doesn't have any now)?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a dragonfruit plant?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:51:58 AM »
Yes its DF.
Brad Spaugh

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
Cool! When it flowers again, how could I hand pollinate it? Would I need pollen from my dragonfruit plants when they eventually flower, or could I just use a turkey baster to suck up pollen on one flower of the vine and shoot into another? (Before anyone says it, I'm good friends with the neighbor. ;)) Or should I expect it to fruit itself after my varieties bloom? My plants are about half a block away. I'm not sure what kind of night pollinators we have around here and what kind of range they have.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:56:57 AM »
You can use pollen from your plant and a paint brush.  You can try its own pollen but sounds self sterile if theres 0 fruit set.  If his doesnt fruit but it flowers hard they should replace it with a self fruiting type.  That is if they have no interest in a 2nd plant or hand pollinating.  Half a block is probably too far for much cross pollination.  You will need to do it.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk