Author Topic: Super Rich Oxygen Storage Enhances Nutraceutical Properties In Blood Orangs  (Read 2722 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Red-fleshed varieties of sweet oranges known as 'blood oranges' have been listed as one of the promising new "superfoods" due to their health properties. The blood oranges are distinguished from blond varieties by high accumulation of anthocyanins and superior antioxidant activity of the juice.  Tarocco, Moro and Sanguinello are the most important blood orange varieties commercially. Italian scientists have investigated the chemical changes in the composition of blood oranges caused by the super atmospheric oxygen storage. For the study, the oranges were kept for 40 days at 50-F (10-C) in hermetically closed chambers continuously ventilated with normal atmospheric air (control) and with oxygen-enriched air containing 76 kPa O2 . Results showed that super rich atmospheric oxygen enhanced anthocyanin accumulation in the fruit juice. By the end of storage, total anthocyanin content in the juice of the enrich O2 oranges increased almost tenfold compared with the ir noemal level, while only a threefold increase was observed in the control. - Millet
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:56:16 PM by Millet »

VeiledMaid

• Maricopa Arizona USA Zone 9
    • View Profile
Thank you for this post.
Do you have a link to the published paper?
I'd like to know if that would be the fruit, or the plant, that is kept at higher O2?
What percent O2?
(kpa is atmospheric pressure, which will change depending on altitude, or artificial pressurization; but how much O2 was fed?)

Sorry for being a pest Millet; but this interests me incredibly.
I can replicate this, and feed the Anthocyanin rich fruit to my family's pet Butterfly Koi. That will be fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI4LD4rm_bE
- Veiled Maid
@VeiledMaid

Just purchased another 10 acres. I need to plant more fruit trees.
Wanted / Wish List: Durian, Marang, and any fruit that has cool spikes or looks fury

My microclimate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disiR01AaCo Sandstorm season 3/4 of the year. Wish me luck!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile

VeiledMaid

• View Profile
I Thank you Millet
Those conditions are so easy to replicate, at least for my purposes.
- Veiled Maid
@VeiledMaid

Wanted / Wish List: Durian, Marang, and any fruit that has cool spikes or looks fury

My microclimate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disiR01AaCo Sandstorm season 3/4 of the year. Wish me luck!

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
I Thank you Millet
Those conditions are so easy to replicate, at least for my purposes.

Please do tell how you plan on creating a pressure stable hermetically sealed super oxygenator for home use.

VeiledMaid

• View Profile
It's easy. This will be a fun family engineering project, and encourage my kids to eat healthy fruit ;) We can monitor it, and control it via smart phone.

Parts:
Extra large fridge in the garage.
Spare welding O2 tank
Hose and attachment
Pressure gauge
Multi meter (set to temperature gauge)
Wemo and Smartphone (For those who don't code, just use Wemo Smart Phone and IFTTT)
Drill
Pipe sealant
Lock for fridge (to make sure no one accidentally opens it during the process)
Fruit ( Fruit that produces Anthocyanins ((cold temperature when it will naturally produce more of the pigment/antioxidant any way)) so you can stress it with O2 causing a response of the Antioxidant (pigment Anthocyanin) to combat the assault of O2; making healthier fruit (High anti oxidant, and wonderful color)

Parts that you don't already have can be purchased at home depot and harbor freight tools.

Our local Harbor freight and Home Depot know myself and my family by name. For us, we don't just think of something. We build it.
I'll post pics on my twitter, when we have some yummy extra red fruit for my family, and our Butterfly Koi. I may do a DIY, when and if I see that results would be sufficient for the effort. I'm sure that anyone with basic engineering skills could come up with something similar. It was my son that thought of this.

- Veiled Maid
@VeiledMaid

VeiledMaid

• View Profile
Starling,

The only thing that you really need to reproduce from their experiment, for the fruit to produce more Anthocyanins, is the added O2 and the winter temperature. You do not need the 'mountain altitude' kPa to stimulate the fruit to produce more Anthocyanin.

If you want to experiment with your Anthocyanin rich fruits, you can see this happen while your fruit is on your trees by using a large baggie, a few rubber bands, and O2. If you don't already have an O2 tank for welding, you can purchase O2 included with a cheap torch kit.

Use rubber band to seal the open end of the bag onto fruit.
Cut open a hole in the opposite end, and deflate it.
Inflate the bag with O2
Seal the bag with another rubber band.
Watch fruit that is hyper oxygenated respond by creating more Anthocyanins, and compare it to every other fruit on your tree.

It is really this simple.

- Veiled Maid
@VeiledMaid