Author Topic: Genetic tests reveal differences between leaves and roots in a single tree  (Read 3233 times)

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Very interesting article on doing a full genetic sequence of multiple tissues from an individual tree and supposed clones:

http://www.nature.com/news/tree-s-leaves-genetically-different-from-its-roots-1.11156

This study was done with cottonwood trees (which grow as weeds around here and send up suckers in my lawn), but if cottonwood trees can vary that much from branch to branch, it makes you wonder if the grafted fruit trees are really genetically identical.   Without full genome sequences from multiple places across the tree, I guess you could never be sure!

Kevin

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
lots of research has been done on this in India,  clonal variability is well documented.

In theory a scion you graft on a tree today, should be genetically identical to the mother tree and all its previous generation to the original tree of that variety, but this is NOT the case.

In India they have noticed variations in cloned trees, and at first believed it was just climate, seems over time, there are changes occurring at the genetic level.

This is not a bad thing at all, because of this variation, a plantation with 10,000 trees may produce some trees that have adapted positively some trait.  these new strains of the original variety can then be cloned.  its almost like an assisted evolution.   

Article have suggested that climate and even rootstock, can have a permanent influence and changes  over the original DNA of your clonal stock.

This reminds me of a documentary called "ghost in your genes" regarding epigenetics.  I wouldnt be surprised that this happens in the plant kingdom also.
Part 1 of 5 - The Ghost in your Genes - BBC Horizon

Update:
A more recent report from NOVA,  which confirms the research done in the above documentary.

Which convinces me that even a clone, over time will change in characteristics.  they may have the same Genes, but those genes will have different expressions over time.

Epigenetics in NOVA SCIENCE

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:19:25 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Ok Harry - what's the rootstock of your original Maha Chanok tree? ;D
Tim

Adacaosky

• View Profile
I have read of reports which document the effects that rootstocks have on plants and the unexpected  expression of combined genes in the resultant seeds grown. Characteristics from both the rootstock and grafted plant combined! 

This is in addition to normal differences found between leaves, branches, roots, etc. of the same tree. No surprise how "sport" branches lead to new varieties. :)

It's all so very interesting!
✌🏽

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Ok Harry - what's the rootstock of your original Maha Chanok tree? ;D

Whatever rootstocks were used by the Thai grafters that did the grafting in Thailand almost twenty years ago.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
That's easy...

Whatever rootstocks were used by the Thai grafters that did the grafting in Thailand almost twenty years ago.

Harry
Tim

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Thank you for posting the videos on epigenetics.

Rootstock influence is often dramatic, and so is fertilizer influence, soil biology influence, weather influence, and so on.  Plants in different circumstances can often be difficult to recognize, because they are so visibly different.
Har

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
I have read of reports which document the effects that rootstocks have on plants and the unexpected  expression of combined genes in the resultant seeds grown. Characteristics from both the rootstock and grafted plant combined! 

This is in addition to normal differences found between leaves, branches, roots, etc. of the same tree. No surprise how "sport" branches lead to new varieties. :)

It's all so very interesting!

I also love this stuff,   I wonder what they would find if they did a genetic analysis of one of the original Haden trees, and compared it with a Haden tree in Mexico.  I bet they would find changes.

The issue with rootstocks and climate etc may be part of the reason that  Alphonso,  Kensington and other mangoes seem to differ in taste compared to the countries they are popular in.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk