Author Topic: Encouraging root growth?  (Read 9753 times)

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging root growth?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I heard that painting the inside of the pot with a copper based paint will prevent the roots from growing to touch the pot, which helps to prevent the tree from being root-bound.

This does work; I've seen it used successfully and tried it myself.  The easier, cheaper, less-toxic option is to use fabric pots which also prevent circling roots and create an even better, more-branched root system.

Kevin

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging root growth?
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 10:06:02 PM »
I heard that painting the inside of the pot with a copper based paint will prevent the roots from growing to touch the pot, which helps to prevent the tree from being root-bound.

This does work; I've seen it used successfully and tried it myself.  The easier, cheaper, less-toxic option is to use fabric pots which also prevent circling roots and create an even better, more-branched root system.

Kevin

I have read about using copper wire wrapped around the base of a plant to prevent slugs and things from slithering up.  the copper causes a minute electrical charge, ( probably due to electrolysis ). of course it wont do anything for flying pests.  so makes sense that it would work on roots, I have some stuff in fabric pots now, we will see how well these do next year when I transplant. I have 1 small Mangosteen in a big 10 gallon fabric pot, also inoculated , I am doing everything to develop the roots on this plant.  its only been in the pot a month and already has pushed out new set of leaves. so I am guessing it is happy.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk